Asher Guitars WD Music Products Amplified Parts Mod Kits DIY Nordstarnd Pickups darrenriley.com
Asher Guitars WD Music Products Amplified Parts Mod Kits DIY Nordstarnd Pickups Warmoth.com
Asher Guitars WD Music Products Amplified Parts Mod Kits DIY Nordstarnd Pickups Warmoth.com

Saw Dale Watson Last Night!

Discussion in 'Music to Your Ears' started by Vladimir, Mar 12, 2017.

1. Vladimir

Vladimir Friend of Leo's Silver Supporter

Mar 17, 2003
    Zagreb, Croatia
    Last night I had the great pleasure of seeing Dale Watson’s concert for the first time.

He really is a class act, great singing, great guitar picking, and great audience rapport. And the band was great too, classic country lineup: drums, double bass and steel with Celine Lee singing on a few songs.

The repertoire was a mix of old classics and original songs, and everybody in the audience, including me, was blown away by the performance. He’s a true troubadour who fortunately carries the torch all over the world.

Now the interesting part: I could not believe how great his tone sounded from just a Mustang amp. The opening band’s guitarist, a local country legend in his own right, played a backline HRD and while his tone was ok, Dale’s just sounded so much better. It was clean with just the proper amount of compression, and a bit of delay for the rockabilly tunes. It was the cleanest, or should I say clearest Tele tone I’ve ever heard live.

Anyways, check out the video I made with just an iPhone 6s, standing very close to the left PA speaker.

Last edited: Mar 12, 2017
    RomanS, Rustbucket, Crobbins and 3 others like this.
  2. Crobbins

Crobbins Friend of Leo's Ad Free Member

Jul 10, 2014
    Meiners Oaks CA.
  3. OlRedNeckHippy

OlRedNeckHippy Friend of Leo's

Jan 12, 2012
    South Jersey
    Cool!
    I just recently became aware of Dale Watson and am very much digging it.

Our pedal steel player is all but insisting we do Exit 109 (he has learned most of the pedal work already), and as soon as we land a lead guitar player that can do that, we will!

4. Blue Bill

Blue Bill Poster Extraordinaire Ad Free Member

Feb 15, 2014
    Maine
    I love DW! Great Telecaster player, he's the real deal. Too country for country!

Last edited: Apr 12, 2017
    kuvash, Vladimir and Uncle Bob like this.
  5. Endless Mike

Endless Mike Friend of Leo's

Nov 2, 2016
    Arlington, Texas
    Some of that has to do with those G&L MFD pickups.

6. Vladimir

Mar 17, 2003
    Zagreb, Croatia
    I do believe the guitar he was playing had a Fender logo. G&L MFD pickups? I've never even heard of those. If they're that good, could they possibly end all the amp debates here?

7. Teleguy61

Teleguy61 Friend of Leo's

Just saw the Dale & Ray show last week, and they were very entertaining.
    Dale's band with Ray Benson and one of Asleep at the Wheel's fiddlers. They were having fun, it was a good show. We enjoyed it a lot.

8. falcon5romeo

falcon5romeo Tele-Holic

Dec 15, 2015
    Lehigh Valley
    Really wanted to catch him in NYC the past week, couldn't make it. Dale is the real deal. His tele even has a built in phaser!

He's actually alot more influential than people realize, because he basically came up with the 'Ameripolitan' moniker. The local AM station here calls itself an Ameripolitan station, and is always playing soundbites of Dale talking about it. Really cool. He said it was easier to tell people what Ameripolitan is than to try to change their opinions of what country music is. He calls it 'new music with prominent roots influences, starting with Hank Williams, Jimmie Rodgers and Kitty Wells. Right on!

kuvash likes this.
  9. Vladimir

Mar 17, 2003
    Zagreb, Croatia
    You gotta hand it to Dave, one month he's in a far away land across the Atlantic, next month he's touring the East Coast.
    He is the only Country slinger that visits here regularly.
    Maybe it's because his pedal-steel player and his girlfriend are of Croatian origin.:)

10. Vladimir

Mar 17, 2003
    Zagreb, Croatia
    You wouldn't happen to have a website for this radio station?
    Otherwise, I'm an avid WSM650 listener over the internet.

11. Bob M

Bob M Tele-Afflicted Ad Free Member

May 11, 2011
    North of Boston
    He is awesome. Next time he is in New England he is on my must see list. Great picker, some of the best new country records out there.

Blue Bill likes this.
  12. olewaylon

olewaylon TDPRI Member

May 7, 2015
    Iowa
    Dale is such a great player and one of the coolest guys around. I don't understand why he isn't more popular. Seems like he is a bigger hit over seas. That said, when he does make it to my town there is always a decent size crowd in the small venue. Last time I saw him was on a Sunday night and he didn't come out until about 11. I was dog tired but couldn't even be mad once he started playing. He's got a really solid band too.

kuvash likes this.
  13. falcon5romeo

falcon5romeo Tele-Holic

Dec 15, 2015
    Lehigh Valley
    Yeah, it's Sunny 1100AM WGPA. They stream online.

http://wgpasunny1100.com/

14. Vladimir

Mar 17, 2003
    Zagreb, Croatia
  15. vgallagher

vgallagher TDPRI Member

Jan 6, 2017
    Knoxville, TN
    Saw Dale & Ray last Thursday. Great show. Our band does several Dale Watson tunes. One of my favorites for sure. They were using Fender Deluxe Reverbs at this show anyway and of course they sound great! He was playing a Fender telecaster.

16. Endless Mike

Nov 2, 2016
    Arlington, Texas
    That guitar in the video looks like the same G&L he's had since at least the mid 90's. Last time Guitar Player magazine interviewed him, he was still playing it. MFD are the stock pickups G&L puts in almost all of their guitars. They've been using them since Leo began G&L. It's easily found with a Google search. I'll wager that's the G&L Dale is playing. If it's a Fender, he's covered it with the same cr*p he covered his G&L with, but I doubt it.

EDIT: Well he dumped his G&L, which according to him, was given to him directly by Leo Fender. Now he's playing a common Fender. Bummer. I always thought it was cool that he played a G&L.

Last edited: Apr 12, 2017
    Vladimir likes this.
  17. Endless Mike

Nov 2, 2016
    Arlington, Texas

18. scrapyardblue

scrapyardblue Friend of Leo's Silver Supporter

Feb 6, 2007
    central illinois
  19. sawdrl

sawdrl NEW MEMBER!

Dec 2, 2010
    UK
    Hi,

I bought Dales G&L ASAT from him in 1999 in Austin. He got it from Leo Fender way back when. It’s a great guitar, you can see Dale playing it on the ‘Dale Watson Studio Sessions 1986’ on YouTube. He occasionally plays it still when he plays shows near my hometown in the UK.

Vladimir likes this.
  20. Endless Mike

Nov 2, 2016
    Arlington, Texas
    That's pretty amazing. But so is the fact that you found this discussion as it has been dead and buried for a year. Sincerely. No sarcasm intended.

IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.