Asher Guitars WD Music Products Amplified Parts Mod Kits DIY Nordstarnd Pickups Warmoth.com
Asher Guitars WD Music Products Amplified Parts Mod Kits DIY Nordstarnd Pickups Warmoth.com

Rockaudio: Anyone here actually done a build using their bodies?

Discussion in 'Other T-Types and Partscasters' started by Hack, Oct 26, 2014.

1. sizzlemeister

sizzlemeister TDPRI Member

Apr 8, 2010
    Sirius B
    Yeah, that would be the right thing to do. But, they still need to explain the crappy p/u routing and why they felt yellow streaks were acceptable in the paint job.

2. Michael A.

Michael A. Tele-Holic Ad Free Member

Jan 12, 2013
    Virginia Beach, VA
    Maybe Rock Audio is responding to beachgod's last posting by PM, but otherwise, the focus on customer service seems as spotty as beachgod described in his original complaint, linked to in his post. RA is on this forum and others trying to solicit guitar owners' input about ways to encourage guitar building, presumably with their components. That would imply trying to give the best possible impression of what the customer service and products may be like when one does order. However, beachgod's complaint about lack of response seems to have been left hanging, even when the RA representative is expressing concern and wanting to make amends. Most puzzling!

I've owned a small business for 40 years, and I don't think RA is doing themselves any favor with the way this is being handled.

3. kyussvegas

kyussvegas Tele-Holic

Jul 26, 2014
    Canton, MA
    I think this is the reality of low cost, low margin businesses like RA. My best guess is they simply don't have the bandwidth and people to handle these issues as well as we'd all hope.

At the same time they are a low cost business and you should never expect high customer service for dirt cheap. Those companies are getting rarer.

4. Telemarx

Telemarx TDPRI Member

Mar 6, 2015
    south africa
    Weird. I checked out the complainants original thread on the Amp and Guitar Board and on there he says on the 27th already that Rockaudio apologized to him for the experience and fully refunded him for the shipping charges as well.

And then two days later he's back on here again saying that he thinks that refunding him his shipping would be a step in the right direction :confused: Now English is not my first language by a long way so maybe I'm reading this wrong, but it looks to me like somebody is trying to get in a few blows after the bell here.

I get that we as customers sometimes feel the need to publicly name and shame companies that didn't do right by us, but once it's out there in Internetland, it's out there for good. If your going to use forums to air your grievances, then at least have the decency to go back to those same forums and acknowledge in public if your problems are resolved as well.

5. beachgod

beachgod TDPRI Member

Jul 24, 2015
    FL
    Rockaudio responded to my July 28th post here on tdpri about shipping charges via e-mail and have since refunded it in full. I had the decency to mention it on GAB yesterday, Thu Jul 30, 2015 12:16 pm as that post is clearly dated. I apologize if my response time in posting followups on various forums is not up to everybody's liking but I have a life outside of the internet. I will strive to do better from now on.

6. Andrew-RA

Andrew-RA TDPRI Member

Mar 11, 2014
    Boston
    Hey guys, beachgod and I did square everything away outside of the forums.

As for the body quality, it should not have been sent, after looking into the issue it seems that the order was accidentally swapped on the packing line with a different order that was for a clearance body. Not something I am happy about but it is what it is at this point, and we have done our best to remedy the situation.

It is unfortunate that a small company like us can be squished by the internet from one story, but that is the future of online transparency. As a business man who wants to evolve and as a customer of other online stores myself I can't disagree with it. Complaints may leave a mark since most forum and blog posts really never go away, but hopefully if handled constructively the business can grow to be better.

7. Guitar Jones

Guitar Jones Tele-Meister

Everybody makes mistakes, even businesses. To me it's not that a mistake was made, it's how it's handled afterwards that shows the integrity of the business or person.

8. MickJaggersTele

MickJaggersTele Tele-Meister

Nov 21, 2009
    Pittsburgh, PA
    I had a problem which was documented earlier in this thread regarding the location of the rear control cavity which did not allow the through body controls to be set in the same location as a normal telecaster.

I returned the guitar body and I happily paid for shipping.
    Rockaudio is providing a true service to DIY guitar building community, where you can purchase a great guitar body at a great price, without having to pay $500.00 such as you would do at the great, northwestern, "Mothman Guitar Co."

