Asher Guitars WD Music Products Amplified Parts Mod Kits DIY Nordstarnd Pickups Warmoth.com
Asher Guitars WD Music Products Amplified Parts Mod Kits DIY Nordstarnd Pickups Warmoth.com
Join TDPRI Today

Roland Blues Cube Fan Club

Discussion in 'Amp Owners Clubs' started by fatherjones, Mar 26, 2008.

1. Tony474

Tony474 Poster Extraordinaire

Apr 16, 2007
    North Bushey, England.
    Nothing wrong with the BC-60's reverb as far as I'm concerned. Nothing extraordinary either – just a good regular short-tank spring reverb. I have other amps that'll really drench the sound in reverb if it's turned up enough, but that's not what I require.

musicroom likes this.

2. DaphneBlue

DaphneBlue TDPRI Member

Jul 22, 2017
    Switzerland
    I've never tried the reverb on a bc-60. On the blues cube hot it sounds like a spring reverb from 0 to 12 o'clock (though at 10 it starts to be something else) and then it moves to something very modern, deep and infinite. Is it like this on the bc-60?

3. Tony474

Apr 16, 2007
    North Bushey, England.
    Not really. On the BC it's a good old analogue spring line and sounds like one – which isn't a bad thing at all.

DaphneBlue and musicroom like this.

4. Forum Sponsor Sponsored posting

5. musicroom

musicroom TDPRI Member

Dec 11, 2014
    IN

I agree - no need to add a pedal for my use. I played Fender Vibrolux today - the reverb was lush at first, but then I started to notice the long tail which made me appreciate the BC-60 reverb more.

6. Tony474

Apr 16, 2007
    North Bushey, England.
    Lack of the "long tail" may have been a deliberate design decision. Accutronics reverb tanks are available with short, medium or long decay times and the one specified for the BC-60 is a medium (1.75 to 3 seconds). It's indicated by the fourth character in the product code: A=short, B=medium, C=long (2.75 to 4 seconds). BTW, replacement tanks from Roland cost all four limbs and a kidney too, while the exact original type isn't readily available. But a very close match is and seems to work fine at a reasonable cost.

musicroom likes this.

7. musicroom

musicroom TDPRI Member

Dec 11, 2014
    IN
    Update for selecting effects for the BC-60; instead of reworking and adding several effects to my pedal board, I decided to order a TC Electronic Nova. For what I need, I think / hope this will be the end of that pedal madness search. Plan to use it in stomp box mode if it truly has stellar effects like I've read on forums and heard from watching a bunch of videos. But I guess I'll find that out next week. Thanks for all the discussion - it helped me narrow the search.

8. DaphneBlue

DaphneBlue TDPRI Member

Jul 22, 2017
    Switzerland
    Cool! Keep us posted on the results! Looking forward!

musicroom likes this.

9. musicroom

musicroom TDPRI Member

Dec 11, 2014
    IN
    Thanks! I will! I'm thinking this will make a great efx center piece for the BC-60.

DaphneBlue likes this.

10. DaphneBlue

DaphneBlue TDPRI Member

Jul 22, 2017
    Switzerland
    Ok folks! I go on with my experience of the blues cube hot. Today for a gig my guitarist swapped it for a fender champ silverface from the 60s. I love that amp and so she does.

The amp was perfect but not powerful enough. It was really interesting here cause I asked her a few questions (she doesn't give a **** about ss or tubes, she just wants her sound). She said it was like the bc hot in terms of cleans and chimes but that it sounded much better than her Blues Jr. She prefers the low end on the bc hot, too.

Cool experience as I didn't try to guide her but I just asked questions to someone who doesn't give a **** 'bout ss or valves!

markal likes this.

11. Grateful Ape

Grateful Ape Tele-Meister

Mar 16, 2013
    UK
    My one criticism of the BCA is the reverb, funnily enough. It just doesn't sound as good as the reverb tank on the old ones, to me.

DaphneBlue likes this.

12. Hexabuzz

Hexabuzz Tele-Afflicted

Dec 13, 2014
    Northeast PA
    Probably because it's not a real spring reverb!

Actually, I have a BCA 212, and 2 BC60's (a 1 x 12, and a 3 x 10), and the reverb character is completely different. Not better or worse, just different.

But it's apples and oranges - I don't think they were really going for a full blown spring sound on the BCA, but rather something more natural, with more of a studio/live quality to it.

DaphneBlue likes this.

13. markal

markal Tele-Meister

Mar 24, 2016
    Colorado
    I like the reverb on my BCA just fine. But I'm shopping for a reverb pedal because I like reverb and want some different sounds. The BCA reverb can get pretty dreamy but it doesn't have that spring reverb drip.

DaphneBlue likes this.

14. Hexabuzz

Hexabuzz Tele-Afflicted

Dec 13, 2014
    Northeast PA
    That's why I have this, lol - nothing like real springs!

[​IMG]

I also just added a Catalinbread Talisman for that great studio plate reverb sound

DaphneBlue and Grateful Ape like this.

15. DaphneBlue

DaphneBlue TDPRI Member

Jul 22, 2017
    Switzerland
    Oh yeah you can't go wrong with this! :D

I used a ehx cathedral with my blues cube hot but now I just use the stock reverb. It's not sounding as any reverb I know, though, and I'm often wonderin' on what type of reverb it is based. Could it be based on a boss pedal such as the digital reverb? what do you think guys?

16. Grateful Ape

Grateful Ape Tele-Meister

Mar 16, 2013
    UK
    Today, got to compare my BCA against a Carr Rambler, an RD amp (custom UK amp) and a DV micro 50.

The DV would be a great backup, but I wouldn't be happy with it as my main.amp.

The RD was, to my mind, the best. Full, clear, punchy, detailed. The Rambler was pretty great, too - just not as harmonically alive as the RD.

The BCA held its own. I mean, you could tell the boutique amps apart, but they weren't 3-4 times better.

I also felt the BCA took pedals the best.

DaphneBlue likes this.

17. Gene O.

Gene O. Tele-Meister

Sep 20, 2015
    Canton, Ohio
    Just picked up a BC Artist that a friend decided to sell. I've used it on an outdoor gig, and have taken it to a couple band rehearsals. I'm not picky, and could use just about anything. I think it sounds fine, both with a Tele or a Strat.

DaphneBlue and Tony474 like this.

18. Groovedigger

Groovedigger TDPRI Member

Nov 23, 2016
    Los Angeles
    I take it you have the BC60 --no switchable boost- but if you leave the boost on and clean up the amp using the volume pot on the guitar it will basically do the same thing. My BC60 still has the instruction manual with tone setting diagrams and I like the BC60 a lot using their settings Rock Blues PreVol=8-9 PostVol=6-7 Bass=8-9 Middle=8-9 Treble =6.5-7.5 Tube Rect=on Presence =8-9. The Normal Channel setting for Traditional Blues is Crunch=1 Vol=5-6 Bass=6-7 Middle=9-10 Treble =809 I find those settings give me a nice volume level and right amount of boost for lead. I actually use the country settings for Rhythm too Crunch=Normal Vol=4.5-6 Bass=6-7 Middle=7-8 Treble =8-9

19. Hexabuzz

Hexabuzz Tele-Afflicted

Dec 13, 2014
    Northeast PA
    Groovedigger likes this.

IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.