Router advice

Discussion in 'The DIY Tool Shed' started by Mat UK, Nov 27, 2014.

1. Mat UK

Mat UK Tele-Afflicted Silver Supporter

Hey,

I've bought a single speed Bosch Palm Router (my first ever router), I think it's known as a Bosch Colt in the States. I didn't want something too cumbersome so this seemed ideal. While researching cutting bits, I discovered that most cutting bits are designed to work optimally at certain speeds, the bigger the bit the slower the speed. Does this mean I can only use certain bits in my router e.g smaller diameter bits? It has a no-load speed of 33,000rpm. What are the repercussions of running slow speed bits at high speed?

Thanks

2. guitarbuilder

guitarbuilder Doctor of Teleocity Silver Supporter

You won't want any bits with a larger diameter than can fit into the hole in the base plate. Large diameter bits used for things like hand rails need to run at a slower rpm because of the mass and force created.

PR20EVSK Colt™ Variable-Speed Palm Router Kit (shown) Carrying Case Included 106 Boschtools.com Route rs Pa l m The Colt Palm Routers are the first small routers to offer power, precision, versatility and comfort. They are perfect for many routing tasks, including rounding off deck planks and railings, creating decorative edges, cutting slots and grooves, trimming laminates and cabinet face frames, making window cut-outs, routing decorative inlays and dovetails, and more. Rout Hinge Mortises Features • Great for rounding-over deck planks and railings, hinge mortising, decorative edge forming, slot cutting, dovetailing, window cutouts, decorative inlays, laminate trimming and more. • 1.0 HP (Max. Tool Output) - 5.6 Amp Motor, 35,000 RPM • Rugged Aluminum Fixed Base - Durable, solid and precise • Fast & Precise Depth Adjustment System - Allows both macro and micro adjustment • Unique Finger Support Pockets - For additional stability, especially when trimming edges • Enhanced Bit Capacity - Fixed Base accepts bits up to 1-5/16" in diameter

I'd be hanging on with 2 hands with a bit that diameter.

from the single speed PR10E manual

CHECK SUBBASE LOCATION Make sure that the bit and its cutter are centered in the subbase opening. If necessary, adjust the location of the subbase as follows: 1. Loosen the four screws that hold the subbase. 2. Adjust the location of the subbase as needed so that the bit and its cutter are centered in the subbase opening. 3. Tighten the four screws that hold the subbase (Fig. 10). Cutter diameter must be at ! WARNING least 1/4" smaller than opening for the bit and cutter.

Benefits: PR10E Colt™ Single-speed Palm Router
    •1.0 HP (max. tool output) — 5.6 Amp motor -16,000 35,000 RPM
    •Rugged aluminum fixed base — durable, solid and precise
    •Fast & precise depth adjustment system — allows both macro and micro adjustment
    •Unique finger support pockets — for additional stability, especially when trimming edges
    •Enhanced bit capacity — fixed base accepts bits up to 1-5/16 In. in diameter
    •Soft Start — reduces start-up torque
    •Constant Response™ circuitry — monitors and maintains speed under load for consistent performance and provides overload protection
    •Versatile bit-changing system - fast, easy bit changes using two wrenches or spindle lock and one wrench
    •Quick-clamp system — allows motor to be easily adjusted or moved from base to base
    •Palm-grip design — the most comfortable router in its class
    •Angled cord exit — helps keep cord out of the way

3. Frodebro

Frodebro Doctor of Teleocity Ad Free Member

The Colt is a trim router-it isn't designed to spin larger bits. The largest bit that I'm willing to use with my trim router is a 1/4" roundover, anything larger than that goes in the bigger router.

4. Mat UK

Thanks both. So to get the best results, and to stay safe, I'm better off using the smallest bits I can for the job. Have I made a poor decision going for a palm router? Hopefully it will get the jobs done I need for a guitar build.

5. guitarbuilder

For a tele, you need a 3/16" roundover for the body edge and maybe a 3/16 -1/4" straight for a truss rod slot. Any pattern routing for pickups and neck can be done with a 1/2" x 1/2" deep pattern bit. ( I like the stewmac one). I'd have invested in a full size router like the PC 690, but your palm router is capable of doing most of the work equally well. I'm not a supporter of flush trimming a body on the perimeter due to tear out, so I'd cut and sand for that. YMMV.

6. Mat UK

Thanks. I don't have access to a drum sander so I'm relying on flush trimming. Going to take lots of shallow passes. Burn can be sanded out though, right?

7. guitarbuilder

Yeah, but you can sand a lot of material down to get it off if it is deeply scorched.

8. macaroonie

macaroonie Friend of Leo's

You'll be fine with that Bosch ( GKF600 ) and it will run 12.7mm bits without any probs.
    The thing with bigger dia bits running at slower rpm is all to do with the cutting speed at the cutting edge.
    Anyway as with any router there is a goodly measure of ' feel' and knowing your machine. Every bit of wood is different also. The best thing you can do is practice and try to establish ' feel '
    Nice fresh good quality bits helps no end. In the UK , Titmann , Trend . Sometimes you can see Whiteside bits from the US at great prices on Amazon.
    There is a large oversize baseplate for your machine , I would use this as it aids stability on body edge work.
    The big tearout zone is the tip of the lower horn and I'll wager that most of the mishaps occur due to tipping in this minimal area. Once the router tips over even a little it digs in and has a huge bite at the masterpiece in the making.

M

9. Mat UK

IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.