Asher Guitars WD Music Products Amplified Parts Mod Kits DIY Nordstarnd Pickups Warmoth.com
Asher Guitars WD Music Products Amplified Parts Mod Kits DIY Nordstarnd Pickups Warmoth.com

Saw Buddy Guy last night.

Discussion in 'Music to Your Ears' started by BobbyZ, Jun 19, 2017.

1. BobbyZ

BobbyZ Doctor of Teleocity

Jan 12, 2011
    Snellman MN
    He was in Moorhead Minnesota, just across the Red River from Fargo ND so everyone just calls it Fargo because it sounds cooler.
    Anyway go see him if at all possible!

Oh yeah Jonny Lang opened for him, saw Jonny open for the Stones in Fargo 20 years ago, he's getting better.

TimothyC, black_doug, Jim W and 3 others like this.

2. Bellacaster

Bellacaster Tele-Holic

Sep 5, 2010
    Ypsilanti, MI
    Glad to hear he's still got it! One of the last greats from the 50s Chicago golden age of the blues.

viccortes285 likes this.

3. kelnet

kelnet Telefied Ad Free Member

Apr 17, 2008
    Port Moody, BC
    Did he go on and on about how he was doing stuff before Hendrix did it?

Johnson johnson likes this.

4. 8barlouie

8barlouie Friend of Leo's Silver Supporter

May 9, 2015
    Seekonk, MA
    I saw him three times. He's as entertaining as he is a great player. Fun for the whole family. Haven't heard any yammering about doing Hendrix before Hendrix did himself. He did give credit a couple of times to EC for revitalizing American blues and the starving American bluesmen who benefitted from his popularity. He also had a young man named Quinn Sullivan with him whom he discovered when he was just in grade school. He's an up and comer with a tremendous amount of potential.

RLee77 likes this.

5. dented

dented Poster Extraordinaire Platinum Supporter

Apr 17, 2006
    Back at the Beach
    Quinn Sullivan is already here. He has a new album out and they play him on the Sirius radio stations regularly. Mostly contrived and really rigid on the recordings.

I saw BG at the Coach House in SoCal. He was good but not having a great night for some reason. Still it was fun watching and listening to a legend.

6. Tom in Georgia

Tom in Georgia TDPRI Member

Jan 6, 2016
    Georgia
    Glad to hear that he still has his mojo working. My wife and I have tickets to see him later this summer in Atlanta.
    Tom

paratus likes this.

7. exactopposite

exactopposite Tele-Meister

Dec 31, 2010
    Philly
    I got to see him and BB King at the same show almost 20 years ago in Raleigh NC for free. I found the ticket in a parking lot. It was fantastic.

8. Crobbins

Crobbins Tele-Afflicted Ad Free Member

Jul 10, 2014
    Meiners Oaks CA.
    Right on. I saw him open for Jeff Beck last summer.

9. paratus

paratus Friend of Leo's Ad Free + Supporter

Dec 2, 2010
    Michigan
    Same here, on his 80th birthday. Still going strong, God bless him!

Crobbins likes this.

10. telleutelleme

telleutelleme Doctor of Teleocity Ad Free Member

Jan 15, 2010
    Houston
    Not sure his language is suitable for the whole family. He is a showman. He always has a good opening act like Lang or Cray.

Jim W, paratus and viccortes285 like this.

11. Jim W

Jim W Friend of Leo's

Mar 17, 2003
    Fargo/Moorhead great area; except the mosquitoes in the summer.

12. ebb soul

ebb soul Poster Extraordinaire

Jun 7, 2016
    Smyrna georgia
    He talks to much these days, and seldom plays a song thru fully. B.B. Got the same way is his latter years.
    He once gave one of the best shows I ever saw, some 10 yrs ago.

brookdalebill likes this.

13. Stubee

Stubee Poster Extraordinaire Silver Supporter

Jan 22, 2007
    Mid-Michigan
    I saw him years ago with BB and he put on a great show. Cool that he's still touring.

Does he still use an ~200 foot guitar cable so he can stroll way out into the audience while playing?

8barlouie likes this.

14. brookdalebill

brookdalebill Telefied Ad Free Member

Nov 15, 2009
    Austin, Tx
    I saw him once.
    Meh.
    Wish I felt differently.
    I heard good things about him, but I heard no good things from him.
    This was 20 years ago, at Antone's, on Guadalupe, in Austin.
    Sounded like he was trying WAY too hard.

15. brobar

brobar Tele-Meister

May 30, 2017
    Colorado
    Saw him with BB at Red Rocks a little over 7 years back. Awesome show. I liked his stories almost as much as his playing. That cat is funny!

16. 8barlouie

8barlouie Friend of Leo's Silver Supporter

May 9, 2015
    Seekonk, MA
    It's called old age. It'll catch up to us all eventually. With any luck that is. And we too, will do more talking and less playing. Ok that's depressing...

17. aerhed

aerhed Tele-Holic

Dec 24, 2016
    Boulder, WY
    I'm tired of these guys always "discovering" some kid and carting them around to show em off. When they gonna "discover" an old guy? Like me, dangit.

18. BobbyZ

BobbyZ Doctor of Teleocity

Jan 12, 2011
    Snellman MN
    He talked but I kind of liked it. Definitely uses the "F" word but that's getting to be so common now in the entertainment industry.
    No long cord he was wireless. Must be a good one cause it worked in the cheap seats. Yeah I was in the cheap seats.
    Band was great, sound was great just a lot of fun. Wished I would've seen him years ago.

Stubee likes this.

19. Bellacaster

Bellacaster Tele-Holic

Sep 5, 2010
    Ypsilanti, MI
    I've seen him twice, both were a little over 20 years ago. He was great both times. One show was at the State Theater in Kalamazoo, MI, which was good, then I saw him at a festival a few months later in my home town, Battle Creek, MI. The festival show sticks out in my mind more as it was on a tiny stage in a parking lot, which seemed unique to me at the time and he did blistering covers of Cream's Strange Brew and Hendrix's Voodoo Chile (Slight Return). He definitely spoke about Clapton singlehandedly popularizing the blues and how he was doing the wild thing before Hendrix. Man, he owned Voodoo Chile!

I'm sure a pro musician might have thought he was trying too hard, but to a 15 year-old kid in love with Clapton and Hendrix, it was mind blowing.

I don't remember his language being colorful at all. It's kind of a shame, but on the other hand, he doesn't need to pretend to be anyone he isn't anymore as his reputation is solidified and will have all the gigs he needs for the rest of his life. If I were up on a stage when I'm 80 +, I'm sure I'd be rambling about all sorts of things, using whatever language I wanted, ending songs abruptly.

20. Lacking Talent

Lacking Talent Tele-Meister

Oct 22, 2008
    Los Angeles, CA

IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.