Asher Guitars WD Music Products Amplified Parts Mod Kits DIY Nordstarnd Pickups Warmoth.com
Asher Guitars WD Music Products Amplified Parts Mod Kits DIY Nordstarnd Pickups Warmoth.com

Saul Goode SAF Series

Discussion in 'Tele Home Depot' started by mux164, Oct 17, 2016.

1. mux164

mux164 Tele-Meister

Jul 28, 2013
    australia
    After the success of my last maybe 5 builds I have decided to concentrate on one design

The design is familiar looking but hopefully different enough that I won't get in trouble. [​IMG]
    Similar to stratensteins but very unintentional, mine started out as wanting an Es 175 but not having the money to buy one, also it was a test to see if I could essentially make a semi acoustic without any electronics.

So today I didn't have to work so I made my first lot of templates up(not including neck pocket templates). So I traced the SAF1(the one that's pictured, I then free handed the border for the chambering. Cleaned it up with rasps and the drum sander, used a hole saw to dot the cutaway and waist areas. I used the masking tape and super glue trick to clamp another piece on then went at it on the band saw, disc sander and drum sanders to give me 2 templates exactly the same, the solid one will get a neck pocket cut in it to make it even easier[​IMG]

After the body templates I made 3 neck templates, found centre and drilled truss rod channels in all of them, cut the outlines, sanded them and all I need to do is finalise the headstock shape,there is a picture of the neck that is going on my tie dye paisley explorer
    [​IMG]

So the plan is to do another one with no electronics with photo transfers of my son on it, and another two (possibly with jarrah tops and pine backs)with maybe dual buckers or a single p90 maybe mini buckers

And lastly I found a massive pallet at the local hardware I'm pretty sure it's all Douglas fir so I got all the long boards squared up and I have enough for 3 SAF shape bodies and some left over
    [​IMG][​IMG][​IMG][​IMG]

Last edited: Oct 17, 2016
    Freekmagnet, GearHund and ftbtx like this.

2. Davecam48

Davecam48 Friend of Leo's Gold Supporter

Dec 31, 2009
    Queensland Australia
    Not sure about the Douglas Fir if its what is in the photos. It looks awfully like regular knotty old plantation pine just like you get in the non-structural stud racks at hardware shops. If it is, be careful as that pine is usually not dried at all and warps like hell.

mux164 likes this.

3. mux164

mux164 Tele-Meister

Jul 28, 2013
    australia
    I only went with what was stamped on it. Plenty dry though. I'll probably use some meranti for the neck and some jarrah for the headstock veneer.

Thanks for checking in

4. RogerC

RogerC Poster Extraordinaire Vendor Member

Mar 30, 2011
    Oklamerica
    You'll want to edit that part out of your post. Unless you're a commercial member, you can't discuss any business ventures.

Last edited: Oct 17, 2016
    mux164 likes this.

5. mux164

mux164 Tele-Meister

Jul 28, 2013
    australia
    Notes taken thanks Roger

RogerC likes this.

6. mux164

mux164 Tele-Meister

Jul 28, 2013
    australia
    Got the 3rd blank in the clamps now. Will take all of them to mens shed tomorrow and thickness them.

The thicknesser at the mens shed can only do 14 inches wide so i only glued up 5 planks then 2 together. The pieces are different widths so after planing them level i will biscuit the remaining two to the other 5.

Sounds confusing but the bodies are 7 planks wide(16inches(40cms).

After thats done i will more than likely cut the perimeter and chamber the bodies all the way through.

Now i have to line up neck wood and top/back wood.

7. mux164

mux164 Tele-Meister

Jul 28, 2013
    australia
    Got a bit done recently, got the middle part of the bodies cut and shaped. They will most likely be chambered on the weekend.

I'm using jarrah for the tops, they are thicknessed to about 8mm and are 3 pieces to keep the costs down. I have one I'm the clamps and will pick another 3 pieces for the 2nd top, I may have to put them through the thickness sander if they aren't level. The tops should be a nice contrast to the rest of the body.

Still not sure what to use for necks and fingerboards [​IMG][​IMG]

I'm also making a few ukuleles in the same vein, these will xmas presents [​IMG]

8. oldrebel

oldrebel Friend of Leo's Gold Supporter

Oct 23, 2011
    Lynchburg Tennessee

9. mux164

mux164 Tele-Meister

Jul 28, 2013
    australia
    [​IMG][​IMG][​IMG][​IMG][​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG][​IMG]
    Thought I'd start with the ukes, so far I have 3 bodies and a neck , 2 are chambered and the one with the jarrah to is solid. If I put electronics in them I will make a cavity in the back.

