Asher Guitars WD Music Products Amplified Parts Mod Kits DIY Nordstarnd Pickups darrenriley.com
Asher Guitars WD Music Products Amplified Parts Mod Kits DIY Nordstarnd Pickups Warmoth.com
Asher Guitars WD Music Products Amplified Parts Mod Kits DIY Nordstarnd Pickups Warmoth.com

Samick Club

Discussion in 'Guitar Owners Clubs' started by Tele-Champ, Sep 6, 2010.

1. GuildX700

GuildX700 Tele-Holic

Apr 28, 2016
    USA
    My Torino TR3 SG style guitar 2001:
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

The Torino chilling with my Gibson SG:
    [​IMG]

Here's a lovely Torino, not mine, I wish it was!

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Here's an unusual variant, only 2 controls and sparkle top:

[​IMG]

Torino sales catalog page:
    [​IMG]

2. GuildX700

GuildX700 Tele-Holic

Apr 28, 2016
    USA
    Samick Greg Bennett AV7 Avion "LP Custom".
    A 2003 model in pearlescent metallic white .

I let it sit out of it's case for the last 13 years hoping it would age more to a creame, but poly does not age much. It has however mellowed down a bit from its original bright white.

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

The pearlescent metallic in the paint looks great up close if you get the right angle:
    [​IMG]

My 2002 Greg Bennett Avion AV4 in wine red. This is my favorite of all my Samicks and it was the cheapest! I got it brand new in 2003 for $185.
    It's a flattop P-90 loaded LP style. This is such a lovely, great guitar, and the P90's in it just sing, when both are selected it has lovely quack just like a strat can get.

I can't seem to get a pic to do the top justice:

[​IMG]

[​IMG]
    abalone marker dots:
    [​IMG]

One of my more accurate shots of the true color of the top, it still looks vastly better in person:

[​IMG]

You rarely see this Bennett flattop LP style model, usually just the regular carved top LP style ones. They did not make them for very long. It was also available in natural, sparkle top and black (not mine).

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

And here's one I have yet to find and buy, an offset LP style called the Fastback:
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

More to come at a later date.

Last edited: Aug 1, 2016
    SamickDude likes this.

3. SamickDude

SamickDude TDPRI Member

Mar 20, 2016
    USA
    Wow man, that it gorgeous, and what a rare find! Is there any serial number on it? I'd be very curious to know when it was made.

I've focused mostly on parsing out Samick's earlier history, so I haven't spent much time on Greg Bennets, but I do know they were MIK until 2006 at the latest. How do you feel the Indonesian models compare?

Believe it or not, Poly will age, it just takes time. You can see it on my 1993 SVE-130:

pics 081.JPG

That's 23 years old now, and it's not noticeably yellowed with the pickguard back on.

That Avion with P90s is gorgeous! I love P90s on anything. I may have to keep an eye out for one of those now...

Last edited: Aug 7, 2016
    GuildX700 likes this.

4. GuildX700

GuildX700 Tele-Holic

Apr 28, 2016
    USA
    The prototype Bennett Avion LP does have a serial number, I'll have to dig it out to get it.

The MIK are much better from what I've seen.

SamickDude likes this.

5. Sleazy_d

Sleazy_d NEW MEMBER!

May 18, 2016
    Canada
    I bought this Samick for $70 last night, I can't find another one like it anywhere online. There's a sticker on the back that's partially ripped but I'm pretty sure it says kr450 GBLS, could the gbls be the color? green/black L S (not sure what the L S could be). From what I read the plate on the back is from the early 90's, does anyone have any info on this guitar? DSC_1725.JPG DSC_1726.JPG DSC_1727.JPG DSC_1728.JPG DSC_1729.JPG

6. SamickDude

SamickDude TDPRI Member

Mar 20, 2016
    USA
    Did you get a chance to look at it?

That's a 1994 KR-450 and GBLS stands for "Granite Blue Sunburst", one of the specialty finish options offered. It's a K body and the "R" designates the Licensed Floyd Rose tremolo:

http://samick.wikia.com/wiki/K#KR-450

$70 is an excellent deal, congratulations! I dig the parallelogram inlays.

7. Believer7713

Believer7713 TDPRI Member

Mar 21, 2016
    Kansas City Mo.
    This one's my Samick SPG-650 Vine of life in transparent black with a flamed maple top and mahogany body. I changed the tuners out with locking tuners and the p'ups are Entwistle HV58ZB both coil split with push pull pots. It also has a solid brass locking TOM bridge and stop tail from guitar fetish.
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

SamickDude, richey88 and GuildX700 like this.

8. JukeJointJunkie

JukeJointJunkie Tele-Meister

Feb 13, 2016
    West Texas
    I am intrigued by the Greg Bennett Royale series. It appears to me they are somewhere between a Les Paul and a 335 in size. Is this correct? And did they ever make any with P90s in them?

