Asher Guitars WD Music Products Amplified Parts Mod Kits DIY Nordstarnd Pickups Warmoth.com
Asher Guitars WD Music Products Amplified Parts Mod Kits DIY Nordstarnd Pickups Warmoth.com

RIP Johnny Hallyday

Discussion in 'Bad Dog Cafe' started by LowCaster, Dec 6, 2017.

1. LowCaster

LowCaster Tele-Meister

Jan 24, 2011
    Paris, France
    The biggest rock star in France, of all time, died today. He started to rock with Elvis in mind, became a star in 1960, and never stopped untill today.

I hope you will like these songs. Morceaux choisis:

This is a time capsule from 1962 (in english please )

Let's Twist Again. 1962.
    My mother was there... Early rockn'roll in France was not peacefull, kids were crazy, there were riots, and cops each time to end the show.

This one is about blues music, and there are a few good guitars:

"Toute la musique que j'aime", Johnny Hallyday, Parc des Princes, 1993

Last but not least, a song adapted from the House of the Rising Sun, with a very good guitar player called Yarol Poupaud. I saw him on stage last year, at age 73 and he was still amazing as you can see.

"Les portes du pénitencier", Concert des Vieilles Canailles, 2017

2. elihu

elihu Poster Extraordinaire

Dec 24, 2009
    Texas
    Yeah, I heard about this on PBS today. Their take was that Johnny was really good for a long time but only got the recognition he deserved in France. They also mentioned Mr. Hallyday touring with Jimi Hendrix in 1966.

SnidelyWhiplash and LowCaster like this.

3. Nickadermis

Nickadermis Tele-Holic Silver Supporter

Dec 18, 2016
    Camden Point, MO

4. smartsoul72

smartsoul72 TDPRI Member

Nov 24, 2017
    pennsylvania
    Nice to see some recognition. Thanks for sharing!

5. Deeve

Deeve Tele-Afflicted Silver Supporter

Dec 7, 2009
    Ballard

6. Stubee

Stubee Poster Extraordinaire Silver Supporter

Jan 22, 2007
    Mid-Michigan

7. Gibson

Gibson Friend of Leo's

Feb 13, 2007
    Park Island
    Thanks for sharing his music; I only know him from the movie The Man on the Train, which was pretty good.

8. José

José Tele-Afflicted

Feb 26, 2008
    paris
    Johnny Hallyday at his best backed by Micky Jones, before Foreigner.

SnidelyWhiplash and Shango66 like this.

9. Paul Jenkin

Paul Jenkin Tele-Meister Silver Supporter

Aug 17, 2017
    Essex, UK
    I first came across this guy when I was on a cultural exchange trip to France when I hit my teens in the mid-70's. He was huge in France / Belgium but virtually unheard of in the UK and I haven't heard his name mentioned in quite some time. He seemed a gifted and talented performer and it's always really sad to see one of those go.

10. Frontman

Frontman Tele-Meister

Jul 10, 2014
    Tokyo
    Never heard of him until I spent a season racing in France. If you listened to any French rock station, you were going to hear one of his songs at least once an hour, a little more often than they played Paul McCartney" "Michelle."

I loved the music, which is often the case when you've heard everything popular in your own country hundreds of times. In the internet era we can listen to radio from everywhere, but in those days French rock was fun and new.

RIP Johnny, you are joining good company. Say "hi" to everyone for us. We'll see you again when our own shows are over.

11. kplamann

kplamann Tele-Meister Platinum Supporter

Mar 19, 2003
    Paris region, France
    While his music was not quite my cup of tea he was certainly a character, and a huge phenomenon in France, and this over many decades.

They are considering the Champs Élysées for his funeral procession.

RIP!

elihu likes this.

12. LowCaster

LowCaster Tele-Meister

Jan 24, 2011
    Paris, France
    Nice footage, now we can say that Johnny was better than Jimi. He smoked him.

13. LowCaster

LowCaster Tele-Meister

Jan 24, 2011
    Paris, France
    Johnny singing "Hey Joe" , in french, with two epic guitar players: Yarol Poupaud with the Telecaster, and M (alias Mathieu Chedid) with the sg.

Hey Joe, live from tv show Taratata, 2011.

14. Chud

Chud Poster Extraordinaire Platinum Supporter

Dec 30, 2010
    New York City
    A good friend of mine in Nice has been drumming for Johnny Vegas for the last few years. Johnny Vegas I guess you’d say is the biggest touring impersonator of Johnny Hallyday, who was the French Elvis.

RIP Johnny.

15. 5595bassman

5595bassman Tele-Meister

Oct 4, 2009
    Montreal Canada
    Being French Canadian, that song was the only one in french we were playing in 1968 with my second band. I was 20 years old then. Good memories! And I went to his show some 15 years ago when he came to Montreal.

In my mind his best song was "Que Je T'aime!" ( How much I Love You! )

Both the original version :

And his huge Live interpretation. ( starting at 04:00 min. ) The size of the crowd will show you how big he was.

16. 5595bassman

5595bassman Tele-Meister

Oct 4, 2009
    Montreal Canada
    Jimmy was touring with HIM not the opposite! Quoted from the description of the clip "filmed by Claude Goretta (Swiss television) in a restaurant, Nancy 14 October 1966. the other guy who blowing smoking ring is a French singer, The experience played the first part of three of his concert."

LowCaster likes this.

17. LowCaster

LowCaster Tele-Meister

Jan 24, 2011
    Paris, France
    Yes, it's funny but in 1966 Johnny Hallyday was a big star since five years, selling millions of vinyls. The Jimi endrix experience only formed in 1966, and according to wikipedia:

"The first official appearance of "The Jimi Hendrix Experience" (invited by French singer Johnny Hallyday) was at the Novelty in Évreux, France, on October 13, 1966."

They played at the Olympia, in Paris too, and there is a recording.

In 1967 Johnny was singing Hey Joe in french, and switched from wearing a suit to the full psychedelic apparel, so there is a strong connexion.

SnidelyWhiplash likes this.

18. Matt G

Matt G Tele-Holic

Dec 6, 2012
    Australia
    Sad news. But, Concert des Vieilles Canailles - dig it. Johnny went down swingin'.

IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.