Asher Guitars WD Music Products Amplified Parts Mod Kits DIY Nordstarnd Pickups darrenriley.com
Asher Guitars WD Music Products Amplified Parts Mod Kits DIY Nordstarnd Pickups Warmoth.com
Asher Guitars WD Music Products Amplified Parts Mod Kits DIY Nordstarnd Pickups Warmoth.com

Router bit touched the template.. Now what?!

Discussion in 'Tele Home Depot' started by mangus, Dec 6, 2018.

1. mangus

mangus Tele-Meister

Nov 2, 2016
    Portugal
    Hi there,
    So as the title says my template now has a few grooves and I really don't feel like redoing the template as I don't have the paper template anymore.(glued it on the piece of wood) How can I solve this? Would putty work?

2. BorderRadio

BorderRadio Poster Extraordinaire Silver Supporter

Apr 2, 2014
    Phoenix, AZ
    Bondo and resand the rough edge smooth and flush. Make a master so you'll always have an undamaged one on hand.

Last edited: Dec 6, 2018
    eallen, Blue Bill, JuneauMike and 2 others like this.
  3. DrASATele

DrASATele Poster Extraordinaire

Jul 6, 2012
    North of Boston
    If the putty dries rock hard sure. otherwise alter the template with sanding?

4. guitarbuilder

guitarbuilder Doctor of Teleocity Silver Supporter

Mar 30, 2003
    Ontario County
    Put some baking powder in the ding. Add superglue. Let it harden. Resand back. I never made any copies of any templates...I just repair them like this. No big deal. One nice thing about the stewmac bit is you can put multiple bearings on as a safety measure. I have had those bearings fail mid rout.

Arch Stanton likes this.
  5. DrBGood

DrBGood Tele-Meister

Jan 30, 2015
    Sutton QC, CANADA
    Depends how big the gouge is.

6. JuneauMike

JuneauMike Friend of Leo's

May 5, 2015
    Alaska
    My personal favorite is Durham's Rock Hard Putty. Its a water-based powder with a good shelf life and it sets up fast. Plumbers putty might work too, not sure how it sands though.

And I would not free-hand the sanding. I'd use a flat surface like a block or if its a long straight workpiece I'd glue sandpaper to a sheet of glass, like a shooting board. There is a 90 degree angle there, and you want to preserve and restore that.

7. RickyRicardo

RickyRicardo Friend of Leo's

Mar 27, 2012
    Calgary, Alberta
    I've used plumber's putty and it sands really well. I've also used epoxy and put it on when it's hard enough to spread. Sands great as well.

JuneauMike likes this.
  8. JuneauMike

May 5, 2015
    Alaska
    Also, once you get your template repaired, I'd consider cutting a master template from that that you hang on the wall and don't use. It can be made out of relatively thin presswood material. The idea is that the master is your "recovery" script for future problems such as this.

Because no matter what you use, I'd worry about how the repair will hold up to the intense vibration of router operations. It will probably function just fine, but if a big chunk later decides to just leap off the template, well you don't want to do this all over again.

9. mangus

mangus Tele-Meister

Nov 2, 2016
    Portugal
    It's a Les Paul template, no hard angles

10. JuneauMike

May 5, 2015
    Alaska
    I don't understand what you mean. If its a guitar template it has a hard angle all the way around it.

mangus likes this.
  11. Meteorman

Meteorman Tele-Holic

Dec 23, 2012
    State College PA
    In that case just throw it out and don't look back..... ;)

2blue2 likes this.
  12. mangus

mangus Tele-Meister

Nov 2, 2016
    Portugal
    You are totally right!
    I have putty so I suppose I can try it with a dab of super glue..

13. mangus

mangus Tele-Meister

Nov 2, 2016
    Portugal
    Lol... Great website by the way

14. guitarbuilder

Mar 30, 2003
    Ontario County
    2blue2 and mangus like this.
  15. mangus

mangus Tele-Meister

Nov 2, 2016
    Portugal
  16. guitarbuilder

Mar 30, 2003
    Ontario County
    The capillary action of the baking soda sucks in the superglue and hardens it to a rock like consistency. Try it on scrap first. Make a little pile. Drop in a couple of drops. It's an exothermic reaction, so there's heat being given off.

Arch Stanton and 2blue2 like this.
  17. mangus

mangus Tele-Meister

Nov 2, 2016
    Portugal
    the mad scientist in me can't wait to try it :)

18. guitarbuilder

Mar 30, 2003
    Ontario County

The more baking soda you put in there, the more you have to remove, so I like to just make the mound a bit taller than the template. Try it on scrap first. Don't glue yourself together... wear safety glasses, avoid the fumes, etc.

19. jvin248

jvin248 Poster Extraordinaire

Apr 18, 2014
    Near Detroit, MI

I notched a template before, a half moon of the router diameter. I just cut a bit of wood and rounded it smooth, glued it in the template, sanded flush, and carried on. I did have my master template to use to trim the outer radius but you don't necessarily need that, just a bit more careful sanding.

Do make the backup template to store away though.

20. Ronkirn

Ronkirn Doctor of Teleocity Vendor Member

May 1, 2003
    Jacksonville, FL
    Yes, do this.... I used to include instructions with my templates to the effect.. YOU WILL damage 'em at some point so ALWAYS use the masters to make a working template, that way when you destroy 'em, it's just an inconvienance, not a tragedy... Leave the tragedies to Shakespeare.. :D

rk

Tezuka27, BorderRadio and mfguitar like this.
IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.