S-1 Switch Wiring Diagram For A Very Specific Application

Discussion in 'Stratocaster Discussion Forum' started by youdevil, May 14, 2019.

1. youdevil

youdevil TDPRI Member

i would like to wire up my middle Strat pickup so that its volume -- and activation -- is controlled by fender's S-1 push-push knob: press it once and the middle pickup goes on and you adjust its output with the S-1's pot...press it again and that middle pickup is turned off.

i realize that most folks use the S-1 for its parallel/series/phase etc, and perhaps for that reason i cannot find a diagram that will show how to do this relatively simple mod.

anyone have or can point me to a diagram for both wiring up the pickup to the S-1, and then connecting it to the switch?

many thanks -

chris

2. AAT65

AAT65 Friend of Leo's Silver Supporter

I don’t quite follow what you want here... will you still have a 5-way switch? Or are you planning a 3-way which does B, B+N, N (as if it was a Tele), and then the S1 just adds the Middle to whichever pickup combination is selected by the 3-way? Do you want the Middle pickup blended in rather than just on / off?

An S1 is a 4PDT switch, ie 4 separate on/on switches operating simultaneously. So you can do a great deal with it, hopefully if what you want is possible then we can work out how to do it...

3. youdevil

youdevil TDPRI Member

Thanks, and apologies for not being more clear. Yes, I would like a 3-way switch with the following goal:

N
    N+B
    B

with a separate blend volume for MIDDLE, activated by the S-1

and a master volume and tone downstream from all that.

4. youdevil

youdevil TDPRI Member

PS to your question, "Do you want the Middle pickup blended in rather than just on / off?" the answer is "both" -- as in, you use the S-1 switch element to turn the middle pickup on or off, and its pot to blend in as much of that Middle pickup as i want, when it's on.

5. AAT65

OK sounds good:
    * 3-way switch with ‘Telecaster’ style switching on N & B
    * Master Tone and Volume
    * Middle pickup blend control with S1 to turn the Middle pickup on (blended) or off
    That should definitely be doable! I’ll try to draw up a schematic or a wiring diagram for you...

6. youdevil

youdevil TDPRI Member

THANK YOU! much appreciated.

7. AAT65

Strat with blend.png
    I think this might do what you are after... you just need to use any side of the S1, so it’s more than you need but who’s worrying!
    I’ve shown the master volume wired up the normal way and the mid blend wired ‘backwards’. That means if you turn the master volume down to 0 there’s no output at all - but turning the blend down to zero just cuts the Middle pickup and shouldn’t affect the Bridge / Neck signal.

IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.