Asher Guitars WD Music Products Amplified Parts Mod Kits DIY Nordstarnd Pickups darrenriley.com
Asher Guitars WD Music Products Amplified Parts Mod Kits DIY Nordstarnd Pickups Warmoth.com
Asher Guitars WD Music Products Amplified Parts Mod Kits DIY Nordstarnd Pickups Warmoth.com

Sad Day for Motorcyclist

Discussion in 'Bad Dog Cafe' started by Preacher, May 11, 2018.

1. Preacher

Preacher Friend of Leo's

Apr 17, 2007
    Big D
    HD is closing their KC plant and it sounds like they are moving some of it overseas...

https://www.msn.com/en-us/money/com...land-as-us-plant-closes/ar-AAx7k5s?li=BBnbfcN

I sold my bike three years ago and still regret it and one day will back in the saddle it saddens me to see this happen.

But Harley had to see it coming, yes they are "the brand" for American Motorcycles but their cost has gotten so high and the technology on their "cruisers and legacy" bikes has not kept up. Sure you can get one of the VRods with all the tech you want but really it is not what I think of when I think of cruising.

Sad day to see an American Icon move overseas.

2. ponce

ponce Tele-Holic

Dec 21, 2011
    Croatia
    Harley, Gibson, what's next?

3. Mr Ridesglide

Mr Ridesglide Tele-Afflicted Silver Supporter

Dec 11, 2009
    Bloomington, MN

4. cattzap

cattzap Tele-Meister

Jan 18, 2018
    Carlos, Tx
    Drive up on a head on between a MC and a truck and you'd be fine with doing away with them. I did. Used my truck lights for the meds to work and helped hold the guy while the medic reset his broke thigh so he could be helicoptered away

5. Nubs

Nubs Tele-Afflicted

Aug 16, 2014
    Houston, TX
    Now that I know this, I don't think I'll look at HDs the same again. They were once made with pride in America. Now they'll just be made.

Probably should hang on to my '13 SG (Street Glide, not the guitar).

6. OneHenry

OneHenry Tele-Holic

Apr 16, 2018
    North carolina
    Same thing happened when AMF bought HD.

Same thing happened when CBS bought Fender.

Tony474 and Chicago Matt like this.

7. bottlenecker

bottlenecker Friend of Leo's

Dec 6, 2015
    Wisconsin

Harley's been moving some of it overseas for a long time. I doubt this is huge news for HD fans, and much less so for motorcyclists.

The vrod is terrible by the way. The last good motorcycle they made was the XR1200.

tery likes this.

8. johnny k

johnny k Friend of Leo's

Jan 15, 2011
    France

9. bsman

bsman Tele-Afflicted

Jun 8, 2003
    Santa Clara
    Well, at least America is still #1 in terms of producing consumers. However, I fear China is going to pass us there, too! :D

BobbyZ, mtown, cnlbb and 1 other person like this.

10. Mouth

Mouth Tele-Holic

Feb 13, 2018
    U.S.
    I just installed a rack on my dirt scoot so I'm happy. I even got to break out the welder and paint and use my skills of an artist thanks to the high chinese quality control.

[​IMG]

alnicopu, Zepfan and bottlenecker like this.

11. LocoTex

LocoTex Tele-Holic

Jan 16, 2018
    Waxahachie, TX.
    A Harley Davidson not made in the U.S.A. is not a Harley.

12. Lacking Talent

Lacking Talent Tele-Holic

Oct 22, 2008
    Los Angeles, CA
    This '03 I got new sure was beautiful, but seemingly nothing could be done to make it stop leaking oil. Perhaps Harley-Davidson forgot to install the "pride" -- which I believe was supposed to come standard -- as the bike made its way down the assembly line?

2003 H-D FLSTCI 100th ANNI 005.jpg

13. Jakedog

Jakedog Doctor of Teleocity Ad Free Member

Mar 26, 2003
    The North Coast
    Meh. Not surprising. HD in my eyes hasn't been American made in decades anyhow. American assembled, is what I call them.

If you buy a puzzle in Taiwan and put it together in California, is it an American puzzle?

Tons of the parts have been made offshore going back to the 70's. This is just a logical progression.

alnicopu, Jammin'John, Wally and 2 others like this.

14. Mike Simpson

Mike Simpson Doctor of Teleocity

Mar 19, 2006
    Gilbert, AZ (PHX)
    My Harleys (77 & 96)... like my Gibsons are older models... any change in production or new models is completely irrelevant to me from either company.

The motorcycle boom of the late 90's to the market crash of 2008 - 2008 flooded the market with all kinds of bikes and many in the motorcycle industry have been resisting the "correction" as long as they could. All the motorcycle shows that were on TV encouraged non motorcyclists to run out and buy a big bike or custom, they languished in garages and now for years have glut the market.

Omiewise65, Nickadermis and Nubs like this.

15. David Barnett

David Barnett Poster Extraordinaire

Will they call the foreign made ones "Epicycles"?

16. rad1

rad1 Tele-Holic

Aug 5, 2015
    Santa Cruz CA
    Harley is not closing or pulling a Gibson. They will still build bikes in the US and will continue to. Harley almost folded years ago and I think they have learned to be proactive. Their overseas factories will serve an international marketplace.

Don’t fear, you will still be able to buy a big American made motorcycle that is heavy, can’t accelerate, stop or corner well but looks great sitting outside the local bar.

17. boris bubbanov

boris bubbanov Telefied Ad Free Member

I wanna thank you, personally, for being there to help that biker. I know that probably blew away all your lighthearted thoughts and put a cloud over the rest of the day. I'm glad you were there and willing to help, because that guy could've been my cousin or my friend. I appreciate what you did.

sean79, D'tar, Jakedog and 4 others like this.

18. unfamous

unfamous Tele-Meister

Jul 19, 2009
    North Georgia
    AND Harmon/Kardon...

19. dimojoe

dimojoe Tele-Meister Silver Supporter

Oct 10, 2012
    Northern Il
    I am loving my 2015, I got a great deal since I bought it in 2016. It had sat on the dealer floor for a year.

IMG_20180502_134739706_HDR.jpg

Omiewise65, Nubs, Obsessed and 3 others like this.

20. djh22

djh22 Tele-Holic Silver Supporter

Jan 12, 2012
    VA
    All riders and their loved ones thank you

Omiewise65 likes this.

IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.