Asher Guitars WD Music Products Amplified Parts Mod Kits DIY Nordstarnd Pickups darrenriley.com
Asher Guitars WD Music Products Amplified Parts Mod Kits DIY Nordstarnd Pickups Warmoth.com
Asher Guitars WD Music Products Amplified Parts Mod Kits DIY Nordstarnd Pickups Warmoth.com

Roadworn 50s Telecaster

Discussion in 'Telecaster Discussion Forum' started by Sean69, Jan 21, 2017.

1. PixMix

PixMix Tele-Holic

Aug 30, 2008
    MI
    I really wound't say so. Many of the older ones, both teles and strats had a poor neck alignment or bridge placement that resulted in the high e string to almost fly out of the fingerboard at the 21st fret. I don't see this problem with the recent roadworn fenders.

The one op linked looks good.

Chicago Matt likes this.

2. ieatlions

ieatlions Tele-Meister

Jul 26, 2013
    Wales, UK
    Cosmetically the older ones are way over done. It's not really an issue for me. Depends how important looks are to you. When I shopped around for a RW I found the older models played better and sounded better! I tried a decent number of RW's and I found this to be consistent. This being said, I don't think i tried one that didnt need a good fret dress/set up. This was true of mine, after the set up it played like butter :)

Chicago Matt likes this.

3. since 1963

since 1963 Tele-Meister

Jan 15, 2017
    004.JPG
    So...a modern guitar made to look like a 50's guitar, with phony wear patterns on it and bad intonation makes it a "fantastic instrument"? Funny.

It doesn't matter what you play, it matters if you can play it well and emote to the crowd.
    I played a blues club once with my Peavey Classic 20. I took the "Peavey" name off the grill (hate the way it looks). After the gig, some people came up, shook my hand and said "only an old Fender could sound like that!". Yeah, right.
    I think I see what is going on here.

As you can see, no "road worn". The Lyle on the right, I bought brand new in 1968.

Last edited: Jan 25, 2017

4. old guitar player

old guitar player Tele-Afflicted

Mar 7, 2007
    the basement
    I don't really have a negative opinion on the Road Worn series other than I agree that the older versions looked fake in terms of the relic job. The newer ones look much better.

That being said I did try out a RW Tele when they first appeared years ago and I really liked how it felt. I didn't plug it in at the time since I know what a tele sounds like. If I really wanted to buy it I would have plugged it in though. I must say that I do like the looks of the current RW 50's strat in black finish.

I currently have two Fender style guitars that I bought used within the last 12 months. One is a 1998 Squier Affinity strat and the other is a Vantek tele copy (my avatar) that apparently was produced 30 years ago. Both these guitars look "aged" and have normal play wear. That is to be expected.

To each his/her own!

Chicago Matt likes this.

5. ekkie

ekkie TDPRI Member

Oct 7, 2017
    the netherlands
    i have a tele 50's roadworn from 2015 and i realy think they should come with a warning, that they are so damn hard to put down!!!!!!!!

Chicago Matt likes this.

6. variantboy

variantboy Tele-Meister

Jul 4, 2008
    U.S.A.
    Well - i've gone on record many times saying how much i like the RW necks. Without going to a custom builder I'm not sure where else someone would find that neck profile with 7.25 radius with 6105 frets, without paying a very pretty penny for the whole guitar. I have a couple builds that i've specifically put these necks on and despite their warts, i really like them. Comfortable, not glossy or sticky... they have a good feel.

With that said - i'm not in total disagreement with what some have said about these models. The relic jobs on earlier models being.. well... a little weird. Large spans of 5 or 6 frets with almost bare finish, and then 3 or 4 frets right next to that with normal finish. Was the relic job supposed to be mimicing something being spilled on the guitar?? Just strange. The later ones look better for sure.

Also, if it's supposed to be a 50s tele - why the tex mex pickups? The neck pickup is super dark, and the bridge pickup being up at 8k despite being more period correct with no baseplate - lacked a bit of signature tele "dimension" and as a result the middle position just was missing something. I think Fender could stock these with a more balanced set (i think 50s were avg N/B 7/7.5 thereabouts) and people would be more happy.

I can not boast having played 50 of them as some can claim... maybe i've played 5 or 6... but yes, the fret edges are 'pokey'.. but not enough to make me ignore the good/rare combination of fret profile and overall neck profile.

the body of the guitar... well... not much to say about it... wasn't bad wasn't great.

However - overall .. for what fender was offering these for - about $799, right? .. it wasn't an altogether bad option if you like the look/feel of a little relicing. I used to disparage the very idea of relicing altogether, but i'm somewhat converted. I just don't get why someone would buy something new that looked like someone had put it in a washing machine - and i swear some relics look like that .... but now that i know the feel/look of a tastefully reliced neck/body... i'm no longer a hater.

bajas and roadworns... good options for the money altogether, imo.

