Asher Guitars WD Music Products Amplified Parts Mod Kits DIY Nordstarnd Pickups Warmoth.com Reiland Pickups
Asher Guitars WD Music Products Amplified Parts Mod Kits DIY Nordstarnd Pickups Warmoth.com Reilander Pickups
Asher Guitars WD Music Products Amplified Parts Mod Kits DIY Nordstarnd Pickups Warmoth.com Reilander Pickups
Join TDPRI Today

Rocked the Hamer Standard (explorer) at rehearsal last night

Discussion in 'Other Guitars, other instruments' started by blowtorch, Feb 21, 2012.

1. blowtorch

blowtorch Doctor of Teleocity

May 2, 2003
    Wisco
    and the downward edge of my right forearm is sore from banging into the edge of the body.

Lots of fun, it's the most I've used the guitar since I got it a couple years back

2. blowtorch

May 2, 2003
    Wisco
    Chime in with your Hamer love, or explorer love!

3. RevMike

RevMike Friend of Leo's

Jul 15, 2004
    Raleigh, NC
    Never owned a Hamer or Explorer, but think both are cool. I owned a firebird for a bit, but found the shape awkward. I'm afraid to try an explorer for the same reason. I think if I ever got another non traditional Gibby type it'd be a V. At least you can lean it up against your amp.

4. Forum Sponsor Sponsored posting

5. badform

badform Tele-Meister

Nov 14, 2007
    B'more
    Is the Hamer bound? Does it have 'sharper' edges than the Gibson?

I don't remember having that problem with my Explorer, but I have had it with LP customs and even my telecaster with more (ahem!) aggressive playing.

6. Jakedog

Jakedog Doctor of Teleocity

Mar 26, 2003
    The North Coast
    Explorers are MUCH better balanced and lots more comfy than Firebirds. That said, V's are quite possibly the most well balanced and comfy guitar ever designed. As long as you're standing up to play. Sitting down, well let's just say there are better guitars for that.

Hamer Standards rock. I miss my Hamer Studio a ton. And my Sunburst.

7. badform

badform Tele-Meister

Nov 14, 2007
    B'more
    Here's my Explorer of unknown origin. It's not a gibson, almost certainly MIJ, and very old.

[​IMG]

When I got it, someone had put a giant gold harmonica bridge on it, and it had single coils in 'bucker covers. Now it's sporting mid '70s era Ibanez 'buckers and an ABR-1. Much better. LOVE it.

And someday, I'll make this real...

[​IMG]

8. gitold

gitold Friend of Leo's

Mar 25, 2009
    Denver Co.
    Here's what you have to do with a Explorer or a Firebird...Wear the strap like this and the awkwardness goes away

Attached Files:

9. Jakedog

Jakedog Doctor of Teleocity

Mar 26, 2003
    The North Coast
    Lucky! I wish I had a chair that could play guitar...

10. blowtorch

May 2, 2003
    Wisco
    Yes, it's bound. I've not played a Gibson Explorer, so I couldn't say.

11. e-merlin

e-merlin Doctor of Teleocity

Jan 13, 2004
    Garden City, KS
    I've never had an Explorer-type guitar, but I've always wanted one.

12. Nick JD

Nick JD Doctor of Teleocity

Mine's a parts bin and hardware store mongrel. Under 5lbs too - so comfortable to play standing up. It's all Victorian Ash (eucalyptus) with an IRW fretboard and Ibanez RG pickups.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

13. SnidelyWhiplash

SnidelyWhiplash Tele-Afflicted

Jun 18, 2009
    Hogtown,KY.
    I remember as a kid seein' Rick Nielsen's Hamer Stand. inside the gatefold cover
    of Live At Budokan. I bought one around 2001. I loved the guitar,but i looked
    ridiculous. A fat middle aged white man shouldn't be seen out in public with
    such an instrument. ;)

14. slashbinger

slashbinger TDPRI Member

Feb 24, 2010
    Cologne
    Leslie West?

15. 73Fender

73Fender Friend of Leo's

Feb 28, 2010
    Jersey Shore
    I had never had a P90 guitar or Hamer and had intrest in both. Got this USA 1993 Special. Minty, A bass player on the Hamer Fan Club site had owned it for years. It spent most of the time under his bed. This is considered the entry level Hamer, I was shocked by the build quality. I hear lots of guys say that a USA Hamer is one of the only guitars they are comfortable with buying without trying out in person. Used Hamers also fly under the radar for what they are. I recommend the USA models.

Here is my made in Chicago bit of goodness..
    [​IMG]

IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.