Asher Guitars WD Music Products Amplified Parts Mod Kits DIY Nordstarnd Pickups Warmoth.com
Asher Guitars WD Music Products Amplified Parts Mod Kits DIY Nordstarnd Pickups Warmoth.com

Rockaudio: Anyone here actually done a build using their bodies?

Discussion in 'Other T-Types and Partscasters' started by Hack, Oct 26, 2014.

1. MickJaggersTele

MickJaggersTele Tele-Meister

Nov 21, 2009
    Pittsburgh, PA
    Thanks Hammer!!

I forgot to post this information regarding the electrical wiring on this "Tele Plus / Nashville" build.

I wired up the electronics which includes an Oak Grigsby 5-Way, 2 Pole Super Switch, 2 CTS 250k Audio-Taper Pots, an ON-ON-ON mini toggle switch, a Switchcraft L11 Jack and an Orange Drop .022µF Capacitor.
    All ground wires are connected to a "ground star," as shown in the picture below, as opposed to being soldered on top of the pot, which is then bound with electrical tape.

[​IMG]

Here is a close-up of the Super Switch wiring.

[​IMG]

Here is a wiring diagram for the "Tele Plus" wiring, which is the same as a Nashville Tele without the optional mini toggle.

[​IMG]

Here is a wiring diagram for the Volume and Tone pots that I used which differs from the above diagram.
    As noted above, all ground wires are connected to a "ground star," as opposed to being soldered on top of the pot.

[​IMG]

Here are some diagrams for the ON-ON-ON and ON-OFF-ON switches.
    I bought both types of switches, but had planned on using the ON-OFF-ON switch.
    Unfortunately, the ON-OFF-ON switch was defective and would not hold either of the ON positions, with the lever springing back to the center OFF position.
    So I used the ON-ON-ON switch, which worked fine.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Last edited: Aug 15, 2015

2. RMJdesigns

RMJdesigns NEW MEMBER!

Sep 27, 2015
    Maryland
    rockaudio bodys

I have bought 2 bodys, the finish was above average, the pickup routing was down right Poor, it was so out of alignment , I had to reroute correctly, and create a custom cover, to cover the issue.

http://www.mediafire.com/view/ia10nk99avf5zan/my builds 002.JPG#

the tele is not a big deal as the pick gaurd covers the issue, but the other build as you see I made a cover to cover how far off the pickups holes were out of alignment, AMAZINGLY BAD!

I wish they would have more unrouted, as I prefer to do this myself - GET IT PERFECT, as they are not even close.

But for the price I payed ..... It was not too bad!

3. cacophony

cacophony Tele-Meister

Feb 22, 2014
    Philippines
    Is the neck on the Ibanez style body a standard 2-3/16" wide? How were you able to get a snug fit on the neck pocket?

4. Odyssey

Odyssey NEW MEMBER!

Nov 30, 2015
    Milwaukee
    I purchased a p bass body from them. STAY AWAY! It was a blemished finish sold as new. They would not respond to phone calls, messages left on their answering machine, or emails. No answer on either sales dept or service dept greeting options.
    Appear to be selling manufacturing defects/scrap and taking the money and running.

5. Adjil

Adjil TDPRI Member

Jan 23, 2016
    Des Plaines, IL
    I just bought one of their cherryburst mahogany strat. The routing, neck pocket, and bridge holes are precise, fender neck will fit perfectly and the holes lined up, but they sent me a body with a binding. It's not on their description/specs, and I don't like it looks cheap. The finish on the body is ok, not impressive, with some minor imperfections. I compared it with my sunburst Agile 2000 because it is also a burst finish, and the Agile has a nicer and smoother finish. It looks like they get their finished bodies from China wholesale and do the routing here in U.S. I bought good quality parts and some genuine fender parts for my build because I wanted to build my ultimate guitar just once but the body finish and binding looks cheap. Next time I will just get a warmoth, or USACG.

