SAX anyone?

Discussion in 'Music to Your Ears' started by Sanity Inn, May 19, 2019.

1. Sanity Inn

Sanity Inn Tele-Meister

Well, even IF the guitar was a Tele instead of a Strat, would you notice?

cool tune to share, awesome Sax player, i mean really awesome :rolleyes:

Jim W, Teleterr and nojazzhere like this.
  2. nojazzhere

nojazzhere Poster Extraordinaire

Does she ONLY speak German? She and I wouldn't have much to do if she can't sprecken sie Anglais....;)

Sanity Inn likes this.
  3. Musekatcher

Musekatcher Tele-Afflicted

She has great chops, under-utilized, but smooth jazz is about the only place sax fits in commercially.

Sanity Inn likes this.
  4. schmee

schmee Poster Extraordinaire

That's hilarious, been using sax players in most my bands for decades they are usually the hit of the live shows.

5. Teleterr

Teleterr Friend of Leo's

I think Bruce disagees as well. I think alot of guitar solos that are long duration note melodies would be better on Sax.

Sanity Inn likes this.
  6. telemnemonics

telemnemonics Doctor of Teleocity Ad Free Member

Assuming the actual same phrases, might that be because we've all heard too durn much guitar and the sax sounds kinda fresh?

DonM and Sanity Inn like this.
  7. brookdalebill

brookdalebill Tele Axpert Ad Free Member

Lately, the fates have put sax players into my gigs lately.
    I’m going to have a long talk with the fates!;)

Last edited: May 19, 2019
    Sanity Inn and Paul in Colorado like this.
  8. jvin248

jvin248 Poster Extraordinaire

An antigua Strat at that ! ... ouch.
    I was there in the 80s when saxophones were over used everywhere.

These are what impress me at gigs:

Bonus

Sanity Inn likes this.
  9. Kerberos

Kerberos Tele-Holic Silver Supporter

Yes! Sax! My father played. He owned a Selmer Mark VI Tenor. I heard plenty of it. But anyway a cool Sax solo I heard in this Modern Swing Song. The group is called the Swingrowers. They are a Italian group. I dig the Bass Synth when it kicks in. The lady has a killer voice, cool guitarist, and a terrific sax solo. Entertaining video for sure. Enjoy!

10. Teleterr

Teleterr Friend of Leo's

Tom Schulz got a passable long note tone, but any Metal or other ballad w a sustaining solo almost always lacks the big sound stage of a sax. Just more 3D w a sax, the timbre changes, vibrato, and tremlo can be manipulated better.

Sanity Inn and telemnemonics like this.
  11. telemnemonics

Yeah I used to play saxes and really miss all the nuance you can add withing the note, as well as the distance between noted being zero because you just squeeze the right keys and you're there without going anywhere.
    Plus the speedy nature of phrasing!
    Plus the range of sweet to raunchy tones with no pedals!

I guess I try to phrase guitar with some of the fluidity of sax, and also use various Muff and fuzz variants to get a more saxy sustain.
    Actually I also use extreme volume and heavy muting to get the note rise a sax can deliver, where the volume drives the strings and I mute them back, so the envelope can be less guitary and more saxy.

Still though, I really love electric guitar!

And electric cello/ violin!

And drums!

Durn body got all beat up from hard use and now all I can keep up on is guitar...

12. memorex

memorex Friend of Leo's

I also like the underbelly of sax used in this tune:

Sanity Inn and Teleterr like this.
  13. chris m.

chris m. Poster Extraordinaire

Candy Dulfer is Dutch. She puts on an amazing show-- watch some of her other YouTube offerings.

Overall I think sax is fantastic as a solo instrument. You can bend notes with the reed and using breath and embouchure you
    can put all kinds of nuance into every note. There's a reason why many of jazz's titans were sax players....

I also think the ergonomics of the saxophone tend to favor certain phrasing approaches that have really become the standard lingo for
    most jazz. There's a lot more guitar players trying to figure out how to emulate classic sax licks than there are sax players trying to emulate
    classic guitar licks, that's for certain.

Candy Dulfer (born 19 September 1969) is a Dutch pop, funk alto saxophonist and occasional singer who began playing at the age of six. She founded her band, Funky Stuff, when she was fourteen years old. Her debut album Saxuality (1990) received a Grammy nomination. Dulfer has released eleven studio albums, two live albums, and one compilation album. She has performed and recorded songs with musicians including her father Hans Dulfer, Prince, Dave Stewart, Van Morrison, Angie Stone, and Maceo Parker, and has performed live with Alan Parsons (1995), Pink Floyd (1990), and Tower of Power (2014). She hosted the Dutch television series Candy meets... (2007), in which she interviews fellow musicians. In 2013 she became a judge in the fifth season of the Dutch version of X Factor.

Sanity Inn likes this.
  14. Teleterr

Teleterr Friend of Leo's

George has a story about apologizing to the brass about altering their sound w distortion. Brass is a pretty broad term , but I thought he meant typical Trumpets, French Horns and other brass that they would use on Penny Lane, Hello Goodbye etc. I can t think of a Sax anywhere else on a Beatles record.

Sanity Inn likes this.
  15. chris m.

Sax is not considered a brass instrument. It's a reed instrument. Trumpet, Trombone, cornet, flugelhorn, French horn, tuba, trombone, euphonium (small tuba)....if it doesn't have a trumpet-like
    mouthpiece then it isn't brass. At least I think I'm right about that...go ahead and correct me if not....

Sanity Inn likes this.
  16. memorex

memorex Friend of Leo's

Lady Madonna has a sax solo and other sax parts, but no, they didn't use the sax much.

17. DaveTone

DaveTone Tele-Meister

I defer to Jack Nicholson in, "The Departed":

"Lennon said I'm an ahhtist; gimme a f*****g tuber and I'll make ya a song out of it."

Boston Southie diction applied

Sanity Inn likes this.
  18. telemnemonics

Right about brass, but the sax family is the woodwinds, which includes flute and recorder etc.
    Same math to the bore and tone holes, so once you learn to play one it's logical to learn others.
    'Cept bassoon which has half the keys in backwards order!

19. trev333

trev333 Telefied Ad Free Member

these guys used a lot of Sax...

Sanity Inn and Jim W like this.
  20. chris m.

Yeah, I suppose it's a woodwind even though it's not made of wood. It's interesting-- I played clarinet for several years before playing sax. Sax is actually easier to finger because
    the octave fingerings are exactly the same. On a clarinet, the lowest octave is fingered quite differently from the second octave.

I once played in a "wind band", aka "concert band". All instruments are played by blowing into them, except the drums. Basically like a symphony orchestra minus all strings. Lots more clarinets and flutes to make up for the lack of strings.

Sanity Inn likes this.
IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.