Round-a-bouts

Discussion in 'Bad Dog Cafe' started by uriah1, May 21, 2019.

1. John Backlund

John Backlund Friend of Leo's Gold Supporter

They can be 'interesting' with a 45 foot motorcoach, especially the small, tight roundabouts.

Last edited: May 21, 2019
    verb boten and Toto'sDad like this.
  2. Theorage

Theorage Tele-Meister

The only issue I have with them is when they are forced into an existing 2-lane crossroads, and there's not enough real estate to make the circle diameter large enough. Traffic jams up because one can't get entrance due to lack vehicle spacing in the circle, and smooth flow ceases. Tractor trailers hate the mini-circles too!

uriah1 likes this.
  3. Mike Eskimo

Mike Eskimo Doctor of Teleocity Ad Free Member

- Roundabouts are a metaphor for life and how we navigate/negotiate it.

- The understanding of/dealing with them (i.e. how we react when we first come across one and how we regard them later) should be scrutinized by a governing board made up of 3rd graders and - thems that come up lacking and/or make the kids laugh ?

Revoke their licenses.

uriah1 likes this.
  4. Toto'sDad

Toto'sDad Telefied Ad Free Member

The roundabout we have here in Bakersfield proves that the city engineers NEVER communicate with one another when designing streets. I do find that going in the opposite direction in a roundabout is very difficult but not impossible.

uriah1 likes this.
  5. Dennyf

Dennyf Tele-Afflicted

I like roundabouts. Unfortunately, around here, practically nobody understands them. It's largely because the typical American driver is this:

scrimmer likes this.
  6. schmee

schmee Poster Extraordinaire

I like them, although occasionally they put one where you say "WTF..here? Why?"
    The rule is: "first come first serve" If you are not in the roundabout and someone else is, they have right of way.

uriah1 likes this.
  7. joealso

joealso Tele-Holic Silver Supporter

Correct. And, if the rumor is true, it's clockwise south of the equator.

Daddydex likes this.
  8. Toto'sDad

Sometimes if I have to use the roundabout I just drive around and around in there, and pretend I'm Kyle Busch driving my Honda CRV at Talladega. I especially enjoy when I remember to tie a bandana around my head with the two tiny little holes to see out of that aren't visible for more than a couple of feet.

uriah1 and Chip like this.
  9. raito

raito Poster Extraordinaire Silver Supporter

But hard to retrofit into built-up areas.

10. bgmacaw

bgmacaw Friend of Leo's

"I went to the roundabout, fell down on my knees" just doesn't work.

11. BigDaddyLH

BigDaddyLH Telefied Ad Free Member

True, the flow would prevent that, speckally at midnight.

12. Toto'sDad

Pedestrians in B town don't usually fare well. They take up valuable space on the sidewalks used by skate boarders, motorized scooters, bicyclist, and large dogs who are in dire need of a bowel movement. If they do venture out, there's a good chance they will be run down. Our pedestrian fatality rate isn't a national record, but it's right up there with the best of them. Over 50 have been involved in fatal injuries involving automobiles, most of them in Oildale, and East Bakersfield. After careful consideration, and a study by traffic engineers, they have hit upon installing signs to warn pedestrians of the danger of being one. My fear is that passing drunk drivers reading the signs mistakenly thinking they are warnings of a DUI checkpoint ahead will veer off willy nilly trying to avoid the checkpoint and actually increase the problem.

BTW,

Good luck!

uriah1 and verb boten like this.
  13. SecretSquirrel

SecretSquirrel Friend of Leo's Ad Free Member

I like the one they installed a couple blocks down from me. Coming home in the car, I don't have to stop (if the roundabout has no oncoming cars) and make a left turn on a busy blind curve, like I did before the roundabout.

One of the other new roundabouts in town, however, seems to impede traffic. It was better without it.

uriah1 likes this.
  14. Toto'sDad

On the subject of pedestrians I forgot to mention that recently while out for a walk, we encountered two (2) dirt bike motorcycles on the side walk ahead of us! Fortunately, they seemed intent on covering both sides of the street and veered off across four lanes of traffic, and jumped (literally onto the sidewalk across the way). While this was a one time occurrence, I have now discovered something else to be on the lookout for when walking.

15. Toto'sDad

Adding the prerequisite jeep being towed behind must really add to the challenge!

uriah1 likes this.
  16. Piggy Stu

Piggy Stu Friend of Leo's

In England we also call a merry go round a roundabout, so even more inappropriate

17. SecretSquirrel

SecretSquirrel Friend of Leo's Ad Free Member

:lol:

The roundabout by my place, when I'm headed home, takes me almost all the way around the circle. I must try doing a few laps sometime... when no one is looking!

Toto'sDad likes this.
  18. Toto'sDad

Feeeeeels GREAT doesn't it? :lol::lol:

19. verb boten

verb boten Tele-Meister

A roundabout was installed at a T intersection directly in front of a small used car lot, i've wanted to stop by and ask him how it affected his business...the road is much busier now and pulling into his lot slows down traffic coming out of the RAB.
    But i like 'em.

20. VintageSG

VintageSG Friend of Leo's

A round-a-bout with a good surface ( and a good exit ) makes for excellent 'knee-down' practice for motorcyclists. Surf the circle, right knee down, flick to the left to exit ( UK! ), down the road, U-turn, rinse and repeat.

A wet round-a-bout and an unladen Transit is van-drift heaven.

'I went down to the roun'bout, surfed round on my knee...'

Tony474 and beagle like this.
IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.