Asher Guitars WD Music Products Amplified Parts Mod Kits DIY Nordstarnd Pickups Warmoth.com
Asher Guitars WD Music Products Amplified Parts Mod Kits DIY Nordstarnd Pickups Warmoth.com

Rockaudio: Anyone here actually done a build using their bodies?

Discussion in 'Other T-Types and Partscasters' started by Hack, Oct 26, 2014.

1. Hack

Hack Tele-Meister

Oct 14, 2009
    Somewhere, Oregon
    Hey guys -

Came across Rockaudio a little while ago, asked a couple questions, and so far Im real impressed with what I see and what I've heard back from them.

http://www.rockaudio.com/

I decided a while ago that I wasn't going to go with GFS. Rockaudio seem like a higher quality alternative.

Has anyone actually had experience with their bodies? Preferably build something using their products?

I'd love to hear your experiences and see a photo or two, if anyone has one.

Thanks

2. hammo123

hammo123 TDPRI Member

Jan 2, 2011
    sydney Australia
    I'm interested to hear any feedback on their Tele bodies as well..
    They have an Ebay store & have received good feedback from people who have purchased bodies from them .http://stores.ebay.com.au/rockaudioinc
    Some of the colours don't look right to me but maybe its just their pics..
    I'm more interested in the unfinished ones anyway & particularly the Tele bodies with the binding .
    [​IMG][/IMG]
    They look pretty good & for the price worth the gamble..Also noting that the Ferrule holes aren't drilled ..
    That can easily turn a nice project into a dog if you don't have a template & drill press
    My only gripe is that I contacted them with a question re:shipping & haven't had a response..It's been almost a week ..

3. bigdog

bigdog Tele-Meister

Mar 19, 2003
    Hotlanta Baby!
    Same here again.Itried GFS's new bodies for my last build and was not impressed with the body( brittle finish, drilling off slightly). Ok for the beater I was building but I want better quality for my next build. I saw the Rock Audio site last week and was wondering about them too.

4. Hack

Hack Tele-Meister

Oct 14, 2009
    Somewhere, Oregon
    "Same here again.Itried GFS's new bodies for my last build and was not impressed with the body( brittle finish, drilling off slightly). Ok for the beater I was building but I want better quality for my next build. I saw the Rock Audio site last week and was wondering about them too."

Exactly why I'm not going with GFS. Seems to me that spending a little more money is really going to be saving me money: I just won't be happy with a guitar that was cheaply and sloppily constructed. I started out looking for an authentic Fender USA body, but prices on those have gone crazy. There are plenty of good aftermaket bodies out there, but finding a good affordable one is a challenge. We'll see about these Rockaudio ones, I guess.

Ironically, I originally started out looking at exactly that body for exactly the same reason...the (for some reason) decided to go with one that was already finished.

"They look pretty good & for the price worth the gamble..Also noting that the Ferrule holes aren't drilled ..That can easily turn a nice project into a dog if you don't have a template & drill press"

This is so true. They do, however offer drilling services for a little extra. I actually see this as a big plus - I'll be putting a Bisby and a Jazzmaster neck on the body I purchase, so the holes will be a little different than standard - I really would rather not have the string ferrul holes there if Im not running a string-through-body neck. I would be nervous about attacking one of these with a hand held drill, though, as you mentioned.

"My only gripe is that I contacted them with a question re:shipping & haven't had a response..It's been almost a week .."

Was that message sent to them through their eBay store? With the questions I've sent I seem to get an answer within 24 hours, but I have contacted them through their website (www.rockaudio.com).

Another thing to note is that they offer free shipping on orders over $75, which I thought was pretty danged cool.

5. Hack

Hack Tele-Meister

Oct 14, 2009
    Somewhere, Oregon

Attached Files:

6. Glen Smith

Glen Smith RIP

Aug 20, 2011
    Canada
    Will it be routed for the Filtertrons or will you have to use pickup rings?

