Asher Guitars WD Music Products Amplified Parts Mod Kits DIY Nordstarnd Pickups Warmoth.com
Asher Guitars WD Music Products Amplified Parts Mod Kits DIY Nordstarnd Pickups Warmoth.com

Saga Telecaster kit

Discussion in 'Other T-Types and Partscasters' started by Talheid, Mar 2, 2013.

1. Talheid

Talheid TDPRI Member

Mar 2, 2013
    WI
    Since I was a tiny little kid in elementary school, I've always been a drummer, and throughout my life from that point I have improved as a drummer but have learned next to nothing about music itself, so I believe it's best to start young while i'm still young. I'm in a honors shop class where students are allowed to work on whatever they would like, and are graded on the quality of their work. While everyone else set about making furniture, I got the bright Idea to make something worthwhile, so I set about doing research online to build a guitar and I ultimately decided upon the Telecaster for two reasons. One, because i appreciate it's versatility and classic looks, and two, because there is a surplus of relatively inexpensive kits that are great for a beginner. I ended up ordering an infamous Saga kit off of amazon for about $100. I probably could've gone with something a little more high quality, but i'm on a tight budget at the moment, and simply do not have the funds to drop $700 on parts from Warmoth. Long story short, the Tele made a great shop project and after about a month and a half of work, I've created a beautiful heirloom. I painted the body in a matte metallic Pelham Blue nitrocellulose lacquer and for a little icing on the cake, I gave it a CBS headstock with a decal that replaces the "Fender" with my first name "Tyler." I would be happy to hear feedback, thank you for viewing.

Attached Files:

2. tele12

tele12 Friend of Leo's

Dec 2, 2006
    NY

3. oramac7891

oramac7891 Friend of Leo's

Sep 10, 2009
    Texas
    Looks good, nice color combo

4. Glen Smith

Glen Smith RIP

Aug 20, 2011
    Canada
    Beautiful, you must be proud.

5. Teletubbi

Teletubbi Tele-Holic

Oct 10, 2012
    West
    You done good! I bet that was a fun project.Looks great!

Im interested in the belly cut. Did you do that? I always wondered why Fender didnt do all Teles like the Strats. The Strat body cuts are so graceful in appearance as well as practical.

Teles feel ok but are so square. I guess that simplicity is part of their appeal.

6. harold h

harold h Tele-Afflicted

Feb 15, 2004

7. Talheid

Talheid TDPRI Member

Mar 2, 2013
    WI
    The body came with the belly cut already, however I probably would've done it that way had it not. I actually prefer the belly cut body to the og style teles, it makes it much more comfortable to play.

8. bendecaster

bendecaster Friend of Leo's

Aug 1, 2007
    maine
    Nice job! Looks like a keeper to me!

9. twick

twick Tele-Meister

Nov 26, 2011
    Tallahassee Fl.
    Looks great! Where did you get the Pelham blue nitro?

10. Talheid

Talheid TDPRI Member

Mar 2, 2013
    WI
    I purchased 2 cans of Nitrocellulose Pelham Blue, and 2 cans of nitro clear coat from amazon from a maker called "Gracey's Antique finishes." The cans appear a little sketchy at first, but if applied correctly the stuff goes on nice and thin. I had it looking like this after about a weeks worth of painting. I'm sure someone with more painting expertise could probably get it to a nice factory finish, but I like it matte, makes it unique. I will say the stuff is a bit pricey however, about $18 per can.

IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.