Rockaudio promptly refunded my money to PayPal on two occasions, once when I purchased a guitar body that turned out to be not in stock, and now this second time, when I did not like the rear routing position.
    In my opinion, Rockaudio is working hard to get it right, and when you are not dealing with the "Mothman" you can expect a little more difficulty in contacting them, etc. That comes with the territory.

So, when there are problems, they should be noted transparently, which will hopefully improve Rockaudio.
    But derogatory comments should be avoided unless you are confident that you are dealing with a less than reputable merchant, which is CERTAINLY NOT THE CASE WITH ROCKAUDIO.

9. pkossek

pkossek TDPRI Member

Aug 7, 2015
    Denmark
    Rockaudio is just fine!

Hi,
    I just finalized a Tele build with a Rockaudio body. It is a clearance item and they were honest about what I should expect. The body absolutely met my expectations and I'm happy with the outcome.

Attached Files:

10. MickJaggersTele

Nov 21, 2009
    Pittsburgh, PA
    Rockaudio - "Tele Plus" - "Nashville" Style Build

TAKE TWO....
    As you may recall, I was going to build a double bound Telecaster that was influenced by Pete Townshend's original single bound, black Schechter Tele from the early 1980's, that was later produced in a double bound version with altered control positions, as shown below.

[​IMG]

I selected the following double bound, black, alder Tele body from RockAudio.com's Custom Series:

[​IMG]

Rockaudio.com is a relatively new guitar parts supply company located outside of Boston that offers relatively low cost Fender style guitar bodies, as well as necks and other guitar parts.

As noted previously, I'm using the neck from a Fender / Heineken promotional Telecaster that I bought a few years ago on eBay.

[​IMG]

The neck has a really cool red star at the 12th fret.

[​IMG]

The neck has the Fender transitional logo, which will work well with this guitar.
    I previously replaced the original bent steel string tree with a modern Fender string tree that is in the reversed position from the normal Fender orientation, due to the placement of the original string tree, relative to the logo.

[​IMG]

A few years ago, at great expense, I bought a Fender Custom Shop, modern style, chromed brass bridge for a future guitar build, that was listed on eBay by the "sub-orbital" guy.
    It is similar to the Fender American Deluxe bridge, with the addition of the curved lip on the end of the bridge, which is a nice finishing design touch.

[​IMG]

As you may recall, the rear routing on the first guitar body was positioned where the Telecaster through body controls could not be placed in the proper Telecaster location and would be 3/8" to 1/2" closer to the side of the guitar.
    So I returned the body to RockAudio and purchased a second double bound alder body, this time with front routing, and routing for a middle Nashville style pickup.

The second body came, again nicely packaged in double boxes with packing paper.

[​IMG]

I initially mocked-up the guitar.

[​IMG]

During the mock-up, I placed two pins in the two outside string holes, extending into the body, and confirmed that the scale length of the guitar was 25.5" long from the bottom of the nut to the approximate contact point on the high "E" string bridge saddle, and that the bridge pickup routing, and drilled string holes, are in the proper location.

[​IMG]

Nice job again, RockAudio!! (I have no affiliation with RockAudio.com)

11. MickJaggersTele

Nov 21, 2009
    Pittsburgh, PA
    Rockaudio - "Tele Plus" - "Nashville" Style Build

After examining the second Rockaudio Tele body, and doing some mockups with the pickups, I realized that a little wood work would need to be performed on the body.
    This is normal, especially when you are purchasing an economy guitar body.
    To make the necessary changes, I bought a 5/8" forstner drill bit.

[​IMG]

I also bought a 1' long, 5/16" drill bit.

[​IMG]

The Tele body was originally drilled to allow the neck and middle pickup wires to run into the bridge pickup routing cavity.
    However, no hole was drilled from the bridge pickup routing cavity to the control cavity, which had to be drilled.

[​IMG]

The small hole at the bottom of the control cavity, which leads to the 7/8" output jack cavity, will eventually be enlarged.

[​IMG]

I also opened up the opening of the hole that was drilled in the Bridge pickup cavity to the control cavity, so that the wires from the middle and bridge pickups, as well as the copper shielding ground wire could lie flat on the floor of the bridge pickup cavity, before exiting into the control cavity, due to the tight fit of the bridge pickup in the bridge pickup cavity.

[​IMG]

After mocking up the bridge pickup, I decided that I did not want to run the neck wires into the bridge routing, due to the tight fit of the bridge pickup into the bridge pickup routing cavity.
    So I decided to drill a hole from the neck pickup cavity to the control cavity for the neck pickup wires.

