Road Worn 50's or American Special?

Discussion in 'Telecaster Discussion Forum' started by Digiplay, May 13, 2019.

Road Worn 50's or American Special?

1. Road Worn 50's.

44 vote(s)
    63.8%
  2. American Special.

25 vote(s)
    36.2%
  1. rich815

rich815 Friend of Leo's

Yup. And those necks are not easy to find on the market and when they do come up are not cheap. There’s a reason.

savofenno likes this.
  2. Guitarman59

Guitarman59 TDPRI Member

Hey guys got a question just got a used telecaster the neck was replaced with a Fender Genuine Replacement Neck the but I don't know what the body is it kinda looks like a Fender Classic 50s Tele body but I'm not sure here's a picture can you guys give me an idea of what this body might be thanks IMG_20190513_181546638_HDR.jpg

savofenno likes this.
  3. Guitarman59

Guitarman59 TDPRI Member

IMG_20190513_181633290_HDR.jpg

savofenno likes this.
  4. Guitarman59

Guitarman59 TDPRI Member

IMG_20190513_181555754.jpg

savofenno likes this.
  5. Guitarman59

Guitarman59 TDPRI Member

IMG_20190513_181643895.jpg

savofenno likes this.
  6. Digiplay

Digiplay TDPRI Member

Anyone? :)

7. PARCO

PARCO Tele-Meister

It's probably not from anything. You can buy Fender replacement necks from MF or Sweetwater or Stratosphere.

8. Ripradiant

Ripradiant Tele-Afflicted

Don't have a road worn but I have had Mexican teles which were nice but no hesitation in my mind.. an American Special does it for me. And, you can get them in the used market for not a lot.

9. G.Rotten

G.Rotten Tele-Meister

I have been partial to vintage style necks for the majority of my Fender playing days.

I've never liked the Road Worn series at any price. I don't like the idea of "fake mojo" or the way it feels. I'll play a "beat to hell" guitar if it came by the Mojo Marks honestly & is still functional. Personally, I would choose an MIM Standard over a R.W.

Recently, I lucked into a bunch of random Strat parts including an American Special neck. I liked that guitar so much I bought a Legit A.S.

I don't particularly like the stock pickups, but then I never do so that's not really anything against that set. The basic A.S. guitar is possibly the nicest Strat I've ever owned & I've owned much higher up American models in the past.

The Special gets my vote without question. It has made me really question how much I enjoy my MIJ 62 RI Strat in comparison.

Edit. I've never actually played an American Special Tele. I'm assuming it would be similar to the Strat quality & feature wise. But even having never tried an A.S. Tele I still choose it over the R.W. which I've really tried to like many times.

Last edited: May 15, 2019
    Bandboy likes this.
  10. G.Rotten

G.Rotten Tele-Meister

You might get more info if you start a new post.

Have you looked under the pickguard? It kind looks like my MIM Nashville body.

11. Digiplay

Digiplay TDPRI Member

Hi G.Rotten :)

Is your dislike based more on its look, or more on its sound/neck/etc?

12. G.Rotten

G.Rotten Tele-Meister

They look awesome, & can be made to sound good. I don't like the way they feel. By that I mean both the fake distressing & quality. I'm sure they are made fine, but they feel cheap to me. I'd choose probably any other model over a R.W. The model just has no appeal to me. When I see a used one listed as being in exellent condition I giggle to myself a little. How does a pre-distressed guitar ever qualify as being in excellent condition? It's already used when new. I've bought many worn Gibsons (vintage or faded), and I've had Hwy 1's that aged nice & quick, but they still did it naturally, & that can be felt & is welcomed.

Fortunately, there are lots of models for lots of different tastes.

Last edited: May 15, 2019
  13. Digiplay

Digiplay TDPRI Member

That makes sense, but if they can be made to sound good, is that not a good thing?

Regardless, I'm speculating that the appeal of the Road Worn to many (besides you) is because it sounds and plays well, and it looks as close to the real thing that most people (count me in that group, btw) will ever get to a 50's Tele that would cost a LOT, LOT, LOT, LOT, LOT more!

Regardless, how anyone feels about a guitar is truly only important to that person (not how others feel about X guitar that will be yours), and that's what matters at the end of the day :)

rich815 and G.Rotten like this.
  14. RadioFM74

RadioFM74 Tele-Afflicted

Road Worn. I like the “all-vintage” spec better, and the few I tried were consistently very good teles. As many noted, the two are different enough (neck, frets, pickups…) that, if you try them, you should be able to make up your mind fairly easily. And as they are two very common models, it’s not difficult. We look forward to your NGD thread ;)

savofenno likes this.
  15. Bluetelecaster

Bluetelecaster Tele-Meister

I've had my new RW about two weeks now. Best feeling tele I've ever had. The look and feel are awesome. Just a very fun guitar to play.

rich815 likes this.
  16. Digiplay

Digiplay TDPRI Member

Hi Bluetelecaster :)

I think it's great when one finds a guitar that they really like, so GOOD for you!

What year was it made?

Bluetelecaster likes this.
  17. Bluetelecaster

Bluetelecaster Tele-Meister

It's brand hammer new . I was amazed how well the distressed finish was done. If a body didn't know their guitars real well you'd swear up and down it was an old guitar. The neck is great, and it has just a cool grit to to tone.

savofenno likes this.
  18. raysachs

raysachs Tele-Afflicted Silver Supporter

I’ve never played an American Special, but I’ve played a bunch of teles at all price ranges and the RW50 is my favorite by far. It’s the first traditionally laid out tele I’ve ever really bonded with. I like the light resonant body, I like the pickups, but I LOVE the neck, best feeling and playing tele neck I’ve ever played and it’s not close. I have a Robert Cray hardtail strat that’s my favorite strat ever and I’m a strat guy and I’m a hardtail guy, but I like the neck on the RW tele SO MUCH I’m thinking of replacing my Cray Strat with a RW50 strat just to have something close to that feel on my strat too. I’m probably gonna at least try one at some point. THAT’S how much I like the RW50 tele...

rich815 and Bluetelecaster like this.
  19. Digiplay

Digiplay TDPRI Member

What's your point Ray? :) :) :) :)

raysachs and rich815 like this.
  20. tombm3

tombm3 Tele-Holic

Ray, I also have a RW50's Strat. The neck is so comfortable. It's like your favorite pair of worn in jeans. I like the feel so much that I swapped the pickups out with a set of Robert Cray pickups, moved the tone from the middle to the bridge to remove any ice pick and it's a really great combo. Definitely a go to strat.

rich815 likes this.
IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.