Now to the main event, it's been pretty hot lately and I have been working back a bit, that rules out popping over to the men's shed after work. so for the past couple of weeks I have had about 45 mins of lunch times to do some work at the men's shed

Luckily today was the butchers picnic so it's a public holiday for meat workers, that meant I had a free day to work on these guitars and ukes.

I realised that when I made my templates I only cut and sanded to the sharpie line, then transferring that to my blanks I went to the sharpie line again. Making my bodies about 5mm bigger than the original.

After correcting 3 bodies and two templates I started chambering the other 2 bodies, I'll be putting supports in the two that will have pine backs. One of those two will have a pine top and the other with Australian oak that I picked up at masters.

So the other part of the day was cutting tops and backs for the guitars. Then sanding everything but I am happy with what I got done today.

And since today is the last full day I will get at the shed i made use of it. Nowa it's some lunch times and Sundays.

Hoping to get the ukes done for Christmas and hopefully one guitar, and start on a chambered bass[​IMG][​IMG]

Last edited: Nov 7, 2016
    Freekmagnet and Barncaster like this.

10. mux164

mux164 Tele-Meister

Jul 28, 2013
    australia
    [​IMG][​IMG][​IMG][​IMG][​IMG]

Been doing a fair bit on some ukes lately, first picture is a neck blank for a uke, got 3 more to do, second picture is a fb for my explorer build that I have been neglecting. And some more uke stuff.

Neck got glued in tonight just need to do more sanding

11. mux164

mux164 Tele-Meister

Jul 28, 2013
    australia
    Had a good day today, finished the SAF prototype uke, got my tie dye paisley glued on the explorer and I also chambered the other two guitars[​IMG][​IMG]

12. mux164

mux164 Tele-Meister

Jul 28, 2013
    australia
    Another SAF uke, this one is an Australian red cedar top and pine back, Australian oak and jarrah neck, I chambered most of the pine out except around the neck pocket(which I could have the neck is only about 8mm deep in there and the top is 18mm thick. And I left a decent chunk for the bridge.

The dreaded crooked drilling for the ferrules happened again, next one I'm just going to drill though the back of the bridge for a top loader.

Just needs a decent sand, the neck glued in then I can clear coat it and put the hardware on

I'm loving making these lil things[​IMG] [​IMG][​IMG]

13. mux164

mux164 Tele-Meister

Jul 28, 2013
    australia
    Got everything sanded on the cedar uke. Dry fitted the neck and gave it all a sealer coat of satin clear coat, need to paint the white stripe in the body black and the headstock as well[​IMG][​IMG][​IMG]

14. oldrebel

oldrebel Friend of Leo's Gold Supporter

Oct 23, 2011
    Lynchburg Tennessee

15. mux164

mux164 Tele-Meister

Jul 28, 2013
    australia
    Haven't done much but today i radius'd a neck and glued in a contrast piece for the scarf. And a picture of an upcoming neck thru 7 string 1490421664073.jpg 1490421689649.jpg

Barncaster likes this.

16. mux164

mux164 Tele-Meister

Jul 28, 2013
    australia
    Jeez been ages since I updated this thread, I'll just do pictures. Finished a second one, and just about finished a third IMG_7402.JPG IMG_0985.JPG IMG_0987.JPG IMG_7582.JPG

GearHund and Barncaster like this.

17. Robert.II

Robert.II Tele-Meister

Feb 25, 2013
    Victoria, BC
    I'm diggin' the headstock design on the last couple. Nice job so far!

mux164 likes this.

18. mux164

mux164 Tele-Meister

Jul 28, 2013
    australia

19. mux164

mux164 Tele-Meister

Jul 28, 2013
    australia
    Thanks sorry I only just seen this comment. It's hard to find som thing that doesn't look like a rip off and something that compliments the body, just lucked out I guess

20. Macrogats

Macrogats Tele-Holic

May 15, 2017
    Auckland, New Zealand
    Cool guitars man. Is the first one a full hollow body? Or has it got a bridge block in it? I see no electronics, so I guess it's just for noodling on the couch.

IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.