Asher Guitars WD Music Products Amplified Parts Mod Kits DIY Nordstarnd Pickups Warmoth.com
Asher Guitars WD Music Products Amplified Parts Mod Kits DIY Nordstarnd Pickups Warmoth.com

RIP Hugh Hefner

Discussion in 'Bad Dog Cafe' started by teleamp, Sep 28, 2017.

1. chiefline

chiefline Tele-Holic

Mar 18, 2014
    new jersey
    I have only bought one playboy magazine and that was the early one with Cindy Crawford. I have a lot of catching up to do I guess

2. SacDAve

SacDAve Poster Extraordinaire

Dec 23, 2009
    Rocklin Ca.
    You do realize he died on HUMP DAY

Ira7, Frank'n'censed and Obsessed like this.

3. studio

studio Poster Extraordinaire

May 27, 2013
    California
    Yer pulling my leg right?

Hey, that's not my leg!

[​IMG]

4. lespaul74

lespaul74 TDPRI Member

Sep 16, 2017
    Nevada
    RIP Hef, hopefully he died with a smile on his face and a few Playboy girls next to him.

5. grooveiron

grooveiron Tele-Meister Ad Free + Supporter

Mar 29, 2008
    Calgary, AB
    He always seemed so dour in interviews, like he was taking his fun too seriously, d'you know what I mean?

6. ZackyDog

ZackyDog Tele-Afflicted

Aug 24, 2014
    PNW
    Rest in peace, Hugh.

The Playboy Mansion in California is very beautiful:

playboy-mansion-1a.jpg

tery likes this.

7. Skully

Skully Doctor of Teleocity

Jun 12, 2003
    Glamorous NoHo
    When I was a student at UCLA, I'd park on Charing Cross Road in the Holmby Hills, on the other side of the mansion, in front of a lesser mansion. At the time, the street had two or four-hour parking, and the one or two parking tickets a quarter I'd get were cheaper than a school parking pass, which would usually be for a lot in downtown Westwood, when I had most of my classes on the northeast tip of the campus. Aaron Spelling's then-new monstrosity of a mansion was down near the bottom of the hill.

One time, a guy came out on the balcony of a mansion, looking like a butler, and told me I couldn't park there. I told him, yes, I could. Another time, a cop knocked on the window of my Hyundai and asked me what I was doing there. I angrily told him that I was warming up my car, and he backed off. I don't think it would've gone so well if I wasn't a white college student. Sometimes, when I was walking to school in the mornings, I'd see Lloyd Bridges and his wife Dorothy going on power walks, and he'd give me a "hello" wink.

Last edited: Sep 29, 2017
    P Thought likes this.

8. fred4321

fred4321 Tele-Meister

Jul 25, 2013
    Wollongong NSW Australia
    He certainly was a trailblazer. How much of the ex bunnies stories are true?

Bright Shiny Object: cool track-like the video

Skully likes this.

9. boris bubbanov

boris bubbanov Telefied Ad Free Member

By nature, Hefner was a sort of introvert. But he realized intellectually he would have to try to convince people he was a large than life raconteur and lothario. I think when he exited the party early some nights, with some charming young thing, he was just looking for a backrub and a few winks. His guests may have been playing, but he was mostly working I think.

Getting 1950s men and 1960s women to cut loose, was IMO hard work. I think this guy put his back against the wagon and pushed. He may have wanted you to see him riding the wave, but he built the wave (as much as any person can claim to have).

tery and william tele like this.

10. william tele

william tele Doctor of Teleocity

Nov 7, 2009
    Kansas City, MO
    Yeah, there was a gal here in KC that worked her way up through the Playboy system (this is not a joke) and compared Hef and the brand to any well run business.

There is a reason that women aren't coming out of the woodwork (yet) to talk about abuse as in the Cosby situation.

11. blowtorch

blowtorch Doctor of Teleocity Ad Free Member

May 2, 2003
    Wisco
    It's a shame the other RIP Hef thread got shut down. It was the more interesting one, IMO

At last night's gig, in between songs I called out for a moment's silence in respect for Hef's passing. I was about to come up with a snappy "punch line", when our bassist (who's a chick) yelled out "show us your t1t$!" :p

12. Frank'n'censed

Frank'n'censed Poster Extraordinaire

Mar 27, 2011
    Parts Unknown
    Nuthin' like a little bourbon streak

13. ZackyDog

ZackyDog Tele-Afflicted

Aug 24, 2014
    PNW
    I thought I had a pretty decent command of the English language. Apparently not.:oops:

lothario.jpg

14. Maxwell Street

Maxwell Street Friend of Leo's

Feb 18, 2009
    chicago usa
    Agreed...best thread in sometime, then Mom came in the room, turned off the TV and sent everyone to bed without their supper, just when the kids were starting to have fun...:lol:

[​IMG]

drlucky likes this.

15. R. Stratenstein

R. Stratenstein Doctor of Teleocity

Aug 3, 2010
    Loganville, Ga.
    Not to worry, it's your knowledge of Spanish literature that is lacking, if anything. Lothario is part of a sub-plot in Don Quixote, he of tilting at windmills, by the Spanish author, Cervantes.

ZackyDog likes this.

16. blowtorch

May 2, 2003
    Wisco
    huh. and here I thought that lothario was middle ages tolkein-geek stuff

And, I prefer my cervantes chilled :p

boris bubbanov likes this.

17. blowtorch

May 2, 2003
    Wisco
    As the Ladies Man does, and as I'm sure Hef did...

images.jpg

drlucky likes this.

18. String Tree

String Tree Doctor of Teleocity

Dec 8, 2010
    Up North
    SHouldda wore the SILK Cargos.

Toto'sDad likes this.

19. Shango66

Shango66 Friend of Leo's

Aug 15, 2012
    Australia
    Playboy also supported music. I got a few great Poll winners jazz albums. Plus those playboy after dark gigs are so cool.

boris bubbanov and tery like this.

IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.