Asher Guitars WD Music Products Amplified Parts Mod Kits DIY Nordstarnd Pickups Warmoth.com
Asher Guitars WD Music Products Amplified Parts Mod Kits DIY Nordstarnd Pickups Warmoth.com

sapele partscaster

Discussion in 'Other T-Types and Partscasters' started by the-woey-man, Aug 5, 2017.

1. the-woey-man

the-woey-man TDPRI Member

Apr 25, 2017
    cardiff
    hi. Here's a guitar to look at with a cup of tea. I put this together a year ago and don't play my other guitars anymore. The body is a pretty heavy sapele 2 piece I finished with tru oil. The neck is a cheap 1 piece Canadian maple from eBay. I did quite a bit of work rounding the fret ends etc and its now a lovely neck to play. I took some gloss off the back to reduce stickiness of course. The tunes were cheap off eBay sold under the brand vanson. They are flawless I highly recommend. I originally had kent Armstrong pickups in it but they were bland so put some second hand seymour Duncan's in and now it sounds right. It's got a 0.1 uf dime cap in so can do the gatton organ style thing etc. All in all it kills my jap fender strat dead. Oh, it does weigh ten and a half pounds but I like a heavy guitar. WP_20170329_14_45_41_Pro.jpg WP_20170713_16_52_10_Pro.jpg WP_20170713_16_53_10_Pro.jpg WP_20170713_16_52_53_Pro.jpg WP_20170713_16_52_33_Pro.jpg

Attached Files:

2. waltschwarzkopf

waltschwarzkopf TDPRI Member

May 17, 2017
    Zürich
    Very nice! Could you share some sound samples?

the-woey-man likes this.

3. ukepicker

ukepicker Tele-Holic

Oct 15, 2013
    East Texas
    Very nice! Interesting string tree placement. That wood is beautiful - i'd love to have a tele like that!

the-woey-man likes this.

4. the-woey-man

Apr 25, 2017
    cardiff
    thank you. Yes I will upload some when I record some which will happen when I become less lazy

5. the-woey-man

Apr 25, 2017
    cardiff
    yeah it is a strange place for the string trees I agree but they do their job. I had to file the bottoms of them. I was planning an elaborate logo but simply couldn't be bothered in the end

6. brookdalebill

brookdalebill Telefied Ad Free Member

Nov 15, 2009
    Austin, Tx

7. Ira7

Ira7 Poster Extraordinaire

Jan 8, 2008
    Coral Springs, FL
    No offense, but that string tree placement doesn't make any sense.

Granted, trees aren't even necessary at all based on some people's playing style, but based on that placement, why?

the-woey-man likes this.

8. the-woey-man

Apr 25, 2017
    cardiff
    you are right they prob don't need to be there really but they are now. They pull the strings down just a bit

9. Strange Ol' Man

Strange Ol' Man Tele-Holic

Nov 29, 2012
    United States
    Its a lovely piece man .

the-woey-man likes this.

10. AlabamaOutlaw

AlabamaOutlaw Tele-Meister

Feb 20, 2011
    Alabama
    I feel like im inlove with another mans wife!

11. the-woey-man

Apr 25, 2017
    cardiff
    you can have a go if I can watch

puddin, P Thought, Felino and 3 others like this.

12. Asmith

Asmith Friend of Leo's Ad Free Member

Nov 27, 2014
    Morley, England
    he should bring along his along and you can both take turns with each others

the-woey-man likes this.

13. hemingway

hemingway Friend of Leo's

Mar 14, 2012
    London, UK
    it's beautiful - I did a zebrano strat about 5 years ago and I didn't fill the grain/pores either. Much more natural.

the-woey-man likes this.

14. puddin

puddin Tele-Meister

Apr 14, 2010
    Punta Gorda, florida
    That's a sweet looking guitar. I just love ribbon mahogany. I think these would go well together.

Attached Files:

the-woey-man likes this.

15. teletimetx

teletimetx Poster Extraordinaire

Jul 25, 2011
    Houston, TX
    That's a fine guitar. Happy playing!

Not that I speak from experience, but the general consensus is that swapping the mistresses is considerably riskier than swapping a pickup.

the-woey-man likes this.

16. William SantAna

William SantAna TDPRI Member

Aug 22, 2017
    Brazil

17. ramonet

ramonet TDPRI Member

Jan 18, 2013
    Barcelona - Spain
    Nice guitar indeed. The only problem with sapele is the weight. A few years ago I've made an LP... Sounds great, plays great but weights a ton. Last year the customer came home for weight relief. At the end I sawed the back for 10mm, hollowed and put another 7mm sapele cap. It turns the guitar lighter and keeps the good sound (a little more "full" and "airy")

the-woey-man and puddin like this.

18. P Thought

P Thought Poster Extraordinaire Ad Free + Supporter

IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.