Asher Guitars WD Music Products Amplified Parts Mod Kits DIY Nordstarnd Pickups Warmoth.com
Asher Guitars WD Music Products Amplified Parts Mod Kits DIY Nordstarnd Pickups Warmoth.com

Saw Willie Nelson last night

Discussion in 'Bad Dog Cafe' started by Smokin OP, Apr 20, 2003.

1. Smokin OP

Smokin OP Tele-Holic Silver Supporter

Mar 16, 2003
    Leesburg, GA
    Great show last night! He's almost 70 but he played as well as I've ever seen him play. A very stripped down set-up on stage but the music was not. Ran through most of the hits with Jody Payne singing several tunes & also doing the duets with Willie. Towards the end of the set, he rocked the house with 3 or 4 Hank Sr. songs & some gospel numbers. Surprise me when his last song was one of my favorites; Till I Gain Control Again by Rodney Crowell. Great, great show!

OP

2. Madmaestro

Madmaestro Tele-Meister

Willie...

You lucky dawg!!! 8) I've heard he's quite a picker, although he probably had a top gun helpin' him out.

3. Smokin OP

Smokin OP Tele-Holic Silver Supporter

Mar 16, 2003
    Leesburg, GA
    Jody Payne played some harmony lines & took a few leads. He played what looked like a Martin 000-28 through a Fender M80 solid state amp & sounded very good. There was also a younger guy, didn't catch his name, who played a Les Paul Custom with soapbars & a gold Bigsby. Also played through the same kind of amp. Willie said that he played his son in the movie "Honeysuckle Rose". Good player, bad tone. Mickey Raphael played through a new Fender Hot Rod Pro Junior. Sound great as always. Bass player played an acoustic bass guitar with a Roland pup attached. Paul English had a snare drum...that's it, no cymbals. And Pauls brother played the percussions, swapping off with Paul for a few numbers. Aside from the grand piano that Bobby played, I take more gear to a gig than they did.
    :lol:

4. Ward

Ward Tele-Holic

Mar 17, 2003
    San Diego
    I saw Willie a while back

with just Leon Russell and the harmonica player. I was amazed at how full they sounded. Willie is just awesome at accompaning himself. After the show, he signed augographs for everyone at the show (about 500). He really impressd me as a performer and as a good guy whose very gracious towards his fans. Ward

IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.