Asher Guitars WD Music Products Amplified Parts Mod Kits DIY Nordstarnd Pickups Warmoth.com
Asher Guitars WD Music Products Amplified Parts Mod Kits DIY Nordstarnd Pickups Warmoth.com

Richie Kotzen Tele

Discussion in 'Telecaster Discussion Forum' started by PaulJosephJones, Aug 22, 2017.

1. PaulJosephJones

PaulJosephJones NEW MEMBER!

Aug 22, 2017
    Liverpool England
    I have just bought my first, and new Kotzen tele while on holiday in Nashville, purely for the finish, does anyone have any experience of these, and for a country/ RnR sound would I need to change to a more relic tele pickup ( twangy ). Cheers

cmclayton101 and tery like this.

2. tery

tery Friend of Leo's

Sep 21, 2012
    Tennessee
    Welcome to TDPRI ... you have the ultimate holiday souvenir :) Congratulations !

3. rich815

rich815 Tele-Afflicted Ad Free Member

The neck pick up is a DeMarzio Twang King. Awesome pickup and twangy!

4. NashvilleDeluxe

NashvilleDeluxe Tele-Holic

May 10, 2007
    Laurentians, Quebec
    Definitely keep the neck pickup. I went through a number of them before sticking with the Twang King. It has nice Strat chime, and you can dial out some brightness by rolling back the volume a few hairs.

As for the bridge, try it out before reading too much on the interwebs. It's designed to get closer to a humbucker sound, but you might like it. I have a Lollar Special T in my bridge, which is a bit more muscular than a vintage spec, but it does great old-school by rolling back a bit.

Nice guitar...enjoy it!

5. brookdalebill

brookdalebill Telefied Ad Free Member

Nov 15, 2009
    Austin, Tx
    Howdy!
    I think the Kotzen Teles sound great, stock, as is.
    I keep checking them when I go to GC or other Big F dealers.

callasabra likes this.

6. callasabra

callasabra Tele-Afflicted

Apr 11, 2016
    USA
    You have an awesome tele! I can't imagine a more perfect guitar to cover country, rock, etc. both those pickups can twang. IF you don't get enough twang from the bridge consider rewiring the second knob (series-parallel selector) to a coil split for the bridge to have the single coil option.

I agree with others, the Twang King is good for a variety of sounds. Ritchie plays without a pick which is one reason his sound doesn't twang as much as others, but you can make it twang, others do.

And pics! sure we know what it looks like, but we still want to see it.

Heyitsmejoeg likes this.

7. Tidepoolbay

Tidepoolbay Friend of Leo's

Jan 27, 2009
    Franklin New Jersey
    I owned one. I ended up selling it to get a Les Paul.

callasabra likes this.

8. callasabra

callasabra Tele-Afflicted

Apr 11, 2016
    USA
    Everyone needs a les paul. Do what you gotta do.

9. Keymaster13

Keymaster13 Tele-Meister

Jun 4, 2016
    Austin, TX
    Love the Kotzen! Enjoy it!

10. Nick Fanis

Nick Fanis Friend of Leo's Ad Free Member

Mar 3, 2003
    Athens-GREECE
    Just put a DM Twang King bridge pup and you are rolling....

11. Paul Jenkin

Paul Jenkin Tele-Meister

Aug 17, 2017
    Essex, UK
    I don't know diddly about the gear but I do know that I love his sound and his playing. Saw him at a Winery Dogs gig in Manchester a year or so back.

Congrats on the new Tele.

12. cntry666

cntry666 Tele-Afflicted

Aug 16, 2010
    decatur, ga
    It's a great guitar. Congrats!

13. Larry K. Williams

Larry K. Williams Tele-Meister

Mar 17, 2003
    Athens, GA
    If you swap the vol pot for a pot with a SPST switch, you can keep all the wiring the same, AND get the coil-tap for the bridge. Best of all worlds that way. No wiring change. You just bring the black/white from the bridge pup, already taped together, to the switch......and the other lug to ground. Simple.

IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.