Asher Guitars WD Music Products Amplified Parts Mod Kits DIY Nordstarnd Pickups darrenriley.com
Asher Guitars WD Music Products Amplified Parts Mod Kits DIY Nordstarnd Pickups Warmoth.com
Asher Guitars WD Music Products Amplified Parts Mod Kits DIY Nordstarnd Pickups Warmoth.com

Rosewxxd Kindling?

Discussion in 'Tele Home Depot' started by philosofriend, Apr 16, 2018.

1. philosofriend

philosofriend Tele-Holic

Oct 28, 2015
    Kalamazoo
    I was jamming at my friend's house last Friday night and he asked me to light the woodstove on the front porch. Underneath the cardboard in the kindling box was..... two pounds of old rejected fretboard blanks! Here in Kalamazoo Michigan lots of people have bits of old reject guitar woods that were given to them by Gibson workers.

Needless to say I didn't start the fire with the Rxxsewood! Now it's in my guitar wood stash.

When I bought my house 30 years ago I discovered a couple pounds of ebony fretboard blanks on top of a heating vent.

Bruxist and guitarbuilder like this.

2. tfarny

tfarny Tele-Afflicted

Sep 4, 2008
    Hudson Valley, NY
    Cool story - is Rosewood now a forbidden word? Just curious about the xx thing.

3. philosofriend

philosofriend Tele-Holic

Oct 28, 2015
    Kalamazoo
    You're not supposed to acquire it without proof that it was cut before nineteen sixty-something.

4. RM8485

RM8485 TDPRI Member

Jul 18, 2010
    Delaware
    Someone told me that rosewood was toxic to burn, though I'm not sure how accurate that is.

5. djh22

djh22 Tele-Meister Silver Supporter

Jan 12, 2012
    VA
    That's EXACTLY why the OP chose to confiscate it ... in the interest of safety ;)

Crafty Fox likes this.

6. Flakey

Flakey Friend of Leo's

Brazilian or Indian rosewood?

7. philosofriend

philosofriend Tele-Holic

Oct 28, 2015
    Kalamazoo
    Of course all wood smoke is toxic, but the heavy rain forest woods are extra bad. The oils in the wood kill any bugs that try to eat the trees. When you sand rosewood, and other similar dense tropical woods, the dust will make you feel sick for a couple of days if you breathe it in. Hot rosewood smells like making beautiful guitars to me but I have learned through bad experiences to wear a dust mask.

Seems like most of the guitars I have loved playing in my life have had those beautiful chocolate brown fingerboards, and for acoustics, the bridges. Sad that the Chinese hunger for exotic furniture has made it so guitar makers can't hardly get that wood any more.

8. R. Stratenstein

R. Stratenstein Doctor of Teleocity Silver Supporter

Aug 3, 2010
    Loganville, Ga.
    Wow, what a find!

Maybe all that toxic smoke going up it is what makes the old Gibson smokestack on Parsons St. lean ?

IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.