RIP Sam Andrew

Discussion in 'Amp Central Station' started by Bill Ashton, Feb 18, 2015.

1. Bill Ashton

Bill Ashton Tele-Afflicted Gold Supporter

Hey guys, have not been here for quite a while, been sucked into the dark side (i.e acoustic guitar) for some time, and I may well reside there...but my heart is in electrics, hard to see an amp I don't covet...

More to the point, the Boston Globe reported Sam Andrew's passing today, one of the guitarists in Big Brother and the Holding Company. Apparently he succumbed following recent heart surgery...I would add a link but cannot get to it in the Globe.

My question comes as to what was used for a backline, and I am sure there are other members here who are aware. I saw them at Franklin Pierce College in NH, the next gig after JJ's appearance on The Ed Sullivan Show..."Full Tilt Boogie Band" or some such thing...we had tickets for BB&HC...cannot remember the backline, other than JJ had a bottle of something she kept going to on a big Leslie cab, clearly up front and part of the persona. I recently saw an old advertisement that showed Sam using Standell in that band, but I cannot remember seeing those that night. Anyone got any insight?

My memory clouded due to time rather than other issues (I was in high school, pretty straight at the time). Remember being disappointed that Sam was not soloing all the time, but in retrospect he fit into the soul-band gig in a great "Steve Cropper" kind of way. Clearly a guy who "got it," and I have a lot of respect for him due to that.

Another those of us at a certain age will remember and miss...:cry:

2. Jakedog

Jakedog Doctor of Teleocity Ad Free Member

Don't know about back then. My friend Ben Nieves has been playing with Sam and Big Brother for quite a few years now. They even did a new record recently (not big brother, Sam and Ben and a couple of my other friends) of all new material.

Ben told me a year or so ago that most all gigs were backlined, they never carried amps on the road. I believe he said they mostly used JCM900's or Twin Reverbs, the 900's being the favorites. I'll see him in a couple weeks. I'll see if I can find out more.

3. Jakedog

Actually, here's a recent pic of the two of them. Marshalls clearly visible.

image-4086295833.jpg

4. Johnny Cache

Johnny Cache Former Member

Only met him once at a concert in LA. IMHO He was one of the best, but under-rated guitarist in the Bay Area scene back in the '60. I still love his work with BBHC. RIP

5. Wally

Wally Telefied Ad Free Member

I saw Big Brother and the HOlding company in San Francisco in late '71/early '72...post Janis. I have no idea what he was playing through. I wasn't studying equipment that night. IIRC, Cathy MacDonald was doing the singing at that time. They rocked those hard blues out.
    I had made the trip from Monterrey, where I was studying Russian at the Defense Language Institute, to see Ten Years AFter. Big Bro. and the Hold Co. were the first act at Winterland. that night. Ten Years AFter was ON that evening....A. Lee was big and strong at that time....one of the best concerts I have ever seen.

I am sorry to hear of Sam Andrews passing. Respects to a great guitarist.

6. Jakedog

Ha! Small world. My parents were both at DLI in '72.

7. StoogeSurfer

StoogeSurfer Tele-Afflicted

Well I remember when Cheap Thrills came out, it was a thing of wonder to my 11 year old ears. Combination of the 2 still rocks. He and they all are people I wish I had met.

8. slauson slim

slauson slim Friend of Leo's

When I saw them in the late '60s I recall they used big Fender 2x15 cabs with Dual Showman heads or Bandmaster or Bassman heads, all black Tolex.

9. Johnny Cache

Thats what I remember them using, when I saw them. Think it was Dual Showman he was playing through, with a ES 335, just like the one I had.

10. Jimmy Dean

Jimmy Dean Tele-Afflicted

Saw him with Big Brother & Janice in 1969 just before she went solo. In 1989 I went to a weekend retreat for a 12 step group in nw Washington. They had a clean & sober dance with the Sam Andrews band. He didn't play guitar, he played sax. He also had the late Kathy McDonald (backup singer for the Shelter People & the Rolling Stones in the 70's) doing the lead vocals. They did several BB songs, including Ball & Chain. They killed it, great dance. Got to talk to him during one of the breaks. He said sax was really his main instrument. Kathy McDonald grew up in the same county as I did. She was a few years older than me. She died suddenly in 2012 after releasing a new album.

11. Johnny Cache

Sorry to hear that.

Those things are bad for your health.

12. 63 vibroverb

63 vibroverb Tele-Holic

I always loved the way Sam and James' playing sounded together. Their parts just wove and floated together perfectly. "Summertime" is the best example of that.

13. Paul in Colorado

Paul in Colorado Telefied Ad Free Member

Big Brother got a bunch of Fender amps when they signed with Columbia. Dual Showman amps were regularly used. I saw post-Janis Big Brother once in the early '70's and Sam used a Twin with a Dual Showman head sitting on it. Maybe he was using the Twin speakers? He was playing a black guard Tele that sounded fabulous.

Sam was an online friend. I'm still in shock that we lost him. I miss him.

IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.