Roland Blues Cube Fan Club

Discussion in 'Amp Owners Clubs' started by fatherjones, Mar 26, 2008.

1. Grateful Ape

Grateful Ape Tele-Holic

Cheap pedal alert: Mosky XP booster. Modelled on the Xotic EP, I think. Blues Cube loves it. Adds a lovely, vintage sheen for almost no money.

DaphneBlue likes this.
  2. Groovedigger

Groovedigger TDPRI Member

A friend was bringing a new amp to practice and i have a lot of choices of which to bring so I brought the BCA last week (NY tone capsule). I set it at 0.5 W and plugged straight into the low input. I turned the channel volume all the way. Held up real well against the other amp 35 w two-rock studio. The friend kept saying my amp was loud. My tone was great and everyone said this is the one to bring. FYI , I recently installed the Greg Kock tele pickups from fishman and it cleans up real nice using the guitar volume and no real loss in tone.

DaphneBlue likes this.
  3. Andy44

Andy44 TDPRI Member

New to the forum and joining this thread as a Blues Cube fan boy.

I have a Blues Cube Artist 1 x 12. I will never sell it.

I also have the New York Blues Tone Cap, the Ultimate Blues Tone Cap, the Robben Ford Tone Cap and the Eric Johnson Tone Cap. I love them all for very different reasons.

I've also got the GA-FC footswitch which makes things easier.

A good friend of mine has gigged and recorded (with a mic) with the BC as standard and with the New York Blues Tone Cap. Maybe going to try gigging with the Robben Ford Tone Cap this weekend.

This bad boy takes pedals through the front easy and pedals or digital multi-effects through the EFX port at the back.

I haven't acquired the sparkle clean tone cap as its not my thing.

I also haven't tried recording with the USB port as yet but I'll get around to it.

Happy days

DaphneBlue and Tony474 like this.
  4. Andy44

Andy44 TDPRI Member

Quick update. Gigged with the Robben Ford Tone Cap last night and the night before. The other guitarist has a Blues Jnr so the stock sound of the BC kind of gets hidden a bit as it compresses quite quickly. We've found that the Robben Ford Cap and the New York Cap hold up quite well with the Blues Jnr as the mids push a bit more

DaphneBlue likes this.
  5. DaphneBlue

DaphneBlue Tele-Meister

Still playing the blues cube hot live since 2016.
    Still having people asking why it sounds good. Which pedal, which guitar, which mic, which tube...
    Well.
    One guitarist. One amp that suits the guirarist.

YEAH!

markal and Tony474 like this.
  6. Grateful Ape

Grateful Ape Tele-Holic

Would welcome thoughts about use of the DI into FOH. Adequate? Or better mic'd?

DaphneBlue likes this.
  7. DaphneBlue

DaphneBlue Tele-Meister

If I'm not wrong the line out has no integrated cab sim, right?
    I tried to use it while recording the amp. I wasn't super happy with the result. It sounded flat to my ears. I obtained better results with a sm57 in front of it.
    By the way when I play it live it is mic'ed most of the time with a e609

8. Grateful Ape

Grateful Ape Tele-Holic

That's the 2.5" jack, right?

DaphneBlue likes this.
  9. DaphneBlue

DaphneBlue Tele-Meister

I don't have a 2.5" on mine. I have a line out and a "phones" out. The line out has not cab sim, the phones out has a cab sim I think. I tried both but wasn't impressed.

10. Grateful Ape

Grateful Ape Tele-Holic

Doh. ;) I meant 0.25".

One of those days..

DaphneBlue likes this.
  11. doolbon

doolbon TDPRI Member

According to Roland's site "Every Blues Cube features a Speaker Emulated LINE OUT..."

DaphneBlue likes this.
  12. DaphneBlue

DaphneBlue Tele-Meister

Thanks for the precision! Well it still didn't convince me. Any happy users here? Tips?

13. markal

markal Tele-Holic

Never tried it. I do use headphones sometimes and I think it sounds weird, but good enough for my occasional needs (the rare occasion I want to practice late in the evening after my wife has gone to bed).

DaphneBlue likes this.
  14. lostpick

lostpick Tele-Afflicted

I just scored one for $150...
    only two brass caps left..
    two small tears in the grill cloth and dirty tolex
    I knew in 20 minutes I got to get this
    This dirty stray coming home is going push some other guys out the back door

Any ideas on how to get the knobs squared away do you have to buy the whole knob or can you get the brass caps?

Tony474 and DaphneBlue like this.
  15. Tony474

Tony474 Poster Extraordinaire

Happy new old amp!

Regarding the knobs, I don't think the brass inserts are available separately. Whole knobs probably and, even if they still have any in stock, Roland will charge an arm, a leg and your firstborn child for a set of them. So the options include getting hold of other knobs that will fit the 6mm pot shafts, putting up with the existing knobs as they are or doing what was suggested early on in this thread. That consisted of using gold paint to fill in the tops of the knobs to achieve a more or less satisfactory match in appearance.

