Asher Guitars WD Music Products Amplified Parts Mod Kits DIY Nordstarnd Pickups darrenriley.com
Asher Guitars WD Music Products Amplified Parts Mod Kits DIY Nordstarnd Pickups Warmoth.com
Asher Guitars WD Music Products Amplified Parts Mod Kits DIY Nordstarnd Pickups Warmoth.com

Schaller Micro Tuning tail piece (Any Exp?) aka Headless SG Scuttlebutt

Discussion in 'Tele Home Depot' started by ndeli55, May 16, 2018.

1. ndeli55

ndeli55 Tele-Afflicted

May 12, 2008
    oklahoma
    I'm brainstorming a Headless SG build. SG's are known for neck dive, so a remedy could be going headless. Now the trouble is, I don't want some big honkin' ugly bridge thing, and I don't want to have to remove wood in strange areas creating a butt shape.

My thoughts, right now, a floyd locking nut, and a Schaller Micro Tuner Bridge. Do any of y'all know if there is enough adjustment available in this bridge to be a viable option. Other insults or suggestions are welcome.

http://www.lmii.com/products/mostly...schaller-fine-tuning-tailpiece-nickel/flypage

2. adamkoop

adamkoop Tele-Meister

Feb 18, 2016
    Halifax
    I doubt you'd have enough adjustment on that .. think of how the fine tuners work on a floyd .. you might get a tone, maybe a tone and a half if you're lucky. You'd have to string it basically AT tension in order for that to work ..

you could get creative with some banjo tuners and a vibrola cover if you did this kind of a deal:
    [​IMG]

3. ndeli55

ndeli55 Tele-Afflicted

May 12, 2008
    oklahoma
    I've been seeing that thing floating around and I actually like it. Banjo tuners are an idea. Too bad Steinbergers are so heavily guarded by the bankrupt boys/girls at Gibson.

4. jvin248

jvin248 Poster Extraordinaire

Apr 18, 2014
    Near Detroit, MI
    Try a slot of tuners (my 2015 tdpri build challenge is a Tele headless with regular inexpensive tuners in an angled slot, I'd link but on the phone). You could use two through windows like the traveler(?) Guitars, maybe angled windows right behind the bridge for 3+3.

2blue2 and ndeli55 like this.

5. jvin248

jvin248 Poster Extraordinaire

Apr 18, 2014
    Near Detroit, MI
    One of the interesting things to see about an SG is grab a jpg of an SG and a Tele then line up the pictures by the strap buttons. See how the SG playing features are shifted to the player's left. I hadn't played my SG for a while using mostly the Tele and quite a difference. Look at the body and pickups locations if you center the jpgs on the bridge.

ndeli55 likes this.

6. adamkoop

adamkoop Tele-Meister

Feb 18, 2016
    Halifax
    any time I grab my SG or firebird, I end up playing in B when I mean to play in A, because of how the bodies lie compared to just about anything else.

Banjo tuners are a spendy option, for sure, but pretty .. the steinbergers are a challenge to get, and any i've seen were obscene. Kluson makes some that only run around 150 - 200 per set .. "only" ..

ndeli55 likes this.

7. ndeli55

ndeli55 Tele-Afflicted

May 12, 2008
    oklahoma
    I remember that guitar. I'll dig it up when I have some time.

I would like it to be mostly discrete.

8. alnico357

alnico357 Tele-Meister

Jun 2, 2015
    Arkansas
    I've used that tuner on my Carvin for 32 years. It is for fine tuning, not gross tuning, and works well for its intended purpose.

ndeli55 likes this.

IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.