Rolling Stones Give “Bitter Sweet Symphony” Songwriting Credit to Richard Ashcroft

Discussion in 'Bad Dog Cafe' started by warrent, May 24, 2019.

1. warrent

warrent Friend of Leo's

In 1997, Stones manager Allen Klein famously negotiated all publishing royalties away from Ashcroft, who sampled a cover of the Stones’ “The Last Time” on the Verve mega-hit

https://pitchfork.com/news/rolling-...riting-credit-to-the-verves-richard-ashcroft/

A full statement from Ashcroft reads:

It gives me great pleasure to announce as of last month Mick Jagger and Keith Richards agreed to give me their share of the song Bitter Sweet Symphony. This remarkable and life affirming turn of events was made possible by a kind and magnanimous gesture from Mick and Keith, who have also agreed that they are happy for the writing credit to exclude their names and all their royalties derived from the song they will now pass to me.

I would like to thank the main players in this, my management Steve Kutner and John Kennedy, the Stones manager Joyce Smyth and Jody Klein (for actually taking the call) lastly a huge unreserved heartfelt thanks and respect to Mick and Keith.

Music is power.

2. Torren61

Torren61 Tele-Afflicted

Pity it had to come to that. The songs don't sound that much alike.

3. Guitarteach

Guitarteach Poster Extraordinaire

4. Alamo

Alamo Doctor of Teleocity Silver Supporter

That this comes so late is a Bitter Sweet Symphony indeed. I'm glad it did.
    Seems like Allen Klein and ABKCo have been quite the ankle biters ever since and even ripped off the Stones.

5. TokyoPortrait

TokyoPortrait Tele-Holic

Hi.

As of right now, the Verve song, on their official YouTube channel, has 456,874,449 views. That's not really half a billion, but close enough. That's a hunk of revenue. From what I just found about average income per view, that's about $1.4 mil at the low end of the per 1,000,000 views range, and $3.2 mil at the top.

They have other videos too :). As well as 'average' ones in the tens of thousands, I just counted 8 on their top page with figures between 2.4 and 52 million views.

Yoinks! is all I have to say.

Pax/
    Dean

6. Gibson

Gibson Friend of Leo's

Except that this is the version that was sampled—not even a Stones recording. The resemblance is much more obvious.

7. Guitarteach

Guitarteach Poster Extraordinaire

Yep. He got lucky.

He took more than the 5 notes that was agreed... main hook, the bulk of the vocal melody line and phrasing is not even original and is just the lifted violin part...

BSS adds nothing unique to my ear anyway. If I was the orchestral arranger, I’d be mad.

Last edited: May 24, 2019
    Gibson, Teleka and Mid Life Crisis like this.
  8. BluesGuitarMart

BluesGuitarMart Tele-Meister

I remember in 1997 at the absolute height of their fame, Total Guitar magazine wanted to print the sheet music to Lucky Man, they asked The Verve for permission and the band said no. So Total Guitar just wrote a description of how to play it as it's only a few chords. Never liked The Verve after that, although now I'm older I understand The Verve themselves probably had nothing to do with the decision!

IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.