Asher Guitars WD Music Products Amplified Parts Mod Kits DIY Nordstarnd Pickups darrenriley.com
Asher Guitars WD Music Products Amplified Parts Mod Kits DIY Nordstarnd Pickups Warmoth.com
Asher Guitars WD Music Products Amplified Parts Mod Kits DIY Nordstarnd Pickups Warmoth.com

Sanity check on action height (fretting out)

Discussion in 'Tele-Technical' started by beninma, Dec 7, 2018.

1. beninma

beninma Tele-Afflicted Silver Supporter

Mar 17, 2017
    Massachusetts
    Looking for a sanity check here..

Relief is probably between 0.005-0.010".
    Action at the 12th fret (no capo) is around 4/64 across all the strings.
    9.5" neck radius

Just started playing a song that requires a full step bend at the 10th fret on the B string... very hard on my Telecaster to get the bend to work. I had been playing this on my Taylor acoustic and the bend was extremely easy... (15" radius, similar action height)

I raised the B and high E strings ever so slightly (to small of a change to measure accurately IMO) on my Telecaster and it seems to have helped a lot.. with a 9.5" radius should I be able to keep my B/High E strings lower than this?

2. charlie chitlin

charlie chitlin Doctor of Teleocity Silver Supporter

Mar 17, 2003
    Spring City, Pa
    What does it mean the bend didn't work?
    That part of the neck is where you could easily get some fretting out if you have too much relief.
    Are you fretting the 1st and last frets to check relief?

3. Ricky D.

Ricky D. Poster Extraordinaire

Oct 22, 2006
    Raleigh, North Carolina
    Use a fret rocker to check for a high or low fret. You may need perfection or close to it with action that low.

jimilee and vgallagher like this.
  4. Bartholomew3

Bartholomew3 Friend of Leo's

Dec 8, 2010
    Montreal
    Get a pro to set it up, may need to shim the neck.

5. beninma

Mar 17, 2017
    Massachusetts
    Yah I meant it frets out pretty much.

New experience for me so I wasn't familiar with the term. Basically really hard to make the bend and release back to the original note without the note dying out dramatically.

Is 4/64" @ the 12th fret for the treble strings really low? This is higher than the Fender Spec, the Fender Spec is 4/64th @ the 17th fret.

I'll check the relief too. We are certainly in the crazy weather part of the year.

6. Chunkocaster

Chunkocaster Tele-Afflicted

Aug 10, 2018
    In space with Ziggy
    Just keep messing with it, Dump the strings real low and raise until the fretting out stops providing you have enough relief in the neck. If you want it lower than where you end up you will probably have to do a fret level.
    I don't know about the measurements, I go by sight and feel but can get the strings slightly buzzing acoustically before I fret out on a 9.5 neck. Fretting out usually happens up around the 12th to 14th fret on my 7.25 radius neck with low action.

Last edited: Dec 7, 2018
  7. beninma

Mar 17, 2017
    Massachusetts
    I raised it a tiny tiny amount, like I said too small to measure with my action height gauge.

It doesn't make a discernible effect on effort, but I'll check to relief just to make sure I didn't make a saddle adjustment when I should have made a relief adjustment.

8. dkmw

dkmw Friend of Leo's Silver Supporter

Mar 30, 2016
    Florida USA
    I started to fret out on a 9.5 up around fret 14-15. It was just because I'd worn down the frets up to that point, and barely scratched from 17-21.

A shim is buying me some time until I get around to grinding some fallaway in those upper frets.

9. charlie chitlin

Mar 17, 2003
    Spring City, Pa
    If you're fretting out on the 10th fret, check the 11th with a straightedge that touches only the 10th, 11th and 12th frets.
    If the middle fret is high, the straightedge will rock.
    Any discernible rock is too much.
    On those frets, you may be able to use the shorter edge of a credit card.
    I have a steel ruler that I cut up in 3 pieces of varying lengths so I can cover 3 frets anywhere on the neck.

fenderchamp likes this.
  10. charlie chitlin

Mar 17, 2003
    Spring City, Pa
    I've still never used "fallaway".
    IMO, it's insurance against a problem that has not yet happened.
    If it happens, I deal with it then.

11. Uncle Daddy

Uncle Daddy Tele-Holic

Sep 26, 2015
    Maldon, England
    I dress my own frets, and take the last few down a fraction lower than the rest. Tim Lurch mod.

fenderchamp likes this.
  12. D_W_PGH

D_W_PGH Tele-Afflicted

Aug 28, 2018
    Pittsburgh
    I didn't know that was a mod, but I do the same thing. When you're a maker or a tech, I'd refer to that as biasing things in your favor. The more hand made a guitar is, the more important the biases.

13. Uncle Daddy

Uncle Daddy Tele-Holic

Sep 26, 2015
    Maldon, England
    It's not really a mod, just something he once recommended. I've tried it on a couple of teles, and a couple of Gretsch 6120s which can be prone to 14th fret hump where the neck meets the body.

fenderchamp likes this.
  14. fenderchamp

fenderchamp Tele-Holic

Jun 17, 2008
    omaha
    i just got a nice avri strat with the 7.25 radius and some fret out on the high E. ..the guitar is so pretty...

great thread!!

15. jimilee

jimilee Tele-Holic Silver Supporter

Dec 19, 2017
    Chattanooga
    Don’t get caught up in the numbers, go by feel.

16. Ira7

Ira7 Poster Extraordinaire

Jan 8, 2008
    Coral Springs, FL
    I really need a guy who knows what he's doing to take a look at my Thinline (12").

I'd like to get it lower, but I DON'T really know what I'm doing when it comes to the interaction of everything. (Frets, saddle height, neck angle, etc.)

And the guitar is like brand-new.

IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.