[​IMG]

I am using the now discontinued, Fender Samarium Cobalt Noiseless (SCN) Telecaster pickups, designed by Fender in conjunction with Bill Lawrence, in the neck and bridge positions, which utilize rare earth Samarium Cobalt magnets in a stacked humbucker configuration.
    I love these Telecaster pickups and managed to buy a couple sets at close out prices a couple years ago when they were discontinued.

To match the old Fender "Tele Plus" chrome covered middle pickup, I am using a Lace Chrome Dome, Stratocaster pickup, that was ordered with reversed winding (for 60 cycle hum reduction), which is probably unnecessary due to the use of noiseless (stacked humbucker) pickups in the neck and bridge positions.
    However, when I mocked up the Lace chrome dome pickup with the middle pickup routing cavity, it would not fit into the middle routing cavity.

[​IMG]

Both the neck and middle pickup cavities measure the same at 8.2 centimeters.
    This is a problem that Rockaudio should strive to correct, especially in rear routed, Nashville style guitars, where no pickguard is planned to be used.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Using the 5/8" forstner drill bit, I broadened the Middle Pickup cavity on both ends.

[​IMG]

The body came with a 7/8" output hole for the output jack, which was drilled about 1" into the body, but not all the way to the control cavity, which was connected to the control cavity by a much smaller hole, which was shown earlier.
    This would preclude inserting the output jack into the output hole from the control cavity, requiring the lead wires to be soldered after inserting the output jack into the output hole form the exterior of the guitar.
    For this reason, I chose to extend the 7/8" output hole cavity into the control cavity with the forstner drill bit.

[​IMG]

I then shielded the guitar cavities with copper tape that is advertised as having conductive adhesive.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

I use only two (2) pieces of copper tape in the cavities; one piece for the floor, and one piece for the walls, making sure that the tape on the floor and walls overlap.
    The copper tape is also overlapped onto the face of the guitar body which will be covered by the pickguard and bridge plate.
    The back of the pickguard will also be lined with copper tape to control static electricity, and the overlapping copper tape on the body of the guitar will ground the pickguard and assist with grounding the bridge plate.
    Even though the copper tape is advertised as having conductive adhesive, I still spot solder the overlapping joints in each cavity.

[​IMG]

A ground wire is then soldered into all of the cavities which will ground the copper shielding.

[​IMG]

The copper tape on the floors of the pickup cavities is covered with electrical tape to assure that the pickups will not ground-out.

[​IMG]

At the end of day one of the Tele build, I mocked-up the pickguard with attached pickups, the bridge plate and the control plate.
    I'm hoping that the bridge pickup cavity will prove to be deep enough the accommodate the tall, stacked humbucker, SCN bridge pickup, relative to the strings of the guitar.

[​IMG]

12. MickJaggersTele

Nov 21, 2009
    Pittsburgh, PA
    Great Looking Rockaudio Build!!!

great looking Rockaudio build!!!

13. pkossek

pkossek TDPRI Member

Aug 7, 2015
    Denmark

14. dankilling

dankilling Tele-Afflicted

Oct 28, 2014
    Lehigh Valley, PA
    Any word on their necks? I have some ideas for a build, but don't want to go overboard on the cost of the neck, either.

15. The Hammer

The Hammer TDPRI Member

May 29, 2015
    Texas
    I just shot them a message asking if they could drill a HH Tele body for 2 1/16" string spacing. If they will then I'll be ordering up a body. I was planning on going with Warmoth but these bodies seem to be really nice for the money.

16. Durk

Durk Tele-Meister

Jul 8, 2015
    Leesburg Ga
    I have bought a few necks and all were decent. They didn't require any work that any other off the shelf neck would need.

17. bender66

bender66 Friend of Leo's

Jan 18, 2010
    on my bike
    I was under the impression their stuff was import. My neck is definitely import spec.

18. MickJaggersTele

Nov 21, 2009
    Pittsburgh, PA
    With the bridge pickup attached to the bridge plate, I placed pins in the outside string holes before drilling the bridge.
    This was to assure proper alignment of the string holes in the body with the string holes in the bridge plate.
    I first drilled pilot holes using a small drill bit centered in the holes of the bridge plate.
    I then screwed down the bridge plate.

[​IMG]

I placed copper tape on the back of the pickguard to prevent any static electric "pops" through the amp.

