Asher Guitars WD Music Products Amplified Parts Mod Kits DIY Nordstarnd Pickups Warmoth.com
Asher Guitars WD Music Products Amplified Parts Mod Kits DIY Nordstarnd Pickups Warmoth.com

Saddles affecting tone : rattle hammers vs Am Std blocks...

Discussion in 'Telecaster Discussion Forum' started by Mike Eskimo, Sep 27, 2017.

1. Mike Eskimo

Mike Eskimo Doctor of Teleocity

Nov 9, 2008
    Detroit
    I'm just about at the end of dealing with the rattle hammers on my number one . Top loading as well . Ping-y ass high E.

Next !

So, I plan on getting the earlier American standard telecaster bridge with the block saddles.

And converting it over to string through - not for the sustain because we all know that's bunk, just because the Am Std bridge what is designed to work that way without having to drill through the back of the bridge plate.

Gotta affect the tone somewhat .

So I'm holding off getting a new bridge pick up ( probably a cavalier fat lion ) until I see what the new saddles do tonally.

I have a standard Fralin vintage in there now and I've never heard that pick up described as overly ice-picky.

Just thinking out loud ...

2. screamin eagle

screamin eagle Friend of Leo's

Oct 9, 2008
    S. CA
    I have a Wilkenson dual load bridge with compensated saddles and haven't had any issues with a 'pingy ass high E'. If you like top loading, it might be worth a look.

3. unixfish

unixfish Poster Extraordinaire Ad Free + Supporter

Apr 20, 2013
    Northeast Ohio, USA
    Do you have to drill the body for string through? OMG I could not do that!

4. Mike Eskimo

Nov 9, 2008
    Detroit
    That was going to be in the running but it's a 4 mounting hole bridge. The Am Std is supposed to match my existing 3 hole pattern .

You mean on a technical or shop level or you mean you couldn't desecrate a top loader ?

asnarski likes this.

5. RoyBGood

RoyBGood Poster Extraordinaire

I've got the block saddles as original equipment on my 1990 Tele and I like them a lot; good tone and comfy for muting. Just had to polish the 'milled' texture from the string contact point (advice from Dan Erlewine) and it makes a noticeable difference. I don't think I'd like using a classic Tele bridge now!

6. jvin248

jvin248 Friend of Leo's

Apr 18, 2014
    Near Detroit, MI
    Your comment count is pretty high so I'm sure you know the challenges of lining up those holes so they are straight on the back. ... "drill half way from both sides".

Myself, I like top loaders so I can change the strings without any flipping gymnastics. Shorter strings gives less length to stretch, for better stability and sustain. Easiest for me to drill holes in the back of a bridge to convert to top loading -- I clamp to a board, mark divots with an awl, and use a drill press.

7. boris bubbanov

boris bubbanov Telefied Ad Free Member

Mike, you sure know a lot about great music!!

Just sayin'. :^)

haggardfan1 likes this.

8. Mike Eskimo

Nov 9, 2008
    Detroit
    ^^^drill press/workshop of a luthier buddy of mine.

No biggie.

Oh - that's for two up^^^.

Boris - I know when my bawls are being busted...:lol:

boris bubbanov likes this.

9. unixfish

unixfish Poster Extraordinaire Ad Free + Supporter

Apr 20, 2013
    Northeast Ohio, USA
    I would be waaaaay too scared to put that body on a drill press and start drilling holes. No matter how closely you measure and plan, something always seems to go wrong.

I wrench on cars a bit - but I am not good with wood, so...

10. boris bubbanov

I'm good with wood. The problem is not really the wood - it is the diabolical things that happen with those hard Overseas poly finishes - they can act more like glass than anything else. One or more of the six holes ends up in the wrong place or the finish shatters and is left a mess.

I'm dead set against any through hole "solution" here. I think the best approach if the bridge has to change, is a '59 esquire style/Jim Campilongo style toploader.

t guitar floyd likes this.

11. boris bubbanov

I'm not really meaning to bust "your bawls" as I am to get you to recognize this might be "A Biggie". This is a highly worried over subject and I would guess it ate up 10% of some parts of this Forum at times. I urge you to step back and do some reading and listen to and piggyback off all the misadventures there have been at TDP and TDPRI over the years. Misadventures by luthiers - misadventures with drill presses. Not every single time but too often for comfort.

Also, check out the "Bubba Mod". Yeah, it is crude but it does directly address the main issues of toploaders and other guitars with "the wrong" bridge and/or bridge template or drill patterns. 4,000 of the posts about the "Bubba Mod" might be authored by (you guessed it) this here "Bubba". :^)

Last edited: Sep 28, 2017

12. Mike Eskimo

Nov 9, 2008
    Detroit
    Bubba ! :)

I'd love to get one of those longer vintage style (but same footprint as American Standard) Callaham bridges. I'd like it if someone (anyone) made a toploader-only bridge like the campilongo or like the late 50's toploader RI they were rumored to have made.
    I guess I just don't want 12 holes in a bridge that's supposed to have 6...

13. boris bubbanov

They're small holes.

When I drill them myself, I go for something like 1/16ths inches, maybe 3/32nds for the big E string. The big issue is the D'Addarios have colored ends and that's a bit much, and of course Bullet end strings look very "unusual".

IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.