Round-a-bouts

Discussion in 'Bad Dog Cafe' started by uriah1, May 21, 2019.

1. Skamania

Skamania Tele-Meister Platinum Supporter

I was there one evening when it was packed. There was a tiny Mini and a bus was waiting to enter. The Mini looked so small.

The last thread had mentioned the big Roundabout in Long Beach, Calif and I’ve been in that one. It is a big roundabout and the drivers don’t take fools lightly. I am always glad to leave that one unscathed.

2. JL_LI

JL_LI Friend of Leo's

First time in Australia, visiting my son when he was an exchange student at University of New South Wales,I entered a roundabout in a counter clockwise direction. Roundabouts were the most challenging part of driving on the wrong side of the road. :oops:

I found the answer to the riddle “How many people does it take to drive on the left?” The driver and everyone else in the car to scream in his ear, “You’re going to kill us all!!!” :eek:

Chunkocaster likes this.
  3. DrPepper

DrPepper Tele-Afflicted

That ain't no round-a-bout, that is the Queen Mother of all free for all traffic circles. Round-a-bouts and traffic circles are two entirely different creatures... One eases traffic, saves gas and eliminates confusion, the other doesn't.

4. MojoTrwall

MojoTrwall Tele-Meister

The only dangerous thing in Rond Point de l'étoile is pedestrians (mostly touristes) trying to cross the road while there's an underground acces for Arc de Triomphe.

But believe me, they saves live, crossroads and stop are so much more dangerous.

Skamania likes this.
  5. MojoTrwall

MojoTrwall Tele-Meister

Semantic problem here.

We call both of them rond point even thought rules are not the same between both.

6. DrPepper

DrPepper Tele-Afflicted

A few NASCAR stickers, a wheel rub mark and some dents will work wonders towards getting other drivers to give you some leeway.

7. beagle

beagle Friend of Leo's

You should try this one in Swindon...

[​IMG]

Skamania likes this.
  8. nojazzhere

nojazzhere Poster Extraordinaire

Which works so well with all the other situations of yielding to whoever has the "right-of-way"...;););)
    And as to those who say cars already on the roundabout (or "circles" as they're called here), we have circles where there is no set right-of-way.....they post YIELD signs. Sometimes cars already ON the circle have preference, sometimes cars ENTERING the circle do.
    In my view, circles are generally a waste of real estate.
    And Roundabout is a song by Yes that I LOVE!!!!!!

Chunkocaster likes this.
  9. DrPepper

DrPepper Tele-Afflicted

If you don't understand traffic circles, here's the key... merge left and stay left (counter clock-wise, right for clock-wise)...

Obsessed likes this.
  10. Endless Mike

Endless Mike Friend of Leo's

There ya' go. I was starting to think I was going to have to post it.

nojazzhere and Chunkocaster like this.
  11. DrPepper

DrPepper Tele-Afflicted

Cool, a come and go model...

Skamania likes this.
  12. Endless Mike

considering that I'm noticing folks around here can barely handle a four way intersection any longer, I figure a roundabout will lead to fatalities.

13. Endless Mike

Holy cow, now I begin to understand why Andy Partridge has always complained about Swindon!

beagle likes this.
  14. Mr Ridesglide

Mr Ridesglide Tele-Afflicted Gold Supporter

I can only speak of them in the countries I have used them - USA (more now than ever), Ireland, France, Italy -
    I think they are awesome and make things just roll along nicely - I do agree that it's more difficult when there's foot traffic about as well.
    The people that have been using them for years are way better at it, than I, but once you get the hang of it it's awesome.

8barlouie likes this.
  15. reactor99

reactor99 TDPRI Member

The US TV show Mythbusters did an experiment and found the circle processed traffic more efficiently than a conventional traffic light controlled intersection. But my wife hates them!

perttime and uriah1 like this.
  16. Guitarteach

Guitarteach Poster Extraordinaire

Nah.. Much safer. Those crazies that mess about cutting in at roundabouts would be even faster and cause more severe and fatal crashes in lesser junction types.

Embrace a better world. It will see thousands of families spared the worst possible tragedy.

90CBBF29-63CD-461A-AD62-3303F5B4B249.jpeg

https://safety.fhwa.dot.gov/provencountermeasures/roundabouts/

perttime likes this.
  17. Lawdawg

Lawdawg Tele-Meister

I posted in the other thread as well, but I'm a big fan of roundabouts and they've become increasingly popular in the Atlanta area. They're not only safer but typically improve traffic flow at bad intersection.

I'm also a fan of diverging diamond interchanges which are increasingly being built in the Atlanta area to replace the worst freeway exits. While a bit odd at first, they greatly improve traffic flow. These are kind of a new development, but I suspect they will become very popular in large metro areas with heavy traffic problems like mine -- looking at you LA!

Skamania likes this.
  18. memorex

memorex Friend of Leo's

People often don't realize that it costs 250K-500K per light to install a traffic signal these days, plus thousands per year in electricity charges and maintenance. Imagine the cost of a 4 or 5 way intersection. Roundabouts are cheaper to install, require much less maintenance, don't stop working in a thunder storm, and are more efficient at moving cars through an intersection.

perttime and verb boten like this.
  19. Piggy Stu

Piggy Stu Friend of Leo's

I spend most of my time as a pedestrian but my buttocks always looked dented - just need the sticker and I am off to the roundabout

Toto'sDad and verb boten like this.
  20. verb boten

verb boten Tele-Meister

Sadly, some of us were not here for that event. :(
    IMO they are a tremendous asset, especially in areas of quick population growth where formerly "functional" intersections become overloaded traffic jams. I just wish they could be completed quicker: the 3 we have now have taken over a year to complete EACH, forced detours for a long time. The results are worth it.
    And while i'm wishing, a wish that every driver could understand the concept. :rolleyes: Most common, those who are afraid to commit and waiting until the RAB is empty before entering...i've been behind those drivers before. :mad:

imwjl likes this.
IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.