Asher Guitars WD Music Products Amplified Parts Mod Kits DIY Nordstarnd Pickups Warmoth.com
Asher Guitars WD Music Products Amplified Parts Mod Kits DIY Nordstarnd Pickups Warmoth.com

Rick Flair On "30 For 30"

Discussion in 'Bad Dog Cafe' started by Guitarzan, Nov 8, 2017.

1. Guitarzan

Guitarzan Poster Extraordinaire

Feb 28, 2006
    Hotlanta, GA

2. Chud

Chud Poster Extraordinaire Platinum Supporter

Dec 30, 2010
    New York City
    Going to have to now! I saw Rick in Omaha when he and everyone else were still part of Georgia Wrestling back in the 70’s. In fact, I think he was part of a tag team match with The Crusher when I saw him. Great wrestler and showman.

Bodean likes this.

3. scrapyardblue

scrapyardblue Friend of Leo's Silver Supporter

Feb 6, 2007
    central illinois
    I saw part of it and found it interesting in a depraved sort of way, unapologetic about anything that he did. I would agree that he's a great showman and very athletic, even acrobatic, but he wasn't a wrestler. Wrestlers are the high school, college and Olympic kids that do it for real.

Chicago Matt and emisilly like this.

4. 3fngrs

3fngrs Tele-Meister

Oct 30, 2017
    Ohio
    He was a rassler, not wrestler.

Last edited: Nov 8, 2017
    emisilly and 6stringcowboy like this.

5. Bodean

Bodean TDPRI Member

Dec 24, 2014
    South Carolina USA
    I already knew most that was told on the show. Still it was good to reminisce. Most pro wrestlers had an amateur wrestling background. True most of it is show, but there are times when things happen for real. Taking this hard chest chops will leave you bruised and in pain.
    I think Ric is still living in denial about a lot of things. if you screw up as much as he did in his personal life i guess I would be to.

emisilly likes this.

6. jwp333

jwp333 Tele-Holic Silver Supporter

Jul 17, 2013
    Richmond, VA
    The nonstop alcohol use and sex with women surprised me. He may have been putting on an act in the ring and on tv with the Ric Flair persona, but it sure carried over to life outside the ring. I didn't expect him to be a Sunday school teacher outside of wrestling, but the extent of the partying was kind of shocking. I was a Mid Atlantic wrestling fan as a kid back in those days and liked to hate him, but later on I realized that he was the best performer. Found it surprising that Hogan candidly admitted that he was no where near as good as Flair. But Flair hasn't aged with dignity, which is sad.

emisilly and Chicago Matt like this.

7. Octorfunk

Octorfunk Tele-Meister

Jan 20, 2014
    Midwest
    It's always sad to hear these famous guys (musicians, athelets, etc.) talk about how they sacrificed their families and the lives of their children to be the best at their craft. And the denial is equally sad: "I wish I would have been there to see my kids grow up, but I have no regrets." Really?! You were on the road most of the time, missed birthdays, graduations, etc., but you have no regrets?

This is sadly all too common for the people at the top of their game. You think pro athletes get a lot of family time? You think famous touring musicians (and even low-level gigging musicians) see much of their families? But at least they got all that fame and money right? Sad.

Chicago Matt likes this.

8. dkmw

dkmw Tele-Afflicted Silver Supporter

Mar 30, 2016
    Florida USA
    Bless his heart....

9. TheGoodTexan

TheGoodTexan Doctor of Teleocity

Apr 28, 2003
    Nashville, TN
    I watched it last night. Sad and depressing. It was very well produced.

scrapyardblue and Chicago Matt like this.

10. Neel

Neel TDPRI Member

Sep 24, 2007
    North Carolina
    I may be the oldest ride in the PARK but, I've always got the longest lines! WHOOOOO

emisilly likes this.

11. scrapyardblue

Feb 6, 2007
    central illinois
    I hope this isn't a stretch to connect, nor too far a deviation from Rick Flair, but your comments made me think of the video I watched today of the Ray Halladay plane crash. Here was a man, one of the great pitchers of his time, loved by many, finally home with his family at 40 yet, from all indications, tempted death every time he flew. The folks videotaping him, and people in other boats, were astounded by the reckless, daredevil flying just before impact.

None of will ever know what Halladay was thinking, but you hear stories of these people, the best of the best, unable to cope after the pinnacle is reached. Interesting subjects from stars at opposite ends of the humility scale.

12. Jules78

Jules78 Tele-Meister Ad Free Member

Dec 12, 2016
    Northern VA
    Did they find out what happened? He really was just daredevilin it? Crazy video. I would have tried to help him at the crash scene but I guess they knew he was gone when they got there.

13. scrapyardblue

Feb 6, 2007
    central illinois
    That was my initial thought also. You gonna stand there in your boat and throw out every cuss word on how unbelievable it all was that you witnessed some wild flying that ended in a crash, or you gonna jump in and see if there's a chance of life? There were actually three boats that appeared in the video, all just saying "wow" to each other.

On the other hand, it may have taken each boat tens of minutes to reach the crash site and the A5 was upside down in the water. Still, pocket of air, whatever, I believe I would've jumped in.

14. TheGoodTexan

TheGoodTexan Doctor of Teleocity

Apr 28, 2003
    Nashville, TN
    Yeah... I can't say what I would have done if I wasn't actually there... but I agree with you - when I watched the video, I kept waiting for someone to jump in. I just knew someone was about to jump in. I didn't understand why they didn't... but there must be some reason that felt rational at the time. But at one point it sounds like the guy says, "There he is" ..then immediately after he does say "There's his shirt". It looks like the water was really shallow there, like, waist deep maybe.

Who knows.

Last edited: Nov 11, 2017

15. Guitarzan

Guitarzan Poster Extraordinaire

Feb 28, 2006
    Hotlanta, GA
    I watched the video and did not see anything to indicate daredevil flying, just low level operation over water, which is what an amphib does. There is good reason to practice at low lever over the water to learn how to handle the aircraft in ground effect to do go arounds, etc. in case one comes in and needs to dodge and obstruction at the last second, etc. A lot of what we do in flight training looks foreign and like playing around to uninitiated, casual observers.

There may be more to the story not reflected in the footage I saw.

16. scrapyardblue

Feb 6, 2007
    central illinois
    I felt a bit bad about changing the direction of the thread and was considering starting a Halladay thread, but since Guitarzan is here.......

Count me among the uninitiated and somebody who should wait for the report. I will say, however, that there are now several videos and hard to say who here is commenting on which. Many videos also come with articles, most with eyewitnesses that suggest he was doing dives, stunts on that day and the days right before. One person even called it a "death wish."

So no, we don't know, but it sounds like anything but routine practice.

17. Junkyard Dog

Junkyard Dog Tele-Meister

Mar 7, 2016
    USA
    Haven't seen the documentary, but I am reminded of the first time I saw pro wrestling on TV. We were kids living in Appomattox, where we got almost no TV. Somehow we stumbled on it on a Saturday morning/afternoon. Ric Flair was dressed up in a suit being interviewed when Ricky Steamboat came rushing in and attacked him, chased him around the set and into the ring, and after a few punches and so forth Steamboat tore off all of Flair's clothes (down to his undies!) and left him fuming in the middle of the ring. We must have been 7 or 8 years old, did not know exactly what we were watching, and we laughed and laughed to the point of tears!

6stringcowboy and scrapyardblue like this.

IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.