Router('s) Hump.

Discussion in 'Telecaster Discussion Forum' started by Telemarkman, Apr 30, 2015.

1. bluesfordan

bluesfordan Friend of Leo's

Oops. I'm guilty of launching a few zombie threads then. I seen enough "Google is your friend" replies to posts that I try avoid drawing such a response. In those endeavors, I've resuscitated a bygone thread or thirteen. if I've offended anyone somehow, I plead ignorance (the proof is obvious) and beg forgiveness.

2. perttime

perttime Tele-Afflicted

Which are excellent reasons to hide all the answers that have already been posted, from new members.... Why keep information accessible in one thread when you could splinter it into umpteen different places :rolleyes:

3. Telemarkman

Telemarkman Doctor of Teleocity Platinum Supporter

New members may read old threads as much as they like, they're just not allowed to make new posts in them.

Paul's forum, Paul's rules. Respect them.

4. Major Gruber

Major Gruber Tele-Afflicted

I don't know if the rules changed, but I think a thread can be forever alive as long as the O.P still answers to the new posts. I had a very funny experience 2 years ago. A friend of mine had bought a Telecaster crafted by an american Luthier Rich Rice. A very special one that he had been told had been made out of a pine table. I checked on internet with the serial number and realized Rich Rice had done a whole thread showing how he made this precise guitar out of a very old pine table (amazing thread by the way). It was the guitar my friend had in hand here in Paris! The thread was from 2007 and we were in 2013 (or 12). I sent a post on the thread and Rich Rice answered me and was very happy to have news of this guitar (great moment!).

5. perttime

perttime Tele-Afflicted

I can live with the rules. That doesn't have to mean I agree with them. It is like...

... you are looking for information. Which do you prefer:
    1) a bookshelf with books on related subjects
    2) a bookshelf with loose pages from those books, in random order

6. BritTwang

BritTwang Tele-Holic

Woah, look at the hump on that!

7. Bernie

Bernie Tele-Afflicted

Minutiae like this was commonplace in the 0le Fuzzy era of the TDPRI. Interesting to see the rediscovery process.

8. Telemarkman

I really miss that era and hope to contribute to the process you mention.;)
    Problem is that I'm not the "axespert" that 0F was. Very few of us - if any - are, actually. I'm real glad that someone like slack is back though. Hope he stays.

But there still are a few other guys here that I learn something new from (almost) every day.

Thanks to all who's contributing to this thread.:cool:

9. Tele_MEL

Tele_MEL Tele-Meister

Dagnabit Telemarkman and Ron .. you cost me a bunch of money today

but I suppose I should thank you in advance at the same time.

I don't know how scarce the supply is.. but The BlackBook certainly isn't readily available at JK Lutherie ( one on Elderly )

so I ordered one from Nacho .. cool thing will be it'll be signed.. and as others have said. . it'll go no place once I have it in my hands. It'll be a keeper for me.

it does set me back saving to get a PV52 Tele. but I figure those will be available down the road.. and ? maybe ? this book won't be ..

10. vanguard

vanguard Friend of Leo's

I believe the hump disappeared some time in '68, as that was when CBS really started making changes to the tele. I know my mid '67 had one.

I've read here and there the hump was the result of a crude router that couldn't quite make that steep turn. CBS, in an effort to eliminate all "errors," fixed the problem.

11. Telemarkman

You may be right.

Thanks for posting.

12. ArGoNiQ

ArGoNiQ TDPRI Member

I have 3 american vintage telecasters:

1 av52 2015
    1 av52 2014
    1 av hot rod 50s

The last two dont have a router hump.

The first of them have a pronunced router hump. At first I tough it was a defective, at point I was about to return it to the store.

Now I read it is a "vintage accurate".

13. Sneddo

Sneddo Tele-Meister

I have a CS Nocaster with a solid hump. In addition, it's also got a massive Lip, which I initally thought was a defect and wasn't happy until I researched and found out its period correct

14. 10thoufirst

10thoufirst Tele-Holic

Well I'm glad to have this explained to me as I've never been quite sure what it meant. But I notice that the guitar at the beginning of this thread not only has the hump but a chip on it's shoulder which must make it a guitar with real attitude.
    With regard to the Nacho book. I've been looking for a copy for the last six months with no luck. They're all sold and no second hand ones seem to come up on the market. Not this side of the Atlantic anyway.

15. PCollen

PCollen Friend of Leo's

Well I appreciate the info, and now need to go check my Tele to see if it has one. I've never given it any thought or noticed this . Do Strats have a similar 'hump" ? I have two and never noticed.

Oh well, another thing to be anal about.

16. ArGoNiQ

ArGoNiQ TDPRI Member

This is the hump In my AV52 I was talking about.

It was difficult take the correct angle in the picture. In the real guitar, the hump is more noticeable and looks weird lol...

ImageUploadedByTDPRI1454179164.585160.jpg ImageUploadedByTDPRI1454179181.458671.jpg

17. Telemarkman

Nevertheless it's period correct.

18. red57strat

red57strat Friend of Leo's Silver Supporter

When I ordered my USACG T-Style body Tommy asked if I wanted a period correct router hump and neck pocket lip. I said no and am glad I did- the neck joint is pretty slick.

19. Jupiter

Jupiter Telefied Silver Supporter

When I made my first partscaster, I ordered a pine body from Marc Rutters. It had the router hump, and I didn't know it was on purpose, so I sanded it out. I made some mention of it in my build thread at the time, but folks were too kind to say anything about it...

IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.