Asher Guitars WD Music Products Amplified Parts Mod Kits DIY Nordstarnd Pickups Warmoth.com
Asher Guitars WD Music Products Amplified Parts Mod Kits DIY Nordstarnd Pickups Warmoth.com

Sanding Sealer- when is it sanded flat and not through

Discussion in 'Finely Finished' started by Jazzybb17, Jul 15, 2017.

1. Jazzybb17

Jazzybb17 TDPRI Member

Jul 11, 2017
    Essex
    Hello,

I'm painting my first alder unfinished strat body. So far I've sprayed two coats of sanding sealer and sanded it back.

This is where I'm stuck. I'm told that the body is flat when I have removed all shiny spots but to be careful not to sand through the sealer. I've removed the shiny spots and as I'm sanding it the body goes like a dusty white colour. When I dust it especially the edges some bits look like the original wood, does this mean I've sanded through?

After sanding it back I've since sprayed one more coat and have yet to sand it.

I've read that you can do an index coat using a very thin coat of white primer and sanding that back until all of the primer is removed, this sounds like a more foolproof method as I can see easier the colour.

Any help and advice would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks for taking the time to read this and the help.

Jon

2. sfcmark

sfcmark Tele-Meister

Apr 17, 2011
    Augusta, GA
    If you get a sand-through, as opposed to sanding all of the sealer off, it's pretty easy to spot. This is what it looked like when I sanded through on my first attempt:

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

3. Jazzybb17

Jazzybb17 TDPRI Member

Jul 11, 2017
    Essex
    Ah I see thanks for those pics. Would the sand and sealer fill little holes that's in the pic below or would I need to fill them with filler? Also would small knots need knotting solution or will the sand and sealer do. Sorry for all these questions and thank you for the help

Attached Files:

4. sfcmark

sfcmark Tele-Meister

Apr 17, 2011
    Augusta, GA
    If that's what it looks like, I'd definitely use some kind of filler, CA, or epoxy to close that up before final sealing. I don't think you'll get enough build from just sand and sealer.

The only one of the above I've personally used is oil-based grain filler from Reranch. But I was just pore filling on swamp ash. I'm sure there are plenty of experienced builders who will chime in with their recommendations.

5. Jazzybb17

Jazzybb17 TDPRI Member

Jul 11, 2017
    Essex
    Ok thanks Mark, I've just sanded the sealer, I'm still confused is this what it's supposed to look lke?

Thanks again,

Jon

Attached Files:

6. The Ballzz

The Ballzz Tele-Holic

Apr 11, 2016
    Las Vegas, NV
    Just curious, are you planning on doing a transparent/translucent finish or solid color?
    Just Askin'
    Gene

7. Jazzybb17

Jazzybb17 TDPRI Member

Jul 11, 2017
    Essex
    Hi Gene,

I was looking to finish it in solid Sonic Blue with gloss clear coat. I've got a white primer to go on as well. Since that last picture I've sanded the front some more and it all looks flat and chalky now so I guess that's good. Im struggling to get the sides the same as the front. Going to fill them small holes and then spray another sand and sealer coat. Any advice would be much appreciated.

Thanks Jon

8. Jazzybb17

Jazzybb17 TDPRI Member

Jul 11, 2017
    Essex
    Hi Gene,

I was looking to finish it in solid Sonic Blue with gloss clear coat. I've got a white primer to go on as well. Since that last picture I've sanded the front some more and it all looks flat and chalky now so I guess that's good. Im struggling to get the sides the same as the front. Going to fill them small holes and then spray another sand and sealer coat. Any advice would be much appreciated.

Thanks Jon

IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.