Asher Guitars WD Music Products Amplified Parts Mod Kits DIY Nordstarnd Pickups darrenriley.com
Asher Guitars WD Music Products Amplified Parts Mod Kits DIY Nordstarnd Pickups Warmoth.com
Asher Guitars WD Music Products Amplified Parts Mod Kits DIY Nordstarnd Pickups Warmoth.com

Saddle replacement causing issues

Discussion in 'Tele Home Depot' started by Jode, Mar 13, 2018.

1. Jode

Jode TDPRI Member

Feb 12, 2007
    Glasgow
    Hi everyone,

I just had some Rutter straight comp saddles brought over to the UK to replace the stock ones on a '96 Japanese tele, 7.25 radius. It's my first time changing saddles over, and I'm having a lot of trouble with the G buzzing, particularly on bends but also just straight fretting higher up the neck. Raising the string doesn't seem to have much effect.

The guitar was set up absolutely perfectly beforehand, with a pretty low action, so I think it's unlikely to be a fretwork issue... I guess my question is - is this likely to be an issue isolated to my installation of the saddles, or is it a situation where every aspect of the setup now needs to be checked over?

I should add that the saddles certainly seem of very high quality - not suggesting otherwise for a second. Any advice much appreciated.

2. Tezuka27

Tezuka27 Tele-Holic

Apr 11, 2011
    Eastern Iowa
    I'm very happy with the saddles that Marc made for me. I had some trouble with buzz when I installed them, but it turned out not to be the saddle, or frets, but the saddle height adjustment screws. If you haven't already, I'd suggest adjusting the height screws under both the G and D sides of the saddle. Hopefully that'll help. If not, try running a bit of abrasive chord over the string notch to knock down any possible burrs, and, while not probable, take a look at the slot in the nut.
    Best,
    jb

3. hopdybob

hopdybob Tele-Holic

May 28, 2008
    netherlands
    i think saddles are not plug and play, so i would spend some time setting them up again.

Tezuka27 likes this.

4. Torren61

Torren61 Tele-Meister

Mar 12, 2013
    Humboldt County, CA
    The first thing I’d check is saddle height adjustment screws. Sounds like one or more are not making solid contact with the bridge plate.

Tezuka27 likes this.

IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.