The grille cloth is less of a problem, as the grille frame is detachable and a new cloth can be fitted easily enough. I bought a piece of appropriate material and had a local upholsterer do mine as I didn't want to risk it myself. Unfortunately he got it wrong and installed the cloth with the "stripes' running vertically instead of horizontally. He was very apologetic and halved the price for his work, but once in place it doesn't actually look too bad.

Best of luck getting it sorted out. I'm sure you'll agree that the sounds are worth it.

soulman969 likes this.
  16. lostpick

lostpick Tele-Afflicted

thanks tony

I think the gold paint in the switch tops is going to be the answer but I might use several coats of nail polish

Your cannabis Rex speaker swap has aroused my interest Because the amp seems to have gobs of treble and midrange And I’m thinking the neutrality of that cannabis Rex might give it a more refined character

I’ve been listening to sound samples of that speaker in this almost an audiophile quality about it

No mid range humps or paper glare

soulman969 and Tony474 like this.
  17. Tony474

That might work well with the knob tops. Actually, it wasn't me who put a Cannabis Rex in my BC60, but our good friend Paul, soulman969, who lives near Denver, Colorado, and who is very happy with it. Mine still has the stock speaker, labelled a Roland V75 but actually made by Eminence and seemingly a version of the GB128, which itself is something of a clone of the Celestion Greenback. I have no complaints about the sound of that. In fact, with just the possible exception of my very expensive Carr Rambler, for the clean or cleanish sounds that I favour my original 1990s Blues Cube is the best-sounding amp of any technology that I've ever owned.

One of the positive things I've found about the BC60 is that the Presence control is very effective and can make a big difference to the overall tonality. I assume you've read about the effects-loop patch trick, which can provide a small but noticeable boost in output level and thus clean headroom.

By the way, I don't know whether your example came with the manual, but if you need it I have it as a PDF as well as the original paper version. If you like I could e-mail it to you. I also have Roland's Service Notes, containing parts lists and circuit diagrams (schematics), which I've found useful once or twice.

soulman969 likes this.
  18. soulman969

soulman969 Telefied Ad Free Member

Someone using my name in vain? LOL Hello Tony old friend. How are things in the Empire?

Haven't posted in a bit so I thought I'd check in to see if I could get into some mischief or by accident help someone out. Guess it'll be the latter then. :D

To lostpick: The entire knob is all that can be purchased and here is one of the few sources I'm aware of.

https://www.fullcompass.com/prod/219282-roland-04344212-knob-for-kc-series-bc-30-and-bc-60.

[​IMG] $4.60 each. Pricey but for awhile they were asking over $6 each for them.

When my used BC60 arrived from GC among the other issues the speaker cone had been punctured. (Long story there already told) Roland wanted something like $260 for an OEM replacement but Tony correctly identified Eminence as it's mfg so I spoke with their manager of product design Tom James about the nearest stock replacement and as Tony indicated their GB128 was it.

Since the stock speaker seemed a bit too icy and shrill for my ears I asked Tom about a potential substitute and he recommended the CRex and that's what I used. I can honestly say that it's worked out well for me and has been in the amp ever since. Like the GB128 it's also a very efficient speaker so you won't experience any volume loss from a swap but you should find it smoother tonally.

I too had to replace the grill cloth which was also punctured. That I got from Tubes and More in AZ but I'm sure other parts suppliers have it as well. The Oxblood was the closest to the stock grill cloth I could find. https://www.tubesandmore.com/products/grill_cloth_tolex_piping?filters=Color/Style=Oxblood

These are terrific sounding extremely dependable old war horses and $150 for one in good working order save a few cosmetic issues is a bargain IMHO. There are 3 listed on Reverb ranging from $300-$450 + shipping for the 1x12 and $500 + shipping for a 3x10 version. Good luck with your refurb lostpick.

BB and Tony474 like this.
  19. soulman969

soulman969 Telefied Ad Free Member

That was my solution as well although I may finally decide to contact Full Compass to see if I might get a discount for a quantity of them. Given that I got my amp given to me free by GC so I could repair it myself rather than offer to repair it for me I don't mind spending a few bucks to restore the control knobs too.

I consider it an heirloom amp I plan to never sell. IMHO it should eventually have it's own place among classic amps.

FWIW my perception of the CRex in a BC60 concurs with yours. It's very even and smooth across the entire tonal spectrum. I also have a good buddy who bought a limited issue Fender Princeton with a CRex. We often jam and his Princeton his also a gorgeous sounding amp.

Tony474 likes this.
  20. Tony474

I was a bit lucky. I managed to buy a complete set of 14 knobs from Roland UK for a less than outrageous price. I don’t recall now exactly how much I paid, but it was a lot less than the silly money that seems to be demanded in the USA at present. If memory serves mine were about the last ones they had, so I think they knocked them out to me as a job lot. Most of the old ones still had their inserts intact, though a bit tarnished. Nevertheless I still have them as spares if ever required.

soulman969 likes this.
IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.