Asher Guitars WD Music Products Amplified Parts Mod Kits DIY Nordstarnd Pickups darrenriley.com
Asher Guitars WD Music Products Amplified Parts Mod Kits DIY Nordstarnd Pickups Warmoth.com
Asher Guitars WD Music Products Amplified Parts Mod Kits DIY Nordstarnd Pickups Warmoth.com

Ripping the guts out...

Discussion in 'Just Pickups' started by MrGibbly, Jan 1, 2018.

1. MrGibbly

MrGibbly Tele-Holic

Apr 19, 2014
    SATX
    ...of my American Deluxe Telecaster. The N3 Noiseless pickups have been "fine" and I mean that exactly the same way my wife and/daughters mean it when they say "fine". I tried for several years. The guitar is lively acoustically and sublime to play (my best player by far). The sound just never did it for me. Here's what I've got ready to go into the guitar:

*TV Jones Brian Setzer for the Neck
    *Seymour Duncan Pearly Gates for Tele for the Bridge

Going to reverse the control plate so I quit whacking the switch and changing pickups when strumming and have easier access to the volume knob for swells, etc. 5-way switch, 500k pots, and .022 cap. No push-pulls or anything fancy (I never liked Fidelitrons split, anyway).

I've pulled the pick guard and it's routed for a middle pickup so I may as well go Nashville with it, too. I've got a black DiMarzio True Velvet that I can toss in...thoughts?

I'll post to this thread with pics and comments about the results.

BradL and nojazzhere like this.

2. nojazzhere

nojazzhere Tele-Afflicted

Feb 3, 2017
    Foat Wuth, Texas
    Careful....start down that road and you may not stop until your Tele is like mine....only original parts remaining are the body, control plate (plate only) and strap buttons. But that's ok, it's where I want it.

3. Middleman

Middleman Friend of Leo's

Aug 29, 2007
    MV, CA
    Wow, now that's a complete change of direction. I'm with you however regarding N3s. They just have this annoying ear piercing bite in the 2-3khz range that pokes out across numerous amps. I pulled them and went with some Custom Shop Blackguards. My American Deluxe Tele also is a dream to play and I went with a non standard cap on the tone knob as well, can't remember the value however. Made a world of difference.

Anxious to hear how it turns out. One more thing, those red spacers and screws on the N3s, they are impossible to find if you lose them. If you are going to sell those pickups or change your mind later. Make sure you keep them handy.

4. Crawldaddy

Crawldaddy Tele-Meister

Dec 12, 2006
    Singapore
    Maybe give us an idea what kind of music you want to play. My only concern is the output balance between all three pickups. Also, you will need a five-way switch and a new ‘guard if you want to go Nashville.

Otherwise, I’m excited for you!

Dan R likes this.

5. BradL

BradL Tele-Afflicted Gold Supporter

Feb 9, 2009
    Sussex, UK
    sounds like a fun project. Looking forward to progress reports!

6. MrGibbly

MrGibbly Tele-Holic

Apr 19, 2014
    SATX
    Thanks to my friends here on TDPRI I ordered up a new guard routed the way I need it from Warmoth, and the 5-way is on the bench ready to go in. Great question about output balance... I think the neck and the bridge will be in the same general wheelhouse, but I think you're right question what's going to happen with the Strat-style middle pickup.

I'm not at all wedded to the notion that the True Velvet is the answer...ideas?

7. MrGibbly

MrGibbly Tele-Holic

Apr 19, 2014
    SATX
    Good advice on the spacers, thanks. I'm putting all the original guts in an electrostatic bag with silica gel in the case for safe keeping...you just never know.

8. MrGibbly

MrGibbly Tele-Holic

Apr 19, 2014
    SATX
    Exactly the outcome I'm hoping for! Teles are such a great, flexible platform. I love them bone stock and traditional, and I love them all modded up. This just means I get to buy another one later and set it up more traditionally. ;)

9. Crawldaddy

Crawldaddy Tele-Meister

Dec 12, 2006
    Singapore
    Probably a stacked, or just higher output single coil. Alternatively, you could get a single-coil sized humbucker and wire it in parallel to get better cleans but still plenty of healthy output.

10. MrGibbly

MrGibbly Tele-Holic

Apr 19, 2014
    SATX
    2 of the three pickups, the pick guard, plate/knobs, pots, wiring, cap, jack, etc. have all arrived. I had to drill holes in the guard this evening to mount the TV Jones "ears style" at the neck. I also ordered an electro socket so I'll swap that out while I have everything apart. The Pearly Gates for the bridge is still pending shipment so I'm "on hold" for now. More soon.

IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.