Asher Guitars WD Music Products Amplified Parts Mod Kits DIY Nordstarnd Pickups Warmoth.com
Asher Guitars WD Music Products Amplified Parts Mod Kits DIY Nordstarnd Pickups Warmoth.com

SAnding paint off with sand paper?

Discussion in 'Finely Finished' started by The Teleist, Jan 5, 2010.

1. The Teleist

The Teleist Tele-Meister

Sep 9, 2009
    England
    Ok, my little Chinooks, I give in. You win. I won't sandpaper it. Or heat- gun-blow-dry- butane-gas-with-a-match it. Well, not yet anyway...;)

Perhaps i'll just try a little bit of sanding somewhere even I wont notice. Like under the scratchplate or on the underside, and report back. But getting sandpaper in the snow is gonna be difficult at the mo.

2. flyingbanana

flyingbanana Poster Extraordinaire

I read somewhere where a guy had used dry ice to blast the finish off his guitar. He said it didn't leave marks in the body...but totally removed all the paint and the plastic wood sealer Fender uses.

3. originalmatthew

originalmatthew Tele-Holic

May 12, 2009
    Riverside, California
    All the above advice is good unless you hit that Fullerplast. (thats the indestructible plastic stuff under the paint that Fender uses for a sealer) So far I haven't found anything that would touch it except hours of tedious sanding with a block on the flats and hand sanding on the rounds. It's the kind of stuff someone should un-invent. Seen it taken off with heat guns and torches, but scorched wood on a guitar body makes me cringe like opening the door to meet a blind date and finding your grandma standing there.

4. 61fury

61fury Tele-Afflicted

Aug 28, 2009
    knoxville, TN
    special needs sander

Here's 220 hand sanding:

[​IMG]

Here's why:
    [​IMG]

Original painted over form :
    [​IMG]

I bought this guitar that was painted over. I've thought about strippers, but want to preserve the gold sparkletop and binding. Strippers make me nervous for the binding and the poly (even though most people swear that this industrial poly is immune to stripper). Sanding is problematic but a heat gun would be scorched earth.
    I need to post on this, it must happen fairly often, how to remove a non original finish that is over a finish you want to keep. In this case keep the sparkletop. I will have to refinish the back. Jack

5. 61fury

61fury Tele-Afflicted

Aug 28, 2009
    knoxville, TN
    The back probably took 3 days, about 3 hours per day. I've just discovered wet-dry, which can be rinsed out, made killer progress tonight.
    Watch tv, cruise the internet etc while you sand, I know I'm not in any hurry.

6. 61fury

61fury Tele-Afflicted

Aug 28, 2009
    knoxville, TN
    I need to mention I'm a total noob and I don't know what I'm doing. I don't know if any of you have ever done this, you find a new thing to do, then spend months mining the internet for every scrap of info you can find. Then you are left with a huge pile of information and misinformation.
    I've ruined the sparkletop ( the poly is not as thick as I was led to believe). Not down though, there is another finish I want to try anyway. The guitar is cheap , I can at least learn from this. I'm still sanding it though, it gives me time before I have to worry about the next step.

7. Ringo

Ringo Poster Extraordinaire

Mar 16, 2003
    Memphis TN
    re paint stripper

I've used Formby's Furniture refinish to strip several guitars, it was fairly fast and much easier than sanding IMO. With sanding, it's VERY easy to get gouges, round off square edges etc..
    Even with stripper you still have to sand some before refinishing, but it's MUCH easier to sand wood than paint!

8. 61fury

61fury Tele-Afflicted

Aug 28, 2009
    knoxville, TN
    Ringo, do you think the Formby's could strip the paint and not harm the binding or the sparkle finish?

9. jefrs

jefrs Doctor of Teleocity

Nov 20, 2007
    Newbury, England
    Teleist, Have you tried Nitromors Varnish and Paint Stripper, it seems to be much stronger than what they can get left pond, it eats paint, varnish and plastic, and eventually eats through its own steel can. Tip, the surface needs to be abraded to key in the stripper, and the goo has to be scraped, it's an outdoor job.

10. jc93230

jc93230 Tele-Holic

Feb 4, 2008
    California
    NEED an after pic!!!!!!

11. Ringo

Ringo Poster Extraordinaire

Mar 16, 2003
    Memphis TN
    re; do you think the Formby's could strip the paint...

I don't know if it is possible to strip the paint w/o damaging the underlying finish / binding.
    But Formbys is not like your typical paint stripper where you apply it and then wait for the old finish to bubble up and then scrape it off.
    With Formbys you use a scotch pad or steel wool, dip it in the Formbys and wipe around on whatever you're stripping.
    You could try it on the back and see what happens, it doesn't seem to be a real hot solvent. If the black paint is laquer and the sparkle is poly, then it might work pretty well.

12. 61fury

61fury Tele-Afflicted

Aug 28, 2009
    knoxville, TN
    Thanks, Ringo, I believe the paint is laquer and the sparkle poly.
    Telemeister , the after pic won't be pretty. I've rubbed through the gold in many places, in night time light it's hard to see. It sands through to a silver base. In daylight it's pretty painful. Worse come to worse I 've thought of having a mottled silver /gold sparkle finish.

The damage so far [​IMG][/IMG]
    This is the harsh daylight.

And I know this is an Epiphone, I'm on here because I have a bsb Squier tele Affinity.

13. 61fury

61fury Tele-Afflicted

Aug 28, 2009
    knoxville, TN
    [​IMG]
    10 minutes with Goof Off and I stripped the paint and primer off without harming the industrial mahogany finish (poly?) I just made a whole lot of work for myself. I guess I'm learning is the best I can get out of this. I'm attacking the top next.
    My situation is different than most, though, I'm just trying to remove ordinary paint to get at the finish underneath, not trying to strip a factory poly finish. Jack

14. BarnesTO

BarnesTO Tele-Afflicted

May 28, 2006
    Yuma, AZ
    I recently sanded off my home finished (Reranch) Tele body with sandpaper because I wan't happy with it. I figure it took me two hours, but that was thin lacquer. Not sure about anything thicker.

I have a '65 Mustang that was finished with hot pink automotive paint that I am thinking of stripping and refinishing with Reranch Burgundy Mist, if I can successfully strip it....

15. Dan German

Dan German Poster Extraordinaire

When I need to strip finishes, I usually use the 3M gel stripper in the low odour form. Slower, but less nasty to the lungs and hands (yeah, I use gloves, but I always get a little on me). I stripped a bound tele, and it didn't hurt the binding at all. YMMV.

16. 61fury

61fury Tele-Afflicted

Aug 28, 2009
    knoxville, TN
    top stripped

[​IMG]

My after shot with Goof Off. It was still work but it looks great in dim light. This is at night on the front porch.It's really more of a pale, brassy gold than the camera would have you believe. Maybe a pin up girl decal to hide the damage.
    Now to keep it simple, stain and wipe on poly for the back. Then the adventure in electronics! Jack

17. otaypanky

otaypanky Tele-Holic

Nov 20, 2008
    Mechanicsburg, Pa.
    I used a heat gun, worked well. Sanding will certainly be needed. Don't be afraid of trying it, you can have some fun. The Reranch website has a very informative section on refinishing tips and some great products. I did this on a long weekend.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.