Asher Guitars WD Music Products Amplified Parts Mod Kits DIY Nordstarnd Pickups darrenriley.com
Asher Guitars WD Music Products Amplified Parts Mod Kits DIY Nordstarnd Pickups Warmoth.com
Asher Guitars WD Music Products Amplified Parts Mod Kits DIY Nordstarnd Pickups Warmoth.com

Samick Club

Discussion in 'Guitar Owners Clubs' started by Tele-Champ, Sep 6, 2010.

1. ebswift

ebswift TDPRI Member

Oct 11, 2018
    QLD Australia
    I just picked up a Samick for my son so I can see if he'll get interested in learning to play. I do like the feel of this guitar a lot, though I'm only in an early stage of learning. This unit is supposed to have had a fender pickups upgrade too. Does anyone know what model this is, I can't seem to find a definitive match, if I'm decoding the serial right it's 1991:

IMG_20181012_144851.jpg
    IMG_20181012_144831.jpg
    IMG_20181012_135055.jpg

IMG_20181012_135118.jpg

Edit: maybe an SV-430?
    http://samick.wikia.com/wiki/S

Last edited: Oct 12, 2018
  2. jtees4

jtees4 Tele-Afflicted

Jun 13, 2010
    selden, ny
    I think you may be right about the model number. The year probably has nothing to do with the serial number, so that i wouldn't be sure of. I guess knowing if it is a plywood or solid body would tell the tale of the year, since 94 on was solid wood. Good luck, I'm sure it's a decent guitar...I have a couple of older Samicks and they are solid.
    This may help with the year:
    http://samick.wikia.com/wiki/Logo_Styles

ebswift likes this.
  3. ebswift

ebswift TDPRI Member

Oct 11, 2018
    QLD Australia
  4. jtees4

jtees4 Tele-Afflicted

Jun 13, 2010
    selden, ny
    Cool....nice guitar. This is my Samick, I picked it up about 5 years ago for $40. It was a bit beat up, I did put a new three way switch and bridge saddles, and locking tuners....but the thing plays great. It took me years to figure out exactly what it was, in fact I got the info in this thread I believe from SamickDude. He hit the nail on the head!
    [​IMG]

5. ebswift

ebswift TDPRI Member

Oct 11, 2018
    QLD Australia
    Nice work it's a beauty, what locking tuners did you use, and did the hole sizes match?

6. jtees4

jtees4 Tele-Afflicted

Jun 13, 2010
    selden, ny
    I think I had them leftover from another guitar. They were cheap imported locking tuners, probably from guitarfetish. They really are not bad at all. I'm pretty sure the holes fit, although on other guitars I just use a cheap hand reamer and it enlarges the holes very easily. I just did that on a Mex Tele that had vintage tuners, I put modern gotoh locking tuners on....but easily widened the holes and all went well.

ebswift likes this.
  7. ebswift

ebswift TDPRI Member

Oct 11, 2018
    QLD Australia
    I worked out how to get the gumtree one picked up for me now, the seller is nice and helpful, so that Samick is coming my way and 52.5mm spacing bridge pieces are in the mail :D. That's around $US140 conversion for the SV-430 plus basic practise amp, so generally market priced I think.

jtees4 likes this.
  8. ebswift

ebswift TDPRI Member

Oct 11, 2018
    QLD Australia
    Here's the marbled guitar cleaned up and fixed up a bit from the gumtree ad I posted above:

IMG_20181105_073555.jpg

I ended up getting Jin Ho Locking tuners and Gotoh saddles for both guitars. The plastic washers on the tuners on the marbled design guitar fell apart so it was a good excuse for upgrading. The dark red one also got a Tusq nut fitted, I'd love to learn to do those but can't get my head around the cost of a decent set of files. Today I started adjusting the bridge according to the Fender setup document but things started going south when the whammy bar suddenly loosened up. I quickly worked out why (relic much?):

IMG_20181124_172913.jpg

So, a Guitar Fetish 'shorty' solid steel tremolo block on the way to replace the broken one, along with the matching 10/32 whammy bar (also ordered the extra set for the dark red guitar, I haven't checked that one yet but anticipating the same issue). Check your Samick tremolo blocks ;).

Last edited: Nov 24, 2018
  9. jtees4

jtees4 Tele-Afflicted

Jun 13, 2010
    selden, ny
    Lookin' good! My Samick is my go to whammy guitar for recording (when I need a whammy bar). It's solid and sounds great!

IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.