Last edited: Jun 8, 2018

7. telerocker1988

telerocker1988 Tele-Afflicted

May 2, 2010
    Illinois
    I much prefer the older ones. I think the relic job looks great and I've had many people try to buy mine. One guy, who I used to be in a band with, wanted to trade his wife for the guitar! I've also had many people thinking it was an old 52. So the relic job isn't THAT bad on it. I like heavy relics. I even went further with my guitar and reliced it a bit more, added a cigarette burn on the headstock, added some other things to make it look like it had been around.

It's the best Tele I have, and I have several high end ones as well. It's airy, woody, and very acoustic-y. It has a very nice tone and sounds amazing clean or with some overdrive. It never sounds too bright. To me, it's one of a kind. It's from 2009, the first year, btw. It's just a very "organic" sound, honestly. To me, the telltale mark of a great guitar is how it rings unplugged acoustically, and this one rings and even sustains for days. Very light guitar also. Right now it has a Lollar Vintage T in the neck and a Lollar 52 in the bridge. I've had piles of pickups in this thing, just trying to find one that doesn't cover it up.

To me the new ones aren't worn enough. I want 0 finish on the back of the necks of my guitars, and I want a very thin finish so that the wood breathes some. It gives it a bit more of an open sound. I also like Nash guitars for the very same reason. To me less is more when it comes to paint and lacquer.

OldStyleBlues likes this.

8. rze99

rze99 Friend of Leo's Silver Supporter

Feb 26, 2014
    South London UK
    Buy a newer used one.

Put Blackguard, Original Vintage or Nocaster pickups in there.

The newer ones have a more convincing age job. The older ones look terrible, really amateurish.

9. Mad Kiwi

Mad Kiwi Tele-Afflicted

I thought the rule was to use "IMO" when making a discourse BASED ON OPINION!!!

:)

For the record, I think the roadworns are great. If they weren't so bloody expensive here.

Fiesta Red likes this.

10. Bones

Bones Doctor of Teleocity Ad Free Member

Dec 31, 2005
    Luddite Island, NY
    Your answer has nothing to do with the question that was asked. Guys like you always feel the need to vent your relic hate in every thread that mentions road worns or relics, why? Just taking the opportunity to mention that you have "the real thing " one more time?

Fiesta Red likes this.

11. Bones

Dec 31, 2005
    Luddite Island, NY

Yeah, you're acting like you are superior.

12. AndrewG

AndrewG Tele-Afflicted

May 15, 2007
    Exeter, England
    That Lyle, was sold in the UK as 'Commodore'. I had one back in the 60s (my first electric), and I recognised it right away. Cost my dad £38.
    [​IMG]

Last edited: Jun 14, 2018

13. Chicago Matt

Chicago Matt Friend of Leo's

Aug 23, 2014
    Woodstock
    Just one guy's opinion. I started playing electric guitar professionally in the 60's and still do. I've owned a lot of high end guitars over the decades. I picked up my 2016 RW Tele in a small shop a year ago and loved it from the git go. It has everything I look for in a guitar, great playability, construction and sound, and I'm partial to Fender types these days. I especially love the neck on mine (yes, the frets could use a dress and I'll take care of it when I wear it out a little more). I put in compensated saddles and a treble bleed right away - cheap and easy. I've always had to take care of something with any new guitar anyway. I really couldn't care less about the looks. Yeah, I would prefer real vintage blonde, sea foam green, whatever. Oh well, it's not bad as it is. It has turned out to be a great workhorse Telecaster, my favorite. I get an unusual number of compliments on the sound. I'm down to 11 electric guitars. I take 2 to the gig. One of them is the 2016 RW. It's the one out of my others that I can't seem to put down. That's what its all about for me anyway.

At last weekend's gig :):

IMG_8382.JPG

Bones and rze99 like this.

14. Willy-son

Willy-son TDPRI Member

I have a newer one and love it. Very mild relicing. Added aged brass saddles and Seymour Duncan Antiquity neck humbucker. The stock bridge pickup is great. It's now my main guitar. Like any guitar under a grand new it will need a setup when you get it. The finish is fantastic!

Mincer and Chicago Matt like this.

15. Bones

Dec 31, 2005
    Luddite Island, NY
    How many times has anyone come up to you after a gig an accused you of being a poser and perpetrating fake mojo?

I'm guessing zero.

Chicago Matt likes this.

16. dalezjc

dalezjc TDPRI Member

Jun 16, 2017
    Colorado Springs, CO
    Love the Road Worn Tele's

17. Mad Kiwi

Mad Kiwi Tele-Afflicted

Haha, Awesome!

18. Art VanDelay

Art VanDelay Tele-Meister

May 20, 2018
    Arcata
    I almost started a riot on another forum when I sarcastically said I was going to relic my car by cracking a headlight and sanding my hood so it looks oxidized.

19. OldStyleBlues

OldStyleBlues TDPRI Member

Nov 27, 2014
    Chitown
    Once you play one, you’ll get it.

Bones likes this.

IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.