6. Adjil

Adjil TDPRI Member

Jan 23, 2016
    Des Plaines, IL
    Rockaudio bodies review

I just bought one of their cherryburst mahogany strat. The routing, neck pocket, and bridge holes are precise, fender neck will fit perfectly and the holes lined up, but they sent me a body with a binding. It's not on their description/specs, and I don't like it looks cheap. The finish on the body is ok, not impressive, with some minor imperfections. I compared it with my sunburst Agile 2000 because it is also a burst finish, and the Agile has a nicer and smoother finish. It looks like they get their finished bodies from China wholesale and do the routing here in U.S. I bought good quality parts and some genuine fender parts for my build because I wanted to build my ultimate guitar just once but the body finish and binding looks cheap. Next time I will just get a warmoth, or USACG.

Last edited: Jan 23, 2016

7. Adjil

Adjil TDPRI Member

Jan 23, 2016
    Des Plaines, IL
    Rockaudio guitar body reviews

These are pieces of garbage. Don't gamble on these pieces of garbage. It is so hard to return them if there is a problem. I realized my st body had a lot of problems when I was gonna put them together, even an experienced luthier will have a headache 1) the neck pocket is routed too deep, so when you put your 22 fret strat neck, the overhang will be resting on top of the pickguard so there will be a big gap between the neck pocket and the bottom of the neck. 2) the hardtail bridge that they routed for me was off centered, if you put the bridge and put strings on it the low E string would be off the fretboard. They cant locate the center of the guitar, unbelievable.3) they sent me a ST body with a binding which doesn't say on their website. So it is hard to gamble on this bodies. The only way to make use of my guitar body is either to re- route them for a tremolo or floyd rose to remove the off centered bridge holes they made. So save for a warmoth, WD, or USACG

8. MrYeats

MrYeats TDPRI Member

Jan 27, 2016
    Texas Coast
    This is a rockaudio I got on ebay. It was bare when I got it for around $50. It is mahogany with a spalted maple top.

Attached Files:

9. MickJaggersTele

MickJaggersTele Tele-Meister

Nov 21, 2009
    Pittsburgh, PA
    I agree.
    These bodies are not straight bolt up guitar bodies.
    But they are about 1/4 the cost of a similar Warmouth body.
    Some of the following changes to the body, I previously posted, but a total review of just the body modifications is in order, to advise anyone considering a RockAudio body, what they can expect.

The Tele body was originally drilled to allow the neck and middle pickup wires to run into the bridge pickup routing cavity.
    However, no hole was drilled from the bridge pickup routing cavity to the control cavity, which had to be drilled.

[​IMG]

The small hole at the bottom of the control cavity, which leads to the 7/8" output jack cavity, will eventually be enlarged.

[​IMG]

I also opened up the opening of the hole that was drilled in the Bridge pickup cavity to the control cavity, so that the wires from the middle and bridge pickups, as well as the copper shielding ground wire could lie flat on the floor of the bridge pickup cavity, before exiting into the control cavity, due to the tight fit of the bridge pickup in the bridge pickup cavity.

[​IMG]

After mocking up the bridge pickup, I decided that I did not want to run the neck wires into the bridge routing, due to the tight fit of the bridge pickup into the bridge pickup routing cavity.
    So I decided to drill a hole from the neck pickup cavity to the control cavity for the neck pickup wires.

[​IMG]

I am using the now discontinued, Fender Samarium Cobalt Noiseless (SCN) Telecaster pickups.
    To match the old Fender "Tele Plus" chrome covered middle pickup, I used a Lace Chrome Dome, Stratocaster pickup.
    When I mocked up the Lace chrome dome pickup with the middle pickup routing cavity, it would not fit into the middle routing cavity of the RockAudio body.

[​IMG]

Both the neck and middle pickup cavities measure the same at 8.2 centimeters.
    The "Nashville style" body came with two Telecaster sized neck pickup cavities, which would not accommodate a Stratocaster size pickup in the middle position, as is normally used in "Nashville style" Teles.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Using the 5/8" forstner drill bit, I broadened the Middle Pickup cavity on both ends.

[​IMG]

The body came with a 7/8" output hole for the output jack, which was drilled about 1" into the body, but not all the way to the control cavity, which was connected to the control cavity by a much smaller hole, which was shown earlier.
    This precluded inserting the output jack into the output hole from the control cavity, requiring the lead wires to be soldered after inserting the output jack into the output hole form the exterior of the guitar.

