Asher Guitars WD Music Products Amplified Parts Mod Kits DIY Nordstarnd Pickups darrenriley.com
Asher Guitars WD Music Products Amplified Parts Mod Kits DIY Nordstarnd Pickups Warmoth.com
Asher Guitars WD Music Products Amplified Parts Mod Kits DIY Nordstarnd Pickups Warmoth.com

Router for router table

Discussion in 'The DIY Tool Shed' started by Telecastermusic, Dec 2, 2016.

1. Telecastermusic

Telecastermusic Tele-Meister

Oct 3, 2009
    northumberland, UK
    Could I have some recommendations for a suitable router to mount on a router table. Looking for something that is easily mounted and adjusted. What sort of power rating would be appropriate?
    Many thanks.

2. DrASATele

DrASATele Poster Extraordinaire

Jul 6, 2012
    North of Boston
    Really it's the Horse Power it has and the reliability.

Porter cable 690 is very popular 1 3/4 HP - I have the plunging trim router they make an love it. Neck pockets, cavities, "F" holes it's my go to for everything but routing the round overs and edges.

I have a craftsman 1 1/2 HP fixed base router in my table, it does the work well but the ability to change bits easily is missing.

3. Ronkirn

Ronkirn Doctor of Teleocity Vendor Member

May 1, 2003
    Jacksonville, FL
    after 50 years of trying routers of various configurations and qualities (prices)... get ya a good one... the cheep stuff is false economy... and make it one that has dual collets, one for ¼ inch shafts, the other for ½: ..

The Porter Cable 690 series or the newer 890 series are excellent... of course Dewalt. Bosch, and a list of others are great too..

Ron Kirn

songtalk, mudimba and DrASATele like this.
  4. AlterEgo

AlterEgo Tele-Meister

Apr 8, 2014
    Portland, ME
    In the unlikely event that my Bosch 1617 crapped the bed today I would purchase another without even considering anything else. That should tell you something. Not to say the above mentioned aren't great as well, I run a PC 690 in my copy carver. My Bosch however is my work horse. Also worth mentioning that a router is only as good as the table it's in.

John Nicholas, Bruxist and DrASATele like this.
  5. guitarbuilder

guitarbuilder Doctor of Teleocity Silver Supporter

Mar 30, 2003
    Ontario County
    I love the PC 690 routers. I have 3 of them and one of them in the router table. I wish there was a more accurate way to adjust it besides just twisting the motor. In a router table, I really prefer an increment ring that helps move the motor up and down. With the way it is now, with an adjustment lever to lock it, it wants to drop and spiral if you let go. This means one hand under the router and the other trying to get a measurement on top. I probably will end up putting in a router lift. If I were just starting out, I'd look for a router with a twisting ring adjustment. YMMV.

Last edited: Dec 2, 2016
  6. ndeli55

ndeli55 Tele-Afflicted

May 12, 2008
    oklahoma
    I just ordered this one. It gets good reviews and seems to have the power. It does have both collets and it's a dual adjust with the bonus of being adjusted via hex tool from the base side of the router. So if mounted in a table you won't have to reach under the table to finagle it. I've yet to set it up but it looked to have all the features I wanted for just this application

http://m.northerntool.com/products/...ontent=M0516&gclid=COqMg4Xg1dACFdeXfgoddxoBTg

7. mojoatomic

mojoatomic Tele-Holic

Dec 28, 2011
    Horn Lake, MS
    I love the PC690's, but I also really, really really like my Bosch 1617, especially for the router table, because it's so easy to adjust. On the table, it adjusts from the base with a T-handle allen wrench. Comes with two collects and the bits are easy to change.

The speed adjustment also works extremely well for large bits.

The only thing I don't like about the Bosch 1617 is the arrangement for attaching template guides - but I only use those occasionally anyway.

8. mojoatomic

mojoatomic Tele-Holic

Dec 28, 2011
    Horn Lake, MS
    I saw that router, they look really nice and the price is fair for what it is. The above table adjustment is worth it's weight in gold.

ndeli55 likes this.
  9. RickyRicardo

RickyRicardo Friend of Leo's

Mar 27, 2012
    Calgary, Alberta
    I have 2 of these and I am super happy with them. One for the router table and one with the plunge attachment. I bought both refurbished from the factory and they were never used previously. I saved a bunch doing it that way. I'm sure you can find these or the 690's factory refurbished. Make sure you have a speed adjustment for a table router so you can slow it down for the big router bits.

John Nicholas and Bruxist like this.
  10. mojoatomic

mojoatomic Tele-Holic

Dec 28, 2011
    Horn Lake, MS
    Bruxist and John Nicholas like this.
  11. mikeyb

mikeyb Tele-Meister

Aug 18, 2014
    Chicago, IL
    I got a Porter Cable router with my table and installed a Router Raizer kit so I could crank it to the correct height easily. Nice setup but not easy to install. Recently shopped for an extra router that had decent dust collection. The PC dust collection setup is useless. Finally got:

http://www.sears.com/craftsman-12-a...K_XHcA3r2FLfrqsmZZazIhoCpVfw_wcB&gclsrc=aw.ds

Paid under $100 and the crank feature is standard on both bases. Dust collection on the plunge base is superb. Variable speed, soft start, LED work lights and 1/2" and 1/4" chucks. Best buy!

