Asher Guitars WD Music Products Amplified Parts Mod Kits DIY Nordstarnd Pickups Warmoth.com
Asher Guitars WD Music Products Amplified Parts Mod Kits DIY Nordstarnd Pickups Warmoth.com
Join TDPRI Today

Right angle plug! Aurgh!

Discussion in 'Telecaster Discussion Forum' started by littlebadboy, Jun 18, 2017.

1. bsman

bsman Tele-Holic

Jun 8, 2003
    Santa Clara
    They are often found in a package deal with left-handed mugs and left-handed smokebenders...

Honest Charley likes this.

2. SPUDCASTER

SPUDCASTER Poster Extraordinaire

If the L11 and the Allparts EP-055L-000 are the same, then yes. Make sure the Electrosocket is not metric threaded.

This isn't a good, better or best issue. It's a personal preference decision. I always, and have for years, looped my cord from the guitar over the strap/strap button no matter straight or RA plug. Can't step on it and pull out.

Last edited: Jun 19, 2017

3. Forum Sponsor Sponsored posting

4. Amby

Amby Tele-Holic

I use Planet Waves stage lead with Neutrik plugs into an Electrosocket - no problem.

5. Alamo

Alamo Poster Extraordinaire

Nov 15, 2006
    Berlin, Germany
    IT's because 79% of all TDPRI Tele players use their instrument on the couch and a straight plug just gets in the way or even worse, will ruin the couch.
    btw, 97% of internet statistics are made up on the spot. ;):lol:

HPIM0158.JPG

jackinjax and tintag27 like this.

6. littlebadboy

littlebadboy Tele-Holic

Jun 25, 2016
    Midwest, USA
    It's getting complicated... One of the eBay sellers said that my plug plate hole may be in metric. So, the Fender electrosockets may not fit a Squire. Aurgh.

7. poolshark

poolshark Tele-Holic

Mar 20, 2011
    Tallahassee
    Most of the electrosocket jack mounts I've seen come threaded for imperial jacks - Switchcraft being the common one. Some mounts come threaded for metric, but metric jacks are generally inferior quality. The solution is to buy an electrosocket threaded for imperial, and if your jack doesn't fit, swap it for one that does. Double upgrade.

8. littlebadboy

littlebadboy Tele-Holic

Jun 25, 2016
    Midwest, USA
    I mean the cup hole itself may be in metric, they say.

9. skydog6653

skydog6653 Tele-Meister

Jan 10, 2013
    Lowell, Indiana
    That's sort of extreme

10. Alamo

Nov 15, 2006
    Berlin, Germany
    Oh yeah, metric jacks are threaded in zig-zag pattern and therefore of inferiour quality.
    going imperial, the only thing doubleing is the price for new jack +electrosocket + the time spent soldering :rolleyes:

@littlebadboy, all the Classic Vibe series of guitars have metric hardware parts.
    the fastest and cheapest way is to get an metric electrosocket.
    it will fit, it will be secured by two screws, it will take the existing jack just fine and you won't even have to solder.

jackinjax and littlebadboy like this.

11. poolshark

poolshark Tele-Holic

Mar 20, 2011
    Tallahassee
    That I haven't seen.

Don't be dense. It has nothing to do with the qualities inherent in metric and imperial measurement standards, and everything to do with the material and workmanship standards to which certain parts are made. Switchcraft is top of the line, a guaranteed win, and costs a grand total of $4 if you overpay. You're wrong if you think the OEM metric stuff in cheap imports can compete, but still, it's your prerogative.

12. Minimalist518

Minimalist518 Tele-Meister

Mar 5, 2017
    Albany
    This tidiness IMG_3089.JPG
    Vs. this heinous sloppiness just waiting to catch itself on the weighted end of a boom mic stand. IMG_3090.JPG

Last edited: Jun 20, 2017
    Vespa_One and Telefunked like this.

13. teleNtweed

teleNtweed Tele-Holic

Nov 27, 2010
    Anchorage, AK
    I recall not liking the electro socket thingy much but I can't remember why now. I solved my issues with a Les Paul jack plate, works great! But, now I am considering a new Professional and this is something I forgot about, I would have to do something about this and I am not thrilled about drilling a new professional for a Les Paul jack!! YIKES!

14. Alamo

Nov 15, 2006
    Berlin, Germany
    I'm not dense at all, ... well not yet.
    I have used Switchcraft jacks and plugs where ever they make sense.
    In studios and live applications. they are solid, no mistake there ...and, they don't cost an arm or limb around here aswell.
    You are wrong when you say:" if you think the OEM metric stuff in cheap imports can compete, but still, it's your prerogative."

This isn't cheap import stuff but global standards!
    get with the program!
    http://www.zmescience.com/other/map-of-countries-officially-not-using-the-metric-system/

15. littlebadboy

littlebadboy Tele-Holic

Jun 25, 2016
    Midwest, USA
    Upgraded to an electrosocket, and everything is now well!
    [​IMG]

As you can see, I am using a normal right angle plug:
    [​IMG]

And it now fits with some space to spare:
    [​IMG]

Alamo likes this.

16. SPUDCASTER

SPUDCASTER Poster Extraordinaire

17. Alamo

Nov 15, 2006
    Berlin, Germany
    Nice, congrats.
    did you use the existing jack or did you solder in a new one?

18. littlebadboy

littlebadboy Tele-Holic

Jun 25, 2016
    Midwest, USA
    I used the existing jack. It still works anyway.

And now that I opened the control plate, I'm thinking about that 4-way mod...

Thanks everyone for all your input!

IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.