Asher Guitars WD Music Products Amplified Parts Mod Kits DIY Nordstarnd Pickups darrenriley.com
Asher Guitars WD Music Products Amplified Parts Mod Kits DIY Nordstarnd Pickups Warmoth.com
Asher Guitars WD Music Products Amplified Parts Mod Kits DIY Nordstarnd Pickups Warmoth.com

Routing metal

Discussion in 'The DIY Tool Shed' started by Mat UK, Oct 31, 2018.

1. noah330

noah330 Friend of Leo's

Feb 10, 2009
    Maryland
    I would think you would shred it to bits and there would be some sharp pieces of metal flying everywhere. Maybe cut it as close as you can and sand the edges with a dremel or something.

Mat UK likes this.
  2. Vizcaster

Vizcaster Friend of Leo's

Sep 15, 2007
    Glen Head, NY
    why is it that shielding foil underneath the pickguard has to be cleanly or perfectly cut anyway? I'm in the camp of tracing around the template with a scribe or utility knife to cut the foil and be done with it. then clean up the residue of adhesive on the fraction of an inch around the underside of the pickguard. Unless I missed something and the pickguard is clear and you need a perfect edge? (I'd still cut it with a scribe or a utility knife blade)

Mat UK likes this.
  3. Mat UK

Mat UK Tele-Afflicted

Feb 17, 2009
    London, UK
    It would be preferable (to me anyway) to have a clean cut so there is a visible copper thin line between the pickguard and body - my plates are copper so I thougt it would be a nice touch to see a continuous copper accent on the PG. I’ll use a combo of knives, files and scissors and see where it gets me too!

4. Ripthorn

Ripthorn Tele-Afflicted

Oct 22, 2009
    Austin, TX
    Copper is very gummy to machine. It sticks to bits and builds up on edges. I've milled it a few times. .3mm is rather thin, so if you just left a very small overage, it could work. What I would probably do is rough cut with scissors, attach to pickguard, and clean up with a nice, sharp exactly knife. You might need to go through a few blades, but it will likely give a better cut than routing.

Mat UK and schmee like this.
  5. Mat UK

Mat UK Tele-Afflicted

Feb 17, 2009
    London, UK
    Funnily enough, the copper sheet arrived from China today. It's a lot more rigid than I thought it would be, I'm questioning whether a knife will go through it comfortably though. I'll do some tests then report back. I think it's safe to say I won't be routing it... I'm so jealous of your mill!

6. Count

Count Friend of Leo's

If the copper is cold rolled that would account for the stiffness. If you want to soften (anneal) it that is a fairly simple process but you will have to clean off an oxide film afterwards.

7. Mat UK

Mat UK Tele-Afflicted

Feb 17, 2009
    London, UK
    I’m actually okay with the stiffness - it means it should be a bit more forgiving when I eventually take knives/files/saws to it.

Annealing involves lots of heat, right? I wouldn’t trust myself with a blowtorch!

8. Count

Count Friend of Leo's

Annealing Copper is pretty simple, just heat it to dull red moving the flame steadily over the surface so that every bit has been red at some time then allow to cool is the simplest way.

9. Count

Count Friend of Leo's

Forgot to add, diluted Nitric acid will remove the oxide. I have annealed copper on an electric cook top, works ok but not as much fun as a blowtorch.

IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.