Asher Guitars WD Music Products Amplified Parts Mod Kits DIY Nordstarnd Pickups darrenriley.com
Asher Guitars WD Music Products Amplified Parts Mod Kits DIY Nordstarnd Pickups Warmoth.com
Asher Guitars WD Music Products Amplified Parts Mod Kits DIY Nordstarnd Pickups Warmoth.com

Route Neck Pocket before or after cutting body?

Discussion in 'Tele Home Depot' started by Vespa_One, Jan 10, 2019.

Tags:

Route Neck Pocket before or after cutting body?

1. Route neck pocket BEFORE cutting body

12 vote(s)
    41.4%
  2. Route neck pocket AFTER cutting body

17 vote(s)
    58.6%
  1. Ronkirn

Ronkirn Doctor of Teleocity Vendor Member

May 1, 2003
    Jacksonville, FL
    Yep.. that's true, and you can visit the results at any Guitar shop ... and if that was worth a hoot, there wouldn't be any need for a me or a you... :p In fact I'm sure you, like me, get to correct a lot of the results of those "Flow Charts".:eek:

And, when ya build customs there isn't any "Flow Chart, there is only a momentary pause when you think.. "Damn, it's supposed to be to spec.. I guess the "specs" came from another Planet . . How am I gonna make this work". :lol:

rk

mfguitar and eallen like this.
  2. SacDAve

SacDAve Poster Extraordinaire

Dec 23, 2009
    Rocklin Ca.
    I always route them first mount the neck Then I find the true center using a straight edge down each side of the neck, from there it's simple to create a true center line to work off. If I'm using a good template that i've used before then I route it before.

Vespa_One likes this.
  3. Freeman Keller

Freeman Keller Tele-Meister

Aug 22, 2018
    Washington
    Again, you can do it both ways. This tele-clone was bound before being routed

IMG_4659.JPG

This 335 was routed, then bound

IMG_3337.JPG

Important thing about the 335 is that the top is arched which set the angle for the pocket

Vespa_One likes this.
  4. TRexF16

TRexF16 Friend of Leo's

Apr 4, 2011
    Tucson
    Freeman, I concur with you on both of the above being the best way for that particular guitar design. I believe a thinking person looking at those pics of how you did it would see the benefit of the chosen approach in both cases. My recommendation to bind before cutting the neck pocket is exclusively referring to a Tele body, as I tried to caveat in my post. Sorry if there was any confusion on this.

All the best and thanks for all you have been contributing here since you joined!
    Rex

Vespa_One likes this.
  5. Freeman Keller

Aug 22, 2018
    Washington
    Rex, yes, but the OP didn't say what kind of guitar he was building and lets face it, very few telecasters are going to be bound. The tele clone in my pictures was bound before the neck was routed.

Another reason to bind before routing is that if you happen to drill the jack hole there is a good chance your follower bit will fall into it....

And thank you, I'm never sure whether I'm being helpful or stepping on toes.

6. TRexF16

TRexF16 Friend of Leo's

Apr 4, 2011
    Tucson
    In my 32 years as an F-16 Instructor Pilot I have frequently managed to do both. Simultaneously. Why change now...? ;)

eallen likes this.
  7. Vespa_One

Vespa_One Tele-Holic

Feb 14, 2017
    US
    OP here:

Thanks for all the great information!

I am building an LP JR Double Cut type guitar. Flat top, no binding.

I’ve used a similar method to Meteorman in the past, leaving the neck pocket long. I also leave it wide and get at it with files and sandpaper after routing. Lots more work than you pros but I’m less likely to have a disaster with the router.

Interesting that the poll is split 50/50.

8. eallen

eallen Tele-Afflicted

Since I routed my 1st pocket from one of Ron Kirn's benevolent build threads many years ago I did it the way he did, after the route. Years later I do it well, after the body route. Why? Because that is what I got used to. I have done it other ways if a template is connected to something else but my default is what I am used to.

The moral of the story, do what works for you, your tools available, and your comfort that gets the desired result. Outside of that what the rest of us doesn't really matter.

Eric

Vespa_One likes this.
  9. Freeman Keller

Aug 22, 2018
    Washington
    That changes things slightly. A Les Paul Junior double cut is a set neck guitar with, according to Gibson's web site a mortise and tenon joint set at 3-1/2 degrees. The fact that the top is flat implies that there is some overstand. It also has a combination bridge and wrap around tail piece. It doesn't matter at all whether you cut out the shape of the body before or after doing the tenon but you are going to have to do some serious setup to route the angle (and my suggestion is to have your bridge in your hands to take measurement as you proceed).

You might want to review the thread I did on the Chambered LP-thing, most of the neck stuff will be on pages 2 and 3

http://www.tdpri.com/threads/a-chambered-lpish-looking-thing.874641/

Mine is different since it has a slight arch to the top and it is bound, but the neck joint is the same

IMG_1970.JPG

Vespa_One likes this.
  10. Vespa_One

Vespa_One Tele-Holic

Feb 14, 2017
    US
    Thanks so much for this info.
    I should have been more specific, I’m actually doing a bolt on neck double cut type guitar.

11. Vespa_One

Vespa_One Tele-Holic

Feb 14, 2017
    US
    Great thread Freeman Keller!

12. trev333

trev333 Telefied Ad Free Member

after ..... I often shape a blank before I get the neck.. I never cut a neck pocket until I have the neck I'm going to use in my hands....:)

did this today.. going to be a tele bass..

body blank shaped1.jpg

eallen and Vespa_One like this.
  13. RickyRicardo

RickyRicardo Friend of Leo's

Mar 27, 2012
    Calgary, Alberta
    I posted this in the other LP DC thread. Lots of info.

Vespa_One likes this.
  14. darren7

darren7 Tele-Meister

Jul 31, 2009
    Toronto
    I'd rather be holding the block of wood that's between me and the spinning blade, than the machine that's spinning the blade.

guitarbuilder likes this.
  15. eallen

eallen Tele-Afflicted

I spent a few years in production on the partner twin turbine AF bird the F-15, as well as Navy F18-EF, Marine AV8-B & advance of prototypes. A fun world.

Eric

IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.