[​IMG]

I extended the 7/8" output hole cavity into the control cavity with the forstner drill bit.
    At the end of day one of the Tele build, I mocked-up the pickguard with attached pickups, the bridge plate and the control plate.
    I was hoping that the bridge pickup cavity will prove to be deep enough the accommodate the tall, stacked humbucker, SCN bridge pickup, relative to the strings of the guitar.

[​IMG]

Shielding and wiring of the guitar was illustrated previously in this thread.

After the build was complete, the more I played this guitar and attempted to fine tune its adjustments, the more I became convinced that further modifications were necessary.

My initial fear was realized, that the bridge pickup cavity was not deep enough to accommodate the SCN bridge pickup, in order to provide adequate string clearance for the proper sound quality of the pickup, forcing me to disassemble the guitar, lower the bridge pickup floor, and re-shield the bridge pickup cavity.

So I ripped the guitar apart and lowered the bridge pickup floor using the forstner drill bit and some hand gouging, and then re-shielded the bridge pickup cavity.
    No pictures were taken of this process, which lowered the bridge pickup in the bridge pickup cavity.

After reassembling the guitar, I still was having some sting height to pickup issues and difficulty getting the proper action with clean results at each fret.
    I compared the height of the side neck fret markers to the pickguard of the double bound Tele with those on a new MIM Telecaster at a local shop, which is pictured below.

[​IMG]

In comparison, the fret marker at the 21st fret to the pickguard on the RockAudio body, was almost covered by the pickguard.
    At that point I knew that the neck pocket was a little too deep in the RockAudio body, and the neck would need further shimming to bring the neck up in the neck pocket.
    As noted in a prior post in this thread, if you are using a 22 fret neck with an "overhang," this problem will be more evident and problematic, and it will require a more exact shimming in the neck pocket.

I decided that the best way to shim the neck pocket would be to use copper tape and completely cover the neck pocket with multiple pieces.
    While I have used strips of masking tape above the top neck screw holes on the neck to correct the geometry of the neck, as shown previously in this thread, I chose to use copper tape due to the thickness of the numerous strips of tape that would be needed, as I was concerned about possible deflection and movement of the neck if masking tape were used for this purpose.
    In all, I used 16 pieces of copper tape as shown below, and could probably used at least 20 pieces, but this process of shimming was so tedious, that 16 was all I could deal with at the time, and has proven to be adequate for my 21 fret neck.

[​IMG]

This brought the neck up to the level shown by the fret marker at the 21st fret, relative to the pickguard.

[​IMG]

Here is a view of the amount of copper tape used to raise the neck.
    I haven't decided whether or not to touch-up the copper with a black Magic Marker.

[​IMG]

After setting up the guitar again, I think that I have alleviated all of the subtle problems that I found after the completed build, and I am happy at this point with the setup and pickup height.
    While I had the guitar apart, I decided to replace the black pickguard that I had originally used with a Fender white pearl pickguard.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Even with the difficulties that I encountered with this RockAudio double bound Tele body, which are documented above, I would still recommend RockAudio as a reliable and affordable supplier of Fender style bodies, which if you have patience and note the necessary alterations that I encountered in this project, can produce a really cool result.

The bottom line is that these very affordable RockAudio.com bodies, have a nice finish and appearance, but are not "plug 'n play" and require serious attention to detail and some experimentation to realize a truly playable, quality, guitar.

10. mainepicker

mainepicker TDPRI Member

Feb 2, 2015
    topsham
    uploadfromtaptalk1455664658983.jpg uploadfromtaptalk1455664687968.jpg this purple people eater was done with a rock audio body. No complaints here

11. bdbrown

bdbrown Tele-Meister

Feb 7, 2014
    Sapulpa, OK
    Here is my Mahog Tele....Very happy with Rockaudio

done1.jpg

done2.jpg

Just got a Spalted top Hardtail Strat body from them today...Gotta decide how to finish it

12. Adjil

Adjil TDPRI Member

Jan 23, 2016
    Des Plaines, IL
    rockaudio Bodies

Here is a picture. The bridge holes are off centered. Rockaudio responded and refunded me so I returned this one.

