Asher Guitars WD Music Products Amplified Parts Mod Kits DIY Nordstarnd Pickups darrenriley.com
Asher Guitars WD Music Products Amplified Parts Mod Kits DIY Nordstarnd Pickups Warmoth.com
Asher Guitars WD Music Products Amplified Parts Mod Kits DIY Nordstarnd Pickups Warmoth.com

Ringing behind the nut.

Discussion in 'Telecaster Discussion Forum' started by WelshBluesMan, Jun 11, 2018.

1. WelshBluesMan

WelshBluesMan TDPRI Member

Apr 2, 2018
    Wales, UK.
    I noticed this odd ringing noise on my Tele, which I at first thought was feedback but have traced it to the G-string ringing behind the nut, most noticeable when choking off an open G. I've wedged a pick in there, which silences the ringing, but with the irritation of it falling out every few minutes.

So I could do with a more permanent fix... Ideally one that doesn't involve putting a pink, fluffy scrunchie on the headstock. Any ideas?

2. Frodebro

Frodebro Doctor of Teleocity Ad Free Member

Aug 17, 2012
    Seattle
    The string is ringing because the break angle behind the nut is too shallow and the string isn’t seating firmly in the bottom of the nut slot. This can usually be rectified by making sure that the string is wound on the post in a manner that keeps it as close to the face of the headstock as possible when exiting the tuner shaft on its way to the nut, but some people will add a second string tree for the middle two strings to achieve the same end result.

PCollen, coloradojeff, PhredE and 2 others like this.

3. WelshBluesMan

Apr 2, 2018
    Wales, UK.
    Hmm... I'll give it a go next time I restring.

4. rze99

rze99 Friend of Leo's Silver Supporter

Feb 26, 2014
    South London UK
    @Frodebro is correct.

I've got loads of Teles and sometimes there is a ring. This can come through the amp. I do something really crude and basic. I use a little Sellotape on the string where it meets the tuning post. I wrap it round the string and push it as tight to the post as possible. The ring is gone. The Sellotape is pretty much invisible.

5. Scottz

Scottz TDPRI Member

May 18, 2018
    Littleton CO
    I have that issue on my Bullet. When I changed strings I wrapped lower and it's not ringing. I plan to add another string tree though because of the string angle.

6. Obsessed

Obsessed Doctor of Teleocity Silver Supporter

Nov 21, 2012
    Montana
    Hair scunchy around the neck above the nut is the classic quick fix.

7. Bob Womack

Bob Womack Tele-Meister

I've seen a lot of people weave in a little strip of felt to deaden the ring.

Bob

coloradojeff and PhredE like this.

8. RLee77

RLee77 Friend of Leo's

May 15, 2016
    Silicon Valley
    I've got ringing in the ears but so far (knock on wood), none behind the nut...

PCollen, Wrighty and cactusrob like this.

9. fendrguitplayr

fendrguitplayr Poster Extraordinaire

Oct 11, 2006
    Greater Boston
    Agreed.

Obsessed likes this.

10. PhredE

PhredE Tele-Meister

Sep 25, 2017
    Suburban PDX, OR
    I follow Frodebro's approach and add (wedge) a neoprene grommet between the culprit string --high E in my case -- and the B string somewhere between the nut and string tree. It absorbs those weird aberrations ok. Seems to be a problem fairly common to Telecasters.

11. SynMike

SynMike Tele-Meister

Mar 22, 2013
    Vancouver BC
    I have 4 Teles and my favorite one has this issue. I got some 1mm clear soft tubing on ebay. A couple bucks for 3 feet of it. I put a 1-1/2 inch section on the string when I change strings. It's nearly invisible. You can see it in this picture:

[​IMG]

rze99, x2plex, drmmrr55 and 1 other person like this.

12. horseman308

horseman308 Tele-Meister

May 7, 2016
    US
    I've got the same issue on my high E. I wrapped a leather shoe string around the whole area behind the nut, very loosely and just enough to silence any ringing. It also fits the overall aesthetic of the guitar.

13. Wally

Wally Telefied Ad Free Member

Mar 17, 2003
    Lubbock, TX
    Imho, two string trees are needed.....and maybe a mute like the scrunchy. I first noticed this type of harmonic ringing that has nothing to do with the played notes with regard fo frequency on my ‘66 Es345with a trapeze tailpiece. That was 51 years ago. I used to intertwine a polish rag in the strings in front of the tailpiece. Violin family players have special mutes they fit into that stretch of strings.

14. SonsOfMoog

SonsOfMoog Tele-Meister

Jul 22, 2017
    US
    Your guitar has tinnitus!

15. NashvilleDeluxe

NashvilleDeluxe Tele-Holic

May 10, 2007
    Laurentians, Quebec
    Dear crap...the OP is clearly a funny person trying to elicit naughty responses. Which makes the other responses very hilarious. How is it that I'm from Quebec and can see this more clearly than my U.S. brethren?

Or maybe the Brit who posted this is accidentally funny.

I'm so confused.

WelshBluesMan likes this.

16. charlie chitlin

charlie chitlin Doctor of Teleocity Silver Supporter

Mar 17, 2003
    Spring City, Pa
    Hair scrunchies ain't cool.
    I don't even like typing "hair scrunchy."
    You need something MANLY.
    Fold up a $50 bill and weave it between the strings.
    You ever get a good look of that picture of Grant on the 50?
    His name was freakin' ULYSSES, yo.
    Just do it.

Jakeboy likes this.

17. charlie chitlin

charlie chitlin Doctor of Teleocity Silver Supporter

Mar 17, 2003
    Spring City, Pa
    Oh...wait...are you really in Wales? Your money probably has a pic of the Queen Mum on it. Things like "queen" and "mum" don't belong around guitars any more than pink scrunchies..
    Maybe a copy of Johnny Cash's death certificate.

Last edited: Jun 15, 2018 at 7:04 PM
    WelshBluesMan likes this.

18. WelshBluesMan

Apr 2, 2018
    Wales, UK.
    I could always jam a Fiver in there with Winston Churchill on it.

19. Jakeboy

Jakeboy Tele-Afflicted

Jul 26, 2008
    Sedalia, MO
    ...and there you go. And btw, Charlie Chitlin, that was the coolest post I’ve read this year. Just sayin’...

charlie chitlin likes this.

20. Dadzmad

Dadzmad TDPRI Member

Sep 17, 2014
    Wisconsin USA
    the behind the nut action annoyed me so II use two roller string trees and one of my wifes thin black hair ties for the flat wounds I use

IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.