9. jtees4

jtees4 Tele-Afflicted

Jun 13, 2010
    selden, ny
    jtees4 said:
    A couple of years ago, I picked up a beat up Samick for $40 that I believe was from the 80's due to the headstock. I was looking for a cheap guitar that i could install my Roland GK pickup on with screws and not worry about it....which I did. I fixed a few minor issues, like input jack and ended up putting in a new three way. The guitar plays GREAT. Unbelievable how good it is. I've also come to realize that this guitar might possible be a one off. I have been unable to find another one with only two pickups HS like this one. I have asked around, searched the net...and even searched the old catelogs. Maybe some of you might be able to find one or know something about it. It's not a big deal....just thought it was kind of cool that I owned a guitar that I could find nothing about in the internet age.
    I don't have your guitar in my catalogs either. But they often produced batches of unique models that were not included in their catalogs. Luckily, I came across one with the model sticker still intact, and it's a YV-441.

SamickDude said:
    I don't have your guitar in my catalogs either. But they often produced batches of unique models that were not included in their catalogs. Luckily, I came across one with the model sticker still intact, and it's a YV-441.

http://samick.wikia.com/wiki/Y#YV-441[/QUOTE]

SamickDude....somehow I missed this post and didn't see it until now. I appreciate the response and i think you nailed it!!! I have been searching for a long time. The specs are almostexact....the only small difference is it says black hardware and mine is chrome....but everything else says that this is indeed my model, even the guitar color which only came in tobacco sunburst! I put a Gibson 490T in the bridge a couple days ago and have not been able to put the guitar down, it is a fantastic playing and sounding guitar. I am an old guy and have bought and sold everything over the years...this is the only one that is truly a keeper....and I've owned guitars that cost quite a bit. THANKS AGAIN!!!

10. GuildX700

GuildX700 Tele-Holic

Apr 28, 2016
    USA
    I have a few Royals. no P90's ever. The body starts out as solid mahogany then they route it out, it's called a monoframe:

[​IMG]

SamickDude likes this.

11. captlumpy

captlumpy TDPRI Member

Jun 25, 2015
    southwest michigan
    CAM00198.jpg fender bridge,and a jb.color is more light brown up close

Zaxxon, SamickDude and BadBen like this.

12. guitaradelic

guitaradelic Tele-Meister

Feb 20, 2008
    Anderson, IN
    Got mine! Artist model. Picked it up on Ebay for $150. Needed some clean up, plays great, sounds great. It's a bolt neck, but that's okay with me. Cool thing, those are Seymour Duncans!

Samick Artist 1.jpg

Samick Artist 2.jpg

captlumpy likes this.

13. captlumpy

captlumpy TDPRI Member

Jun 25, 2015
    southwest michigan
    [​IMG] I keep eye balling this samick on cl....$175.00...couple hours away from me though....thinking about taking a trip..lol

14. SamickDude

SamickDude TDPRI Member

Mar 20, 2016
    USA
    Sorry to bug you, but I'm very curious about that Avion.

Ah, you're right about the hardware, that was an oversight when I copied the template, thanks for catching it. I have only seen one other and it was TSB, but I get the impression dealers could order their guitars in almost any color, as you'll see the long list of colors for other models (and that's just what I've seen so far).

Hey, that provides some new info to me! Silver Sunburst (SS) is the finish name, but I haven't seen it on a Strat before. So you've got a 1995-1996 SVE-130 SS. Stock setup was SSS and unlike my '93, you got a solid Alder body.

http://samick.wikia.com/wiki/S#SVE-130

1995-1996 LSE-450 CS. You also got a solid Alder body (they moved away from laminates in 1995):

http://samick.wikia.com/wiki/LSE

American Classic Series SSM-1 in Seafoam Green:

http://samick.wikia.com/wiki/SSM

That is a fair price.

15. Vikas

Vikas NEW MEMBER!

Nov 13, 2017
    Mumbai
    Hi, Am new to this forum. I have a Greg Bennett Avion 6 which I simply love. But I was wondering if I could improve the tone substantially by upgrading the pick-ups? Has anyone here any experience with replacing the stock (Duncan Designed Humbucker) pickups?

So far, I was considering either the ProBuckers from the Epiphone LPs or even the Gibson 57 classic PAFs.

Thanks in advance.

16. adamsappel

adamsappel Tele-Meister Silver Supporter

Jun 8, 2008
    Maryland
    Greg Bennett Formula FA-2 by Samick.

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]

brookdalebill likes this.

17. Boblets

Boblets Friend of Leo's

Sep 15, 2008
    Brisbane Australia
    P1020228.jpg

Well this is my Samick. I kept the neck and built a new body for it. Plays really well.

18. jtees4

jtees4 Tele-Afflicted

Jun 13, 2010
    selden, ny
    Would anyone have a clue what trem screw size would fit my 1991 Samick YV-441? Thanks to SamickDude who ID'd it for me awhile ago...I couldn't find any info on it.
    I do know it has the ST-36 vintage style 6-point tremolo. Thanks for any info. This is the guitar in question if it helps....thanks....seems to be a very rare guitar.

[​IMG]

19. jtees4

jtees4 Tele-Afflicted

Jun 13, 2010
    selden, ny
    Nice!!!

20. adamsappel

adamsappel Tele-Meister Silver Supporter

Jun 8, 2008
    Maryland
    I replaced the Duncan Designed humbucker pickup in my FA-2 with a GFS lipstick humbucker. The DD was too hot and very out of character for the neck and middle. The lipstick is a nicer blend and looks better as well.

samtele3.jpg

IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.