Asher Guitars WD Music Products Amplified Parts Mod Kits DIY Nordstarnd Pickups Warmoth.com
Asher Guitars WD Music Products Amplified Parts Mod Kits DIY Nordstarnd Pickups Warmoth.com

School me about Godin guitars (solid-bodies)

Discussion in 'Other Guitars, other instruments' started by Crawldaddy, Sep 27, 2017.

1. Crawldaddy

Crawldaddy Tele-Meister

Dec 12, 2006
    Singapore
    Hello guys!

So I've seen a few Godin solid body guitars; played them in store, was in a band where the guitarist's main axe is a Godin. But... I just don't seem to be able to appreciate them. I've always owned Fender and Gibson instruments and their knock-offs and emulators, but never a Godin.

From my perspective, the neck carve (at least for the ones I've tried) is always a little too flat, and I have a hard time wrapping my brain around the concept of a bolt-on construction but 24-3/4" scale length. Body shape is okay, I like originality.

So... Godin owners, share with me why you love your Godin axes so much, and school me on what I'm missing out on!

2. Jupiter

Jupiter Telefied Ad Free Member

Jun 22, 2010
    Osaka, Japan
    I have a LGSP-90. Build quality, fit and finish is impeccable. I really like the neck on mine. Frets had undergone a L&C at the factory (don't know if they still do that) and were nicely dressed, with the edges rolled a bit. Very thin, natural, un-grain-filled finish on the mahogany neck that was never sticky even from the first day. The maple top has very interesting non-bookmatched grain. I also like the recessed TOM bridge that lets you get the strings a bit closer to the top of the guitar.

Mine has SD P-90s in it, and they can roar. Wiring's clean and simple and the cavity is sprayed with shielding paint.
    godin.jpg

Only thing is it's kinda heavy...

Crawldaddy likes this.

3. Milspec

Milspec Tele-Afflicted

Feb 15, 2016
    Nebraska
    2- Godin Session Custom
    Godin 5th Ave Kingpin ll

I think Godin really understand what they are going for. Always very well made and North American built with local sourced woods without the price tag.

That Session is just well balanced up and down the neck for me, I like the bridge (strong yet jangly) and LOVE those revoicer circuits where the passive pickups become active with the push of a button.

The problem that they have is that they are not Gibson or Fender and seem to combine the two in style components. If you are used to playing either of the big names listed, the Godin just will not feel quite right to you due to the mashing of elements, but they work great for those that are relatively new and are not set in their ways yet.

I haven't added one yet, but I think they may have built one of the absolute best semi-hollow bodies in the Montreal Premiere Supreme. I loved that thing when I tried it, but haven't had the money yet to make it happen.

4. harold h

harold h Tele-Afflicted

Feb 15, 2004
    I like the model called the SD.

5. Crawldaddy

Crawldaddy Tele-Meister

Dec 12, 2006
    Singapore
    Nice! I see one on my local classifieds, and was tempted but I happen to own a Gibson SG Classic, so kind of hard to justify buying a second double-P90 guitar!

6. FMA

FMA Poster Extraordinaire

Apr 29, 2003
    I hear you. I had one of those single-cut dual P-90 jobs, a goldtop, and while it was a fine guitar, I just couldn't get along with it. Something about the feel and the way it played.

7. atomfissure

atomfissure Tele-Holic

May 31, 2010
    Pittsburgh, PA
    I've got a Godin Session (basically a Strat with a humbucker in the bridge position). I find the trem feels a little cheap, or at least less responsive than the one on my Strat. But sound-wise, I actually prefer it to my strat. The neck just feels really great to me, and it's just easier somehow to coax some of the classic strat sounds out of it. My only complaint about it is that it's sunburst. I hate sunburst. But the guitar plays great, so what are you gonna do?

Milspec likes this.

8. Bob M

Bob M Tele-Holic

May 11, 2011
    North of Boston
    I've got an LG90. It serves to scratch the p 90 itch. It's a nice guitar for the money. I may eventually set it up for slide. Well made. My only gripe is it seems heavy.
    IMG_0062.JPG

Crawldaddy likes this.

9. Jupiter

Jupiter Telefied Ad Free Member

Jun 22, 2010
    Osaka, Japan
    Yep, and this guitar is the main reason I don't own an LP DC special yet... ;)

10. Crawldaddy

Crawldaddy Tele-Meister

Dec 12, 2006
    Singapore
    The irony, is that I am embarking on a 3TS sunburst strat build this weekend! Hoo boy...!

11. Crawldaddy

Crawldaddy Tele-Meister

Dec 12, 2006
    Singapore
    Beautiful guitar! Somehow the black hardware and the gold finish seem to work well together, even if may not be so successful on models of other Brand’s.

12. SamIV

SamIV Tele-Meister

May 14, 2011
    South Louisiana
    I own a Session, Session Custom, and two Progressions. Necks are all the same. All very well built guitars. I upgraded the pickups in my Session and it was a major improvement. Pickups in the other three are staying. Playing improved on all with a level and crown except for the Session. Did not need one. I seem to play the Session Custom the most though. Very comfortable guitar. One day I hope to own a couple of Passions.

Last edited: Sep 29, 2017

13. Controller

Controller Friend of Leo's Silver Supporter

Jun 11, 2010
    Montana
    I am also not a fan of sunburst, but I have two! More importantly, my wife hates sunburst. She doesn't care how many guitars I have but the color matters.

14. Milspec

Milspec Tele-Afflicted

Feb 15, 2016
    Nebraska
    What were the upgrades? Did you keep the bridge pickup?

15. SamIV

SamIV Tele-Meister

May 14, 2011
    South Louisiana
    I had Buddha Pickups wind the singles the same specs as G&l singles in my bothers G&l US Legacy. These replaced the Duncan SSL-1's they used in the past. A5's but a little hotter. And another G&l humbucker that came out of an ASAT Deluxe Carved Top that I liked but not so much the guitar. It splits extremely well and most humbuckers do not. I found them a very big improvement. Just so happened I liked what was in these G&l guitars. I think the pickups in the Session are its weak point. Couple of mine below

Attached Files:

Last edited: Sep 29, 2017
    Milspec likes this.

16. 24 track

24 track Poster Extraordinaire Ad Free Member

Nov 6, 2014
    kamloops bc
    I have a lefty nylon string synth ready and it plays unfricken believable, I had a severe, neck fusion at C4-C5 ( was at the point of paralisys ) but i lost all feeling in my ands arms and my legs were pooched from about 20 or more years of nerve damage My wife got me the Godin to get me back into playing due to its wider fret board , this guitar is a real treat to play ( she also got me the Roland GR 55 synth to go with it) I have my feeling back but never quite got all of my chops back every day is an adventure and I cherish the capability to play again no matter hoow good or bad , the Godin is a quality plus instrument, and I jumped on it as soon as I saw there were lefties being made, Zero complaints about this axe! PS my wife is the best!!!

P1011545.JPG

Milspec likes this.

17. SamIV

SamIV Tele-Meister

May 14, 2011
    South Louisiana
    I see a Crown amp. That's a blast from the past and glad you are doing better. Sounds like you picked the right girl as well. And nice guitar as well.

24 track and rad1 like this.

18. 24 track

24 track Poster Extraordinaire Ad Free Member

Nov 6, 2014
    kamloops bc
    thank you very much!

I love a good KIJIJI find crown (amcron DC300-A) 50.00 had a blown cap so i replaced them all! MS.24 & I have been together for 40 years, married for 34 , we share a brain, its scary she's a keeper and we still laugh every day . we take pride in surprizing each other with cool things we each like ( It dont git better than that!)

IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.