School me, briefly, on the Grateful Dead essential album or two.

Discussion in 'Music to Your Ears' started by TokyoPortrait, Jun 24, 2019.

1. Mexitele Blues

Mexitele Blues Tele-Meister

I think everyone is correct about American Beauty and Workingman's Dead. Their later studio albums are hit or miss in my opinion; I love Terrapin Station, but could never get into Blues for Allah. Europe '72 and Fillmore East are great for the early live era.

TokyoPortrait and brookdalebill like this.
  2. Viejo

Viejo Tele-Holic

Europe 72 is the one I would recommend.

TokyoPortrait likes this.
  3. Blue Bill

Blue Bill Poster Extraordinaire Ad Free Member

I love Blues for Allah. But, if that's the first album you hear, it might give a skewed impression, without the context of the earlier material. But it's a cool album.

brbadg, P Thought, erix and 2 others like this.
  4. bumnote

bumnote TDPRI Member

I'm not really a Dead fan...jam bands ultimately just bore the living hell out of me.
    That said...there are A LOT of Dead songs I love.
    I'll echo American Beauty and Working Man's Dead they're great albums and classics.
    What A Long Strange Trip It's Been is a good "sample" collection. To people like me who aren't Deadheads...it dips it's toe into the late 60's- mid 70's Dead material to give an indication of what the band is like while still remaining accessible to a general audience.

Big fan of some of Garcia's solo songs too....love this one.

brbadg and TokyoPortrait like this.
  5. radiocaster

radiocaster Poster Extraordinaire

I don't like Workinman's Dead as much, I don't hate it but it wouldn't be on my top list.

TokyoPortrait and Blue Bill like this.
  6. Paul in Colorado

Paul in Colorado Telefied Ad Free Member

"Hundred Year Hall." Live from the '72 European Tour. A transition album as Pigpen was still alive and Keith and Donna were in the band.

I've been listening to "Dylan and the Dead" a lot lately.

The original "Live Dead" from '69 is still my favorite.

7. kinkstah

kinkstah Tele-Afflicted

Another vote for:
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

brbadg, P Thought, Greggorios and 5 others like this.
  8. Mike Eskimo

Mike Eskimo Doctor of Teleocity Ad Free Member

All live.

If you like them after that , then the two from 70.

Cornell and Veneta would get my vote but any Filmore shows from 70-71 would too.

This may seem harsh but the quickest way to turn a new listener off the GD is to play them stuff from the late 80’s to the end.

It’s just not the best era of their playing/sound. The new tunes aren’t great and their are no definitive versions of any of their older material.

P Thought and TokyoPortrait like this.
  9. warrent

warrent Friend of Leo's

I'd start with Live Dead if only for dark star and st stephen. And then I would listen to steal your face. That's the live album where a lot of people get off the bus. If you still like them then there's a ton of stuff on archive.org

10. GGardner

GGardner Tele-Afflicted

I'm not a big Dead fan by any stretch of the imagination. But Workingman's Dead is just a great album from start to finish.

Also completely enjoyable is the album that Garcia recorded with David Grisman in 1991.

11. Martin R

Martin R Friend of Leo's Silver Supporter

I'm partial to Europe 72. The first Dead song I ever heard was Cumberland Blues from that album. Every song is smart, super tight, and energetic, (okay, Prelude and Epilogue don't count).
    Reckoning is pure joy. A lot of fun but not typical.
    Skull and Roses is really good. The band was really rocking but it's not as varied as Europe 72.
    Anyway, welcome to the club...and stay in touch.

12. OlRedNeckHippy

OlRedNeckHippy Friend of Leo's

P Thought, TokyoPortrait and DavidP like this.
  13. LoveHz

LoveHz Tele-Holic

I don't know if this is just a European release, but I bought a 32-track budget price double cd The Best Of The Grateful Dead (with a very informative booklet) that more or less spans the band's whole career -- or as well as you can do that in 32 tracks. From this you can pick which era best floats your boat and so seek out particular periods of their work.

14. Texicaster

Texicaster Tele-Meister

Dylan and the Dead is often classified as the rock bottom worst ever by both artists! It suffers from song selection IMO. Couple of ok cuts but .....

A lot of just comping the classic Dead hambone riff that makes it all sound the same.

If you can find a copy of the rehearsals they did kinda cool!

15. natec

natec TDPRI Member

Nothing wrong with suggestions so far (I've been a fan for quite a while) but it also depends on what type of music you're into. As I was introducing them to my Dad, I started with the Jerry Garcia Band album (1991, I think recorded at the Warfield) as well as the 'Pink' Garcia & Grisman album because it has covers of some old folk songs that he knew. When I was introducing them to my Mom - I went with 'Not for kids only' also by Garcia & Grisman, and also because it had songs she knew from her childhood.

Both the above were gateway-albums that ultimately led them to Workingman's Dead, American Beauty, etc. Not everyone can jump right into the long spacey jams on Two from the Vault (among my favorites) or Dick's Picks...

OlRedNeckHippy and TokyoPortrait like this.
  16. Old Deaf Roadie

Old Deaf Roadie Tele-Holic

Europe '72 & the Skull & Rose's albums did it for me, as far as albums go. But, the shows are where it is/was.

P Thought, TokyoPortrait and Martin R like this.
  17. DavidP

DavidP Friend of Leo's

Yes to both to get the must-have 'live' experience!!
    And, of course 'Workingman's Dead' & 'American Beauty' for classic studio cuts.

18. PastorJay

PastorJay Tele-Afflicted

American Beauty. Or Europe 72 (if you want the live sound). These represent the same era and the transition from psychedelia to Americana.

Later era I would go with Steal Your Face (another live recording), Shakedown Street, or the live Barton Hall recording, Cornell/8/77.

In the Dark probably represents the peak of their popularity (when most peoples' interest was piqued), and contains their only real hit, but the earlier recordings have more songs that were (and are again) long-time staples of the repertoire.

My favorite era for live sound was 80-85, but I don't have a particular recording to recommend for that. Pick a couple off the list above, then maybe find something off of Dick's or Dave's picks from this era to round it out a little.

19. TokyoPortrait

TokyoPortrait Tele-Holic

Maybe at first? But, it was written out. Explained the etymology, 'piquer' - to *****, and all that. They just oddly resisted. Some sort of 'I've never heard of that therefore it can't be real' kind of thing. Oh well.

Thanks for the other info.

Pax/
    Dean

Edit: wow, the site software seems to have censored me! The "*****" above has been inserted in place of the verb I used. Starts with "p" and ends in "rick," as in, with a needle.

Last edited: Jun 24, 2019
    P Thought and ponce like this.
  20. Teleterr

Teleterr Friend of Leo's

Certainly wasn't the case Soldier's Field Philidelphia. Jerry s solo on Watch Tower couldn't t have been done better by Jimi himself. Killer live show. I ve never heard the album since your opinion is pretty much the concensious and I want to keep my rememberance unsullied.

IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.