7. PJ55

PJ55 Poster Extraordinaire

Mar 27, 2003
    Philadelphia, PA
    It's also a little tricky drilling the neck mounting holes without a template. I think I'd pass on these bodies. Better off finding a Fender, Squier or Mighty-Mite body for your project. At least you'll know the parts will fit together. I recently used a Mighty-Mite body and it was drilled precisely, in all the required places. The only thing required to drill, is for the bridge mounting. And, that's a pretty simple task.

8. FallsRockShop

FallsRockShop Tele-Holic Vendor Member

Jan 16, 2014
    Cuyahoga Falls, Ohio
    I have a surf green ash Strat body in the shop that I'll be making into a wallet-friendly build. It's my first of their finished bodies. Overall it's excellent for the money, but there are some small imperfections such as very small bubble craters in the clear and some funky lines in the edges (looks to almost be handed radiused?) For a fee they'll drill the neck holes and the string-thru holes in a Tele or the Trem holes in a strat.

Compared with the old stuff from GFS, it's immeasurably better...considering well over half of that was totally unusable for us. I haven't tried their new line yet, so the jury is still out. The color is what I consider surf green, the pickup, neck, control, and tremolo routes are spot on. I checked the box for drilling on this one even though we have all the templates and drill presses to do it ourselves just to see how it was and it lined up perfectly to a Gotoh vintage strat trem. Body was something like $86 shipped with the holes drilled. I would place the overall quality well behind Allparts and WD Music's finished offerings...and slightly behind Mighty Mite, but at a little over half the price of a comparable MM body, you can't really beat it..

I'll post pics when it's complete. I forgot to mention that it's really light for an ash body.

9. Hack

Hack Tele-Meister

Oct 14, 2009
    Somewhere, Oregon
    I wish. No, these come routed for standard size humbuckers, which is a bummer as I just use that kind of sound at all. So, I'm doing some problem solving with this one and coming up with ways to use a Filtertrons instead. I think I have it figured out. I'll detail all this in the build thread...it may work, it may not. If I can't do it in a way that it looks completely clean, I'll have to come up with a plan B, C or D.

I forgot to mention, they offer drilling services. I paid an extra $10 to have them drill the neck holes to Fender specs. I would have done it myself, but this way it's on them to get it right and I can return the body if it isn't. It's worth the $10 for the peace of mind to me.

I am a little anxious about this whole thing, though, so we'll see how it goes.

Also, I sent them an email yesterday about pickgaurds for this body, so lets see how long it takes them to get back to me about it.

10. Hack

Hack Tele-Meister

Oct 14, 2009
    Somewhere, Oregon
    Good info to know. This is the first I've heard about the quality of the newer GFS bodies.

When the Rockaudio body arrives, I'll let you know how it compares.

11. Glen Smith

Glen Smith RIP

Aug 20, 2011
    Canada
    On their website you can send them a message. Maybe if enough people ask for tele bodies routed for Filtertrons, they will eventually get some. I sent my message, now it's your turn.

Maybe we could also pester their rep who is a member here.

12. Boomhauer

Boomhauer Friend of Leo's

Aug 18, 2013
    Michigan
    I'll have one in the works soon (hopefully). Even online, they look less sketchy than GFS's offerings.

13. Glen Smith

Glen Smith RIP

Aug 20, 2011
    Canada
    The binding looks more like a piece of pinstripe tape like on the GFS bodies though.

14. Andrew-RA

Andrew-RA TDPRI Member

Mar 11, 2014
    Boston
    Hey guys, for some reason the title of this thread caught my eye

Very happy to see people talking about our bodies, figured I would chime in and add a few comments.

First off, I apologize for any delays in communication any of you have experienced. We try to answer the phone pretty much around the clock but things have picked up over the last couple weeks here and we are still just a few guys running the operation.

It is definitely tricky to drill the neck holes and bridge/string holes. This is why we like to do them ourselves here in our shop to make sure they are right. Of course if you are capable you have the added benefit of saving a little money and or mounting a different style hardware setup.

