Asher Guitars WD Music Products Amplified Parts Mod Kits DIY Nordstarnd Pickups Warmoth.com
Asher Guitars WD Music Products Amplified Parts Mod Kits DIY Nordstarnd Pickups Warmoth.com

Rosewood Tele Export: new CITES Regulations

Discussion in 'Telecaster Discussion Forum' started by cyberglad, Sep 20, 2017.

1. cyberglad

cyberglad TDPRI Member Gold Supporter

Oct 14, 2016
    Morges, Switzerland
    Anyone tried to buy a rosewood Tele in the US and bring it out of the country? What do airport immigration authorities say? Will they withdraw the guitar? Or just the neck?

2. rze99

rze99 Friend of Leo's Silver Supporter

Feb 26, 2014
    South London UK
    Not tried, but I wouldn't risk it.

3. otterhound

otterhound Poster Extraordinaire

Dec 14, 2008
    Manheim Pa.
    Send me a 2 way ticket and I will visit you with my Rosewood Tele . I will need to renew or redo my passport .

brookdalebill likes this.

4. diego_nu

diego_nu TDPRI Member

Nov 8, 2007
    Buenos Aires
    Last January i bought a Gibson Les Paul Studio in Miami and brought with me to Argentina with no problems.
    No papers or anything else need it.

5. stratoblaster

stratoblaster Tele-Meister

Aug 2, 2006
    Scottsdale AZ
    I sold a visiting Australian guy a Strat with rosewood. He picked it up locally and I told him be sure you can get it home. He wasn't worried and I heard from him the guitar made it home fine.

6. FenderScott

FenderScott TDPRI Member

Oct 29, 2017
    Toronto, Canada
    From what I have read you are fine travelling with your guitars without any certificates. Shipping is where you can run into trouble. If it gets checked they can confiscate it. I am not sure that there are a lot of enforcement measures in place yet. I shipped one and had one shipped to me early in the year with no issues but I don't think I would try it now.

7. Marn99

Marn99 Tele-Meister

Nov 25, 2016
    Brookfield, WI
    Non commercial travel of less than 22 pounds of any rosewood that is not on appendix I of the CITES list is allowed. All Rosewoods (Dalbergia spp.) are on CITES appendix II except for Brazilian Rosewood (Dalbergia nigra), which is on appendix I. That is only non commercial (ie traveling with your guitar on vacation), if you are buying or selling, you and/or the seller needs all relevant permits and documents.

IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.