12. Meteorman

Meteorman Tele-Holic

Dec 23, 2012
    State College PA
    Got a whole lotta hours on my Bosch. Variable speed. 1/4" & 1/2" collets.
    Love it.
    [​IMG]

Bruxist likes this.
  13. Ronkirn

May 1, 2003
    Jacksonville, FL
    yessireebob.. often overlooked.. is the Newtonian Law, "a body at rest . . . " so you want that table heavier 'n your 8 th grade English teacher.... the more "fat", the better.... within reason, you cannot have it too heavy.. and I do not recommend it on casters... unless you create a way to securely clamp or otherwise attach it to something massive, like, your cabinet table saw...

When that sumbeech catches the wood, and it will, the inertia will fling the wood across the room, if the table is a fly-weight, it will be following it... right into the vintage 54 Les Paul ya had leaning, somewhere across the room, out of the way, in a safe place... :cry:

Personally, from the quality of the tables commercially available.. I'd say make one.. for the same few hundred bux, you can buy a 1 ¼ inch thick laminated "butcher block" Oak or Maple table top at Lowes and 4x4 legs and make one a hellovalot better than you can buy.. if ya can't make the table, what are ya dooin' thinking about makin' a guitar.. think about it. :p

Ron Kirn

Bruxist and songtalk like this.
  14. jman72

jman72 Tele-Holic

Aug 31, 2013
    Central Florida
    I've got one of these Hitachi M12V2's in my router table. Probably overkill for many things, but the 3 1/4 HP are enough for just about anything you'll ever need. I watched Amazon for several weeks until the price dropped down to $150 and I jumped on it. I've had it for about 5 years and love it. I have a smaller router I use for most hand-held jobs, but this one works great for this, too.

Hitachi.jpg

RogerC and songtalk like this.
  15. Ronkirn

May 1, 2003
    Jacksonville, FL
    something else to consider... if you buy a well known router.. generally future "add-ons you may wan't to consider, like a router lift, etc will be easy to find... for instance, the Jessem units and about any other serious lift assembly accepts Porter-Cables, Dewalts and other more conventionally shaped routers... like they were made for each other.. 'cause they were made for each other.. funny how that works out.. :p

Get a router with a "pretty", but screwy shaped housing, and you're screwed...

and if the 1 ¾ hp "home duty" units aren't enough Umphhh for ya.. the Porter Cable 7518 is the industry standard for mega routers... and fits the Router-lifts as universally as a 12 penny nail fits a 2x4 . .

Ron Kirn

16. bullfrogblues

bullfrogblues Friend of Leo's

Jun 5, 2011
    Southeast Florida
    I have 6 routers including 3 PC690s, one with a D-handle that I love, and one is dedicated to the Omnijig dovetail jig.
    Bosch Colt for light cavity work, Hitachi M12V for hand held plunge work, and the table workhorse is a 3 1/4HP Triton. I needed more HP for making raised panel doors and furniture/cabinets, but it certainly works well for routing guitar bodies!

17. NotAnotherHobby

NotAnotherHobby Tele-Afflicted

Oct 27, 2015
    Da' Magic Mittin'
    I've got a DeWalt 1.5 hp fixed base router...630 line? Been pretty happy with it.

I had a Craftsman 3.25 hp plunge router that I used for my table. Luckily it had a large microadjust knob that I could use to raise and lower the bit. But I am looking to do a DIY router table and lift. I may purchase a Black and Decker for this but I'm not sure at this point.

18. koolaide

koolaide Tele-Holic

Oct 11, 2009
    south carolina
    1-purchase a jessem lift-Got one on closeout $99
    2- build a table to fit it- mine is 2 pieces of 3/4 MDF/framed with 2x4s- with laminte top -attached to cabinet saw.
    3-purchase a router motor to fit lift. (I preffer Porter Cable motor- got off fleabay- 2 1/4HP variable speed)
    Table could be stand alone-simply add legs.

Bing, Bang, Boom- Done

19. Vizcaster

Vizcaster Friend of Leo's

Sep 15, 2007
    Glen Head, NY
    My table has a milwaukee 5625-20 router with about as big a motor as you can run off of a household circuit 915 amp, "3.5" horspower "peak"). You can take off the big handles (it comes with smaller knobs or when it's in the table there's no need for them). it has a gadget that allows you to micro-adjust the height by sticking a wrench down through the table into the base (but actually it's just as easy to reach in there and turn the knob at the top, which is at the bottom when it's upside down). you have to reach underneath to flip the locking lever anyway.

For furniture I like to use the variable speed feature for very large panel raising bits and for multiple-cutter rail-and-stile bit sets. More often than not it's left on the full speed with a nice fat 1/2" shank 1/2" straight cutter in it for mortises. But it's nice and smooth for pattern routing body and neck blanks with a top-bearing bit.

20. Telecastermusic

Telecastermusic Tele-Meister

Oct 3, 2009
    northumberland, UK
    Anyone got a Triton mofoo1 router? If so, anyone used it on a router table?

IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.