Fitment, alignment, and quality control are what we are all about with these bodies. The world doesn’t need any more low quality impossible to fit bodies. We advertise all of our specs and are happy to talk one on one about a project. If it doesn’t fit we will take it back. We want to be a source where people can get an affordable body that is going to work.

As far as routing options for filtertrons and other pickups. Early January, we have a big project lined up and we will be offering pretty much any configuration.

Also the bodies are routed and bound, it is not pinstripe.

Feel free to send me a message anytime or give us a call.

dan cameroneil likes this.

15. spankdplank

spankdplank Tele-Afflicted

Jan 19, 2007
    Houston, Tx.
    Question--the Rockaudio strat bodies do not appear from the photos to have the full depth of the contours as on a an actual Fender strat body. Does anyone know if these bodies have the full, deep contours or if the contours are shallower than vintage Fender specs?

16. JBAudio

JBAudio TDPRI Member

Aug 7, 2012
    Minnesota
    I'm curious about the thickness, website says 1-11/16ths, which seems a bit shallower than Fender specs. Can a full height bridge fit?

17. Hack

Hack Tele-Meister

Oct 14, 2009
    Somewhere, Oregon
    I heard back from the boys at Rockaudio about a day after I sent my email to them with some questions regarding blackguards and so on. I thought that was great. Actually, the person who responded gave me some detailed information about options they had tried at the shop with a couple builds with the kind of body I had ordered and I found that particularly helpful, because, as this body is a Thinline style but with a HH configuration, it tends to limit stock style pickguard options.

They offered to hold onto my order while I decided on how I wanted to proceed - I considered that pretty dang good customer service.

So far so good - now, once I get a Rockaudio body in my hands, we'll see what they have to offer where it really counts!

18. Hack

Hack Tele-Meister

Oct 14, 2009
    Somewhere, Oregon
    Rockaudio has joined the conversation! This is a good thing.

Hey Rockaudio guy, glad to have you join in on this thread! I didn't see your response to this thread until I had already written my last post.

I have a feeling there are a lot of Tele builders out there who are looking forward to seeing a build take place with a Rockaudio body, as a good quality and affordable alternative has been needed for quite some time.

I have been looking for a body for quite sometime and had narrowed it down to several venders out there, but it seemed that I kept coming back to Rockaudio. For my purposes, it appears you guys offer me what I was looking for more than the others.

You mention that there may be additional routing options available in January, and as you may have seen earlier in this thread, I am really more interested in a Filtertron or mini-hum type route than an HH route.

We should probably talk some, as I may need to delay this project for a bit if those options are on the horizon.

I don't build guitars for fun or profit, I build what I need to play music, in a band, getting paid, so this thing is a tool for me - not just something that looks pretty on a stand. I need a solid, rugged, trouble-free and high quality guitar that fits together well, tunes up, plays well, balances well enough I can play it for several sets, and most importantly - sounds fricken' awesome to the audience or in the studio. Of course, I don't mind if it looks good too.

So lets move forward with this....

19. Andrew-RA

Andrew-RA TDPRI Member

Mar 11, 2014
    Boston
    I'm curious about the thickness, website says 1-11/16ths, which seems a bit shallower

The bodies do have the Fender style contours, and the overall thickness of the body is the same. A full size bridge will fit no problem.

Here is a pic of one of our bodies stacked with a USA Strat body (the fender is the body on the top).

[​IMG]

I do have a build thread going on here, which is lacking and I need to get back to. This one is built from our unfinished pieces. You can check that out here - http://www.tdpri.com/forum/tele-home-depot/508777-rockaudio-driftwood-ash-telecaster-build.html

Hack – We will be able to do filtertron setups, we are shooting for early January but it could be as late as early February before it all becomes a reality. Definitely let us know if you want to hold off and wait on the project.

20. Hack

Hack Tele-Meister

Oct 14, 2009
    Somewhere, Oregon
    Thanks for the answers and also the answers you guys have provided me via email, too. I'm going to give you guys a call and talk about routing options. I'm not in a rush for this projects, so it may get put off for a few months given the info you've provided me.

- Hack

IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.