[​IMG]

I then screwed down the pickguard after drilling small pilot holes centered in the screw holes of the pickguard.

[​IMG]

A “Rutters Shallow Twisted Machined Jack Cup” combined with a Switchcraft L11 Jack, which is the longer Switchcraft jack, was used so that a guitar cable with a right angle plug could be used.
    This is always a problem with stock Fender Telecasters.
    The Rutters twisted jack cups is a great jack cup, without need for a spring clip or set screws, even if it is a little bit pricey.
    The jack cup was "persuaded" into the 7/8" side body hole with a rubber mallet.
    I think that you can use a shorter Swithcraft jack with the "Shallow" Rutters jack cup and still use a right angle plug, but the long L11 Swithcraft jack assures this is the case.

[​IMG]

Schaller strap lock buttons were mounted to the top and bottom of the guitar body.

[​IMG]

I next installed the string ferrules into the back holes that were pre-drilled by Rockaudio.
    The ferrules used were from Stewart Mac which I already had from a prior build.
    The StewMac ferrules have the ribs on the shaft of the ferrule, whereas Fender ferrules are smooth.

[​IMG]

I used a pair of needle nose pliers as a "drift" between the ferrule and the hammer to tap the ferrules home.
    Obviously, when I'm not taking a picture, I hold the pliers with my left hand.

[​IMG]

19. MickJaggersTele

Nov 21, 2009
    Pittsburgh, PA
    After bolting on the neck, I strung the low "E" string.
    With the bridge saddle at a very low position, the string was still very high above the neck.

[​IMG]

The neck was on the original Heineken promo guitar until recently, so it was assumed the truss rod setting was adjusted properly.
    Once all the strings are on and in tune, the neck relief will be inspected.
    A single strip of masking tape was used as a shim, placed below the below the bottom screws.

[​IMG]

This is all that it took to correct the geometry of the neck so that the string action would be low with the bridge saddles set at an ideal height, with saddle height varying consistent with the neck radius.

[​IMG]

I set the action by adjusting the bridge saddles first, checking for fret buzz, and then if necessary, I adjust truss rod based on visual examination of the neck relief, the string action, and the feel of the string action, without use of a capo and feeler gauge, which I consider to be unnecessary.

Following stringing the guitar with Elixir Custom Light Nanoweb strings, the High "E" string saddle contact point was set 25.5" from the bottom of the nut, with the other bridge saddles staggered back a millimeter or so; the guitar was tuned and the intonation was then set.
    In this case, no truss rod adjustment was necessary, as the neck relief was almost zero, without any string buzz at any fret, with low action which was about 1/8" (8/64") on the Low "E" string at the 12th fret.

[​IMG]

With the guitar plugged into an amp, the neck and middle pickups were adjusted, relative to the strings, based on the sound of the pickups.
    The bridge pickup is at the lowest position possible (still fairly close to the strings) due to minimal room in the bridge pickup cavity, and the height of the SCN noiseless, stacked humbucker pickup.
    Fortunately the bridge pickup works fine, without my having to rip the pickup out and lower the floor of the bridge pickup cavity, but it would be nice if Rockaudio would deepen the bridge pickup cavity.

So, here's the finished "Tele Plus" >>>

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

The Tele plays great, with the middle, Lace Chrome Dome pickup adding a Strat sound to the neck pickup in switch position 2 and to the bridge pickup in switch position 4.

The mini-toggle, adds the Bridge pickup to the Neck pickup in switch position 1, and the Bridge pickup to the Neck and Middle pickup in switch position 2.

Interestingly, when the Bridge pickup is added to the Neck pickup in switch position 1, the sound of the Bridge pickup is slightly muted, or dulled, losing some treble, from normal combined sound of the Neck and Bridge pickups in switch position 3.

The Bridge pickup also sounds slightly muted when added to the Neck and Middle pickups in by the mini-toggle in switch position 2.
    The slightly muted sound is not undesirable, but it is different from what I had expected.
    I know of no reason for the slightly muted Bridge pickup sound via the mini-toggle, except for a possible increase in electrical resistance by the ON-ON-ON mini-toggle switch.

All in all, I'm very happy with the outcome of this build, and with the very affordable double bound Rockaudio Tele body.

20. The Hammer

The Hammer TDPRI Member

May 29, 2015
    Texas
    @Mick

I really like how that guitar turned out!

IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.