Asher Guitars WD Music Products Amplified Parts Mod Kits DIY Nordstarnd Pickups darrenriley.com
Asher Guitars WD Music Products Amplified Parts Mod Kits DIY Nordstarnd Pickups Warmoth.com
Asher Guitars WD Music Products Amplified Parts Mod Kits DIY Nordstarnd Pickups Warmoth.com

Saddle screw

Discussion in 'Tele-Technical' started by krugg, Jan 10, 2018.

1. krugg

krugg TDPRI Member

Nov 18, 2014
    Dubai
    Hi.

I posted on here before, but I have a telecaster now so I feel like I fit in more. Anyways,
    one of the saddle screws, unlike the other 5, refuses the 1/16th allen key that the Squier Tele CVC requires for its saddle screws. None of my metric/inch allen keys fit it properly--1/16th is too small and the next size is too big. Can you find replacements in hardware stores, or should I try taping the key again?

Thanks guys.

2. boris bubbanov

boris bubbanov Telefied Ad Free Member

I can sometimes find replacement grub screws in many hardwares in the USA, in various Metric and Imperial sizes, but it could be a challenge there in Dubai.

I would detension the strings over that saddle, then the adjustment should be achievable just by turning the screw with your fingers were it protrudes out underneath. Or use that tape method. Until you decide there's another type of saddle (with hardware) you'd like to have shipped in to you. I suggest buying saddles and not individual screws, because the shipping is so onerous for small bits.

bender66 likes this.
  3. MahoganyStratDZ

MahoganyStratDZ Tele-Meister

Mar 5, 2012
    USA
    4-40 x 1/4 ...you may be able to find just the hardware by your area or amazon etc. I just went through this with a strat with a couple screws that were stripped.

4. krugg

krugg TDPRI Member

Nov 18, 2014
    Dubai
    Boris the Animal.

I'm not sure we're talking about the same height-adjusting screws--they're a bit difficult to get to. The guy at the hardware store tried turning them with these protruding pliers and said the screw was too tight even with the strings loose.

The taping method is futile.

Right on, sorry to hear. I guess it's not a big deal over there, but here, yes, can be a bit difficult to find guitar parts--silly things like push-pull pots. And most if not all brands, to support their official distributors and retailers, forbid international shipping of their items. And then you've got the CITES stuff to help with that. All sounds like consp--

I asked Fender about the measurements and they said they don't know. Or at least their representative doesn't. I contacted Darren Riley @ darrenriley.com as per their suggestion, and he suggested these: https://darrenriley.com/store/fender-screws-set-6-32x716-hex-nickel-0040800049/ , although 4-40 does seem to be what Fender uses on their 'vintage style' bridges.

Now why couldn't Fender just use flathead screws that don't strip like hex ones, like G does?

5. gsh1968

gsh1968 Tele-Holic

Jun 16, 2008
    London UK
    Looking at a close up shot I'm not sure if they are M3 or 6-32. Most far eastern hardware is M3 but the allen slot looks bigger than 1.5mm.
    Get a digital caliper on them - M3 will measure around 2.9mm and 6-32 3.37mm

6. Count

Count Friend of Leo's

If it is only one of the six screws that is a problem I would be checking the the edges of the Allan screw excess aren’t burred before I started replacing the screw. It does happen sometimes.

Teleterr likes this.
  7. krugg

krugg TDPRI Member

Nov 18, 2014
    Dubai
    Yes. You need a 1/16 imperial key. I tried 1.5 mm at first and I guess that messed it up. Not sure why people can't just use one unit of measurement.

Now the Squier Classic Vibe Custom seems to be match American models when it comes to the bridge--I think it is the only model in the Squier roster that uses imperial hardware. I measured the screws. They are 6-32, and about 0.4 long. Which you can't find anywhere here.

I know a musical store that's pretty quiet with a non-attentive employee. They have the same model as my guitar, I'll just sneak in there right when they open while he's still fixing the place and stuff, then unwrench those screws, now that I know how fast they come off.

So Darren Riley was correct, MahoganyStratDZ ([​IMG] ) was wrong, and his advice would've had me strip all the actual saddles and waste even more money.

But at least the length was correct.

You wo'?

Last edited: Jan 14, 2018
  8. Count

Count Friend of Leo's

Edges not excess, dyslexic spell checker. Whoops! Just reread the original post more carefully. Forget what I wrote. I have met a similar problem as here in Aus we use both metric and Imperial, even though we are meant to be all metric. Consequently I have a drawer full of Allan keys and just rummage through until I find the one that fits. Just because the thread is the same does not mean the hole will be. Standardisation only covers threads and Allan holes separately.

Last edited: Jan 14, 2018
IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.