Router bit for binding

Discussion in 'The DIY Tool Shed' started by papaschtroumpf, Apr 8, 2017.

1. papaschtroumpf

papaschtroumpf Tele-Holic

I was planning on doing binding for my current build but I can't seem to find the right bit.
    The stewmac setup looks sweet but is way over what I want to spend.
    Maybe I just don't know what name to search under? (Edit: I found it, it's a rabbet bit).
    My binding is 1.5mm thick.

Last edited: Apr 8, 2017
  2. papaschtroumpf

This rabbet set from Grizzly looked promising but my router only has a 1/4" collet. Edit: actually looks like its smallest channel width is going to be 1/8, too big.

http://www.grizzly.com/products/Deluxe-Rabbeting-Set-2-1-2-Shank/H5547

EDIT: looks like this is the 1/4 shaft equivalent, which does route 1/16 rabbets.

http://www.grizzly.com/products/Deluxe-Rabbeting-Set-1-1-4-Shank/H5546

Time to get the caliper out and check the actual thickness of the binding I have, since 1/16 which this set will do may be too deep. It might be cheaper to buy 1/16" binding than to buy a different bit.

Last edited: Apr 8, 2017
  3. papaschtroumpf

Looks like you can buy a single size bearing with a bit at stewmac for about 1/2 the price of the full kit. (Still about $65 with shipping)

4. Ripthorn

Ripthorn Tele-Afflicted

I use a 1/2" flush trim bit with a 3/8" bearing. Leaves a 1/16" (~1.5mm) channel. I had the bearing and bit in my router bits I already had, so it cost me nothing. However, I would prefer to get a shear angle flush trim bit just for slightly cleaner cuts.

5. BAW4742

BAW4742 Tele-Afflicted

If you can get close with a setup like Ripthorn describes you can sneak the bit out a little by wrapping tape around the bearing. I've done this with 1/4" 3M 471 tape and it worked fine. Just be careful to wrap it in the right direction so it doesn't catch and pull off the bearing. Keep a light pressure against the bearing when routing and that should help too.

6. papaschtroumpf

I went to home depot and couldn;t find bearings taht were designed to work with another bit.
    Maybe I should try something like Rockler, although they're not likely to be cheaper than the Grizzly set.

7. BAW4742

BAW4742 Tele-Afflicted

Have you tried Eagle America? They have tons of bits and they might sell bearings separate.

8. papaschtroumpf

I'll check them out thanks

9. Rock-Ola

Rock-Ola Tele-Meister

Just throwing this out for anyone in Europe looking for a binding cutter: Wealden Tool Company in the UK has a rabbeting bit and bearings that will do the trick. Just bought the bit and half a dozen bearings for about half the cost of the Stew-Mac set.

10. OpenG Capo4

OpenG Capo4 Friend of Leo's

MLCS sells bearings in just about any size. I use a cheap "wood river" rabbeting set from Woodcraft and order the size bearings I need to work with it. Just add it up and see how much smaller of a bearing you need than your cutter diameter. Then find a bearing with those specs. Nothing to it.

11. R. Stratenstein

R. Stratenstein Doctor of Teleocity Silver Supporter

This is what I did with my Labrocaster build. I used an MLCS rabbet bit and bearing set, and built the bearing diameter up with aluminum tape to get the exact thickness I needed. Since the part of the bearing that has the tape has no real stress and moves slowly to guide the router, it's plenty durable enough for a couple of trips around the body perimeter, and probably quite a few more.

http://www.tdpri.com/threads/the-labrocaster.402988/page-9#post-5074549

12. Mase

Mase Tele-Meister

Looking at doing binding myself in the near future, so I've been checking out all the threads about binding, as you do..
    Just a question.. I keep reading " get a 1/2 inch bit and put a 3/8 bearing on it".
    Now excuse my metric but that's about 3 mm (1/8) and all the binding I'm seeing for sale is 1.5 mm or thereabouts.
    Am I missing something here ? Wouldn't be the first time :confused:

13. Reckless Rat

Reckless Rat Tele-Meister

Divide that total difference by two, as these diameters are stacked on top of each other. Excuse crappy diagram

_| 9.5 |_
    |_12.5__|

So there's a total difference of 1.5mm all around.

ETA: Hmm... that didn't work. Anyway, I hope you get the general idea :)

14. Mase

Mase Tele-Meister

Lol I knew I was being a bit thick ! thanks a lot Reckless I appreciate the response.

IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.