Asher Guitars WD Music Products Amplified Parts Mod Kits DIY Nordstarnd Pickups darrenriley.com
Asher Guitars WD Music Products Amplified Parts Mod Kits DIY Nordstarnd Pickups Warmoth.com
Asher Guitars WD Music Products Amplified Parts Mod Kits DIY Nordstarnd Pickups Warmoth.com

Richard Thompson

Discussion in 'Music to Your Ears' started by Dan R, Feb 4, 2019.

1. Dan R

Dan R Friend of Leo's

Mar 17, 2003
    Charleston, SC
    I know there are many RT fans here. I saw him in concert solo. RT is not to be missed.

Here's two gems from "Rumor and Sigh" a favorite of mine.

2. Deeve

Deeve Friend of Leo's Silver Supporter

Dec 7, 2009
    Ballard
    Grateful Ape, FrontPU and DeVilleDude like this.
  3. nojazzhere

nojazzhere Poster Extraordinaire

Feb 3, 2017
    Foat Wuth, Texas
    Rumor and Sigh is one of my all-time favorites......and Richard Thompson is an "all-time" favorite songwriter, guitarist and performer.....IMHO.

Grateful Ape and Dan R like this.
  4. DeVilleDude

DeVilleDude Tele-Holic

Great NPR interview, worth a listen if you're a fan or not. We're fortunate to have quite a few older players still with us whose careers span decades, and their wisdom should be absorbed and cherished before they're gone.

Manual Slim and Dan R like this.
  5. scrapyardblue

scrapyardblue Friend of Leo's Silver Supporter

Feb 6, 2007
    central illinois
    Always wanted to see RT live, would prefer the ''electric" show, but please bring the acoustic.

Still need to catch Fred Eaglesmith too, another one of my favorite storytellers.

6. charlie chitlin

charlie chitlin Doctor of Teleocity Silver Supporter

Mar 17, 2003
    Spring City, Pa
    I don't like his voice...and I never "got" him...all the accolades and hype.
    Then I saw him solo acoustic...and I got it.

7. FrontPU

FrontPU Tele-Holic

Jul 6, 2008
    nyc
    I've been his fan for decades since he was playing for FC and w/ Linda.:)
    I love his guitar tone, playing and vocals.

SnidelyWhiplash and Jim W like this.
  8. kookaburra

kookaburra Tele-Afflicted

Nov 11, 2012
    Phoenix, AZ, USA
    I like him, but have not seen him. Yet.

9. FrontPU

FrontPU Tele-Holic

Jul 6, 2008
    nyc
    I'm now playing his old CD Amnesia.
    Used to avidly listen to the album in a 120 min cassette tape on Walkman coupled with the CD Talk Is Cheap by Keith Richards. The 2 CDs released in 1988 were my favorite combination for long time.

Paul in Colorado likes this.
  10. elihu

elihu Poster Extraordinaire

Dec 24, 2009
    Texas
    His voice takes some getting used to but damn, what a songwriter. And double damn what a guitar player.

Jim W, AAT65, EllroyJames and 2 others like this.
  11. wyclif

wyclif Tele-Afflicted

Nov 29, 2011
    Philadelphia
    Richard Thompson is an incredible guitarist. When he performs 1952 Vincent Black Lightning, it really lights up an audience:

12. Geoff738

Geoff738 Poster Extraordinaire

May 11, 2007
    Toronto
    Big fan here. Since the early 80s. Seen him a bunch of times, solo, duo, band. Always amazing.

He put out a record in the fall. I didn’t see anybody here mention it, or the tour, with band, in support. I saw a couple vids, but to be honest wasn’t knocked out. Didn’t go to the show either. Anybody here go?

Cheers,
    Geoff

13. SlappyDuck

SlappyDuck Tele-Meister Silver Supporter

May 13, 2015
    Richard Thompson is an amazing solo performer.

FrontPU and Ben-Zion like this.
  14. EllroyJames

EllroyJames Friend of Leo's

Feb 18, 2013
    Sweden
  15. raysachs

raysachs Tele-Afflicted Silver Supporter

May 21, 2017
    Near Philly
    I’ve seen him several times and as much as I like him playing electric with a band, the most hair raising performances I’ve seen were just him with an acoustic guitar and his voice. One of those rare performers who can totally captivate an audience by himself with an acoustic instrument. That said, the last time I saw him like that was close to ten years ago and he’s getting to the age where the energy to rise to that level of intensity might be flagging a bit. Saw him play electric just a few years ago and he was still pretty great.

-Ray

16. AAT65

AAT65 Friend of Leo's Silver Supporter

It never occurred to me not like his voice, though I guess it is pretty distinctive — but he writes great songs and plays fantastic guitar, both electric and acoustic. The Fairport albums he did and the Richard and Linda T albums are way up there on my favourites lists.
    One of the things that got me looking into his catalogue in the first place was this performance by David Gilmour of one of his songs:

FrontPU and SnidelyWhiplash like this.
  17. Norris Vulcan

Norris Vulcan Tele-Meister

RT is out-of-the-park good. Seen him many times over the years, and got myself a Lowden for that sound.
    When you hear his electric playing, like the solo in Tear-Stained Letter ^^, I would dare to suggest he's one of the very few who could be compared to Jeff Beck.

I'll get my coat...

SnidelyWhiplash and Ben-Zion like this.
  18. Grateful Ape

Grateful Ape Tele-Meister

Mar 16, 2013
    UK
    Been a fan since late 80's. Really loved the Mitchell Froom albums but also the Richard and Linda ones. Prefer him electric, I think. I think 'Mirror Blue' might be my favourite.

19. Paul-T

Paul-T TDPRI Member

Nov 23, 2018
    London
    Absolutely. One of my favourite songs of all time. It's had to avoid crying when I see him play this live. This version is just a little slower and darker.

I was a new wave kid and when I first heard this song... I thought it was Tom Verlaine on guitar and John Cale on vocals. A dream pairing.

Grateful Ape likes this.
  20. Grateful Ape

Grateful Ape Tele-Meister

Mar 16, 2013
    UK
    Not quite my favourite RT album, but certainly the one with the strongest emotional resonance. Yes, a girl was involved....

IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.