Attached Files:

13. 61fury

61fury Tele-Afflicted

Aug 28, 2009
    knoxville, TN
    Mick, that was a great write up . I like that black/bound/mahogany combination too. Is it sparkle finish or is it just saw dust?
    I say touch up that copper shim

14. ElatedErieLotus

ElatedErieLotus Tele-Meister

Feb 10, 2016
    Wisconsin
    Tomorrow...

I have a body from them being delivered tomorrow. Stay tuned to the forum for a review and build experience.

15. cacophony

cacophony Tele-Meister

Feb 22, 2014
    Philippines
    Finally assembled! I'm surprised that the neck pocket is fine! The Musikraft neck fit perfectly. If ever I get to save up again, I'd definitely take a look at their catalogue. Their Paulownia bodies seem to be calling me.

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

Dimarzio Evo Neck
    Dimarzio Evo 2 Bridge
    Hipshot staggered tuners
    Hipshot hardtail bridge
    Musikraft 2 pc maple neck
    Rockaudio 3 pc Alder body
    Bone nut
    500k Dimarzio pots
    5mm Abalone inlay dots
    Jumbo frets

16. bender66

bender66 Friend of Leo's

Jan 18, 2010
    on my bike
    Here's the Rocaudio V back neck mentioned earlier in the thread. Rough cut headstock & heel slimmed down 1-2 mm to fit into CVC body.
    image.jpg
    Nice tight pocket sans screws.
    image.jpg

Almost ready for tint.
    *cant seem to post more than 2 pics from my phone. At least it's 1 more than the old format site.

17. scotland770

scotland770 NEW MEMBER!

Aug 6, 2016
    Florida
    I have had a horrible time with this company! Just the worst customer service. They never answer their phone or answer voice mail. Ordered a simple switch and it was super cheap. I had sent numerous emails, that they never answered. Simple request if the tip of the switch unscrewed, so I could use my original. No reply. So I took the chance and ordered the switch and the tip is molded to the switch shaft (lame). Sent them another email and about returning the switch and of course no replay! This company (if that's what you want to call them) is just lame and non-professional. Now I'm stuck with a part I cant use and out the funds... Be warned!!!

18. Doug 54

Doug 54 Poster Extraordinaire

Dec 12, 2004
    Ohio
    I suspected those in this thread, all the 'issues'

A yr or 2 ago I emailed them sev x's on Reverb w 2 short questions.
    Never heard until 3 wks ltr.

Red flag big time

19. Divine Thinline

Divine Thinline Tele-Holic

Jan 10, 2015
    Cleveland, OH
    I just don't like how all the painted ones automatically get a big hole drilled right in the center where the neck connects to the body. That's not something that I'd ever wanna have on my custom body & there's just no getting around that. Sure, they probably had to drill the holes so that they could get an even coat with the basic paints that they use but I could still see better ways for doing things there. For example, why not just drill the basic 4 holes in the proper spots or at least drill one of the holes that would/could attach to it all the same instead, right? It's not like a car has to have a huge hole drilled into the middle of it when coating it, so I don't believe a quality guitar should be made that way either. That's all just my thoughts & preferences though. To each his own as far as to what the rest of you like.

Last edited: Aug 9, 2016

20. ElatedErieLotus

ElatedErieLotus Tele-Meister

Feb 10, 2016
    Wisconsin
    I'm a little late to this party, but, I once did a project with one of their guitars and it was so far off spec of any aftermarket fender or fender fitting neck, it took days to get the pocket to sit together, and once it was there, it never intonate quite right. Once I realized how bad it was, and decided it was not worth the price, I wanted to complain, but it was already assembled and there wasn't much they would be able to do. I told myself it was just a fluke (and they told me I was wrong, it wasn't badly cut, even though I measured it with calibers, and compared it to 2 other tele bodies, all three measurements agreeing it was way to shallow) I braved up and ordered another one (they offered me a discount because I wasn't thrilled with the previous purchase) I got that body in the mail, and sure enough the neck pocket was correct, yippee (a whole 1/8th of an inch deeper than the previous body, actually to spec) but then I noticed the bridge routing was about 15 degrees rotated counter clockwise, and that not bridge was ever going to fit it. Luckily, they took a return on it, but my impression is, not worth it. A company with that many errors that different from each other, probably have a tough time of turning out any decent body more than 10% of the time.

IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.