Asher Guitars WD Music Products Amplified Parts Mod Kits DIY Nordstarnd Pickups darrenriley.com
Asher Guitars WD Music Products Amplified Parts Mod Kits DIY Nordstarnd Pickups Warmoth.com
Asher Guitars WD Music Products Amplified Parts Mod Kits DIY Nordstarnd Pickups Warmoth.com

Russian Roulette with a GFS Tele Neck?

Discussion in 'Tele-Technical' started by CletusVanDamme, Aug 11, 2018 at 2:10 AM.

1. CletusVanDamme

CletusVanDamme TDPRI Member

Jun 28, 2018
    Ma
    GFS is having a sale and I could get a maple telecaster neck in the clearance section for about 30.00. Is it worth gambling on or better to stay away? I am assuming they are Chinese necks of dubious quality.

2. AAT65

AAT65 Friend of Leo's

May 29, 2016
    Edinburgh, Scotland
    If you can afford to lose $30 and you have something in mind to use the neck for then why not?

nojazzhere likes this.

3. bender66

bender66 Friend of Leo's

Jan 18, 2010
    on my bike
    I got 2-3 of the kmise necks from Amazon for that price & free shipping. Better return policy than gfs too.

They're not bad honestly. You dont get any exotic radius' or shape but it'll do.

4. teleforumnoob

teleforumnoob Friend of Leo's

May 25, 2010
    North Alabama
    Had pretty good luck with the one I got for $25 a few years back.
    Once I leveled and polished the frets and did a nut job, good as any.

nojazzhere likes this.

5. Donny Osmond fan

Donny Osmond fan Tele-Meister

May 6, 2018
    Uknown.
    GSF body's and necks are decent. The guitars all ready put together are great quality though. Go figure.

6. radiocaster

radiocaster Friend of Leo's

Aug 18, 2015
    europe
    Why Russian roulette and not regular roulette? Is it a life or death situation if you lose 30 bucks?

7. CletusVanDamme

Jun 28, 2018
    Ma
    1. Dramatic effect
    2. Chances: 1 out of 6 with Russian roulette and more complex with regular roulette.
    3. Life or death no.... but needed a new alternator and a few other things for my car, so I would rather not flush $30-40 down the toilette for no reason.

8. CletusVanDamme

Jun 28, 2018
    Ma
    That is awesome!

9. CletusVanDamme

Jun 28, 2018
    Ma
    How so? I thought GFS was pretty good about returns.

I was looking at those too. I read some reviews and there was some pretty bad feedback on some of them but other people have had good luck with them.

Have you ever bought one that was unusable?

10. CletusVanDamme

Jun 28, 2018
    Ma
    GFS or Kmise?

11. Controller

Controller Friend of Leo's Silver Supporter

Jun 11, 2010
    Montana
    My GFS Xaviere hollowbody is my #1. Really took me by surprise.

12. teleforumnoob

teleforumnoob Friend of Leo's

May 25, 2010
    North Alabama
    GFS. Rosewood board. Out of the bargain bin. Had to shape the headstock myself, level and dress the frets, and do some major filing to the nut slots. Finished it with true oil. After all that it was a decent neck.

CFFF likes this.

13. bender66

bender66 Friend of Leo's

Jan 18, 2010
    on my bike
    No hassle on return.

They've all been usable. Some need fretwork like I expected. Big deal. I only wish the were fatter. I still have a couple sitting here.

I've experienced the GFS customer service for something as easy as a pickup question. It's a strike against. I've since boight a neck/body husk from them so it's not like I banished them. The bolt on necks & bodies seem to draw everyone's ire the most.

Honestly GFS necks are nothing special. You can get import necks everywhere. If you find thicker ones than the average let me know. That being said, I found some inexpensive import raw V profiles a few years back & bought a couple. One is on my CVC. I wish I'd have bought a couple more in maple. The company folded not long after. There's a few threads on here about